View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 5:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tigers - A's : ALCS 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Tigers - A's : ALCS
Conversion wrote:
Quote:
WOOOOOOOOOOOO

Okay Swami...I mean Billy...give us the lowdown on the A's series! Okay...we'll wait until the release the pitching lineups.

Tigers beat the A's in 5.
in the, " Will the Tigers beat the Yankies", thread.

I have been researching the A's today. Everything that I have read suggests that this is going to be a nail biter series. The Tigers and A's are so evenly matched that everyone will be on the edge of their seat from the 1st pitch of game 1 until the final pitch of game 7.

I am going to say Tigers in 7.

Here is a good article from MLB.com:

Quote:
Tigers-A's ALCS good for baseball
Surprising teams, but results based on solid moves
By Mike Bauman / MLB.com

DETROIT -- And so "Moneyball" meets "Jimmyball" in a meeting of two clubs that were not necessarily expected to be here, but certainly deserve to be here.

Many believed that the 2006 American League Championship Series would feature the Minnesota Twins vs. the New York Yankees. The Twins were, after all, baseball's hottest team in the second half of the season. And the Yankees were, after all, the Yankees.

But the Oakland Athletics and the Detroit Tigers had other plans. These teams may have been underdogs in their Division Series, but they both share the traits that make for postseason success. They have pitching talent and pitching depth, they have the proven ability to hit in the clutch, they have managers who are, at the very least, among the best in the game.

So they both come to this ALCS on merit. And they both come rolling, Oakland with a sweep over Minnesota, Detroit with one loss, but then three straight victories over New York.

And the presence of both teams here is a very good thing for baseball. Not that the Yankees and the Twins would have been bad for the game. The Twins are an example of accomplishing much with relatively small financial resources. And the Yankees, love them or hate them, are always good for business.

The Athletics are the Twins of the West Coast, except that they have been much more highly publicized. The Michael Lewis book "Moneyball" celebrated the acumen of Oakland general manager Billy Beane and his ability to win without having anything like a wealthy franchise.

It is good that a franchise in the lower half of player payroll has come this far. It offers some evidence of increased competitive balance, but more than that, it gives hope to less-than-wealthy franchises. The hope is that baseball intelligence can triumph over money.

The Tigers aren't the Yankees in player payroll, either, but their contribution to the game's well-being is slightly different than Oakland's. The Tigers are evidence that a franchise can rise up from long years of failure and become successful through astute acquisitions and an injection of solid leadership.

The second quality is where manager Jim Leyland comes in. The Tigers have a brand new mind-set under Leyland. It's an all-things-are-possible approach that has made a long franchise losing streak a mere memory. Again, the Tigers can serve as role models for franchises in similar circumstances. Find the right players, hire the right manager and you, too, can move on over to the win column.

The news keeps getting better. Both teams have already ended droughts this autumn. The Athletics had not won a postseason series since 1990. The Tigers had not even been in the postseason since 1987.

So someone is going to turn what is already a postseason breakthrough into a pennant. All the available evidence suggests a very well-matched ALCS.

"Watching [the Athletics] on TV, they are pitching their tail off," Yankees manager Joe Torre said. "They seem to be getting healthier. You know, they have got their closer back. This ballclub [Detroit] is a little more explosive probably offensively. But Oakland is playing with a great deal of confidence.

"It's just, they probably should be hard-fought games, because they both have a pitching staff that's pretty deep and both managers are pretty proud of using these guys any time he wants."

So if neither of these teams was a unanimous choice to come this far, the fact that they deserve to have come this far is easily established. This will not be the ALCS that many expected, but there is a chance that might be even better than the ALCS that many expected.

These two teams aren't playing to see which can make the loftier contribution to baseball's general welfare. Winning the pennant and going to the World Series might be of more immediate concern than that.

But both the Oakland Athletics and the Detroit Tigers are examples that good things can happen to franchises that do things the right way. You could ask for more familiar teams to be here. But you couldn't ask for better baseball examples to be here. And one of them is going to be a good baseball example in the 2006 World Series.

October 8th, 2006, 9:32 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Interestingly, the Tigers and A's played 9 times this season. The Tigers won 5 and the A's won 4. Here is a listing of the date and outcome of each game. :

April 18. Tigers lost 3-4.
April 19. Tigers won 11-4.
April 20. Tigers won 4-3.
July 3. Tigers lost 3-5.
July 4. Tigers lost 1-2.
July 5. Tigers won 10-4.
July 21. Tigers won 7-4.
July 22. Tigers lost 5-9.
July 23. Tigers won 8-4.

Total Runs for the Tigers : 52

Total runs for Oakland: 39

This suggest that either the Tigers offense is a little better than Oakland's or the Tigers Pitching is a little better than Oakland's. Maybe even a combination of both. But, I will stick with my Tigers in 7 prediction.

October 8th, 2006, 9:52 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'll wait for the pitching matchups before I predict.

October 8th, 2006, 11:23 pm
Profile WWW
Red Shirt Freshman

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

October 9th, 2006, 6:58 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I don't need to see the pitching matchups. I agree with Billy, the Tigers will win in 7. It will be a nailbiter series, but I just believe that Dertoits pitchers are on an emotional high right now and baseball is a game of momentum. The thing is, the A's are on a roll as well, having swept the Twins and winning two games in the Metrodome, not an easy thing to do. I just feel our lineup, top to bottom, will do a better job of generating runs and our bullpen is slightly better than theirs.

As for pitching matchups, Rogers and Bonderman have shown that as long as they take care of business, it does'nt matter who is opposing them. There is a reason Detroit has led the majors in ERA all season. It really wasn't even close. Our team ERA was under 4.00, and no other team in baseball had a team ERA under 4.00. Oakland is good, but we are better.

Tim

October 9th, 2006, 2:53 pm
Modmin Dude

Can some one tell me why the Tigers don't have home field advantage??? We ended the season with a better record than Oakland and we beat them overall this year. How come we don't have home field???

October 10th, 2006, 4:25 pm
RIP Killer

We're the wild card. They won their division. Records don't matter when you come in 2nd in your division.

October 10th, 2006, 4:31 pm
Modmin Dude

Thanks. For some reason I thought they re-seeded.

October 10th, 2006, 6:46 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Man, I was impressed with Robertson's pitching to strike out the side when there was runners on 2nd and 3rd.

GO TIGERS!!!

NEVER GIVE UP!

October 11th, 2006, 10:51 am

Wow. I certainly expected Zito to pitch better. After sitting down our first 8 hitters, he just fell apart. It was pretty impressive to see our guys taking pitches and working counts. I really expected Zito to put the A's up 1-0 in the series. I may need to change my prediction to the Tigers in 5 games....

Tim

October 11th, 2006, 11:13 am
Red Shirt Freshman

I'll keep my prediction that the Tigers will win.!!!!

:)

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

October 11th, 2006, 3:01 pm
National Champion

well now that Robertson won game one and pitched well that was the Tigers biggest question mark in terms of pitching. We already beat Zito the a's best pitcher , now we have the big three going with Verlander, Rogers and Bonderman it could be a sweep.

October 11th, 2006, 5:41 pm
Hall of Fame Player

well now that Robertson won game one and pitched well that was the Tigers biggest question mark in terms of pitching. We already beat Zito the a's best pitcher , now we have the big three going with Verlander, Rogers and Bonderman it could be a sweep.

Verlander won tonight. Despite not having his best stuff.

This has been far easier than I expected. But, and I hate saying this, Friday will be a Tigers Loss. Rogers pitched such an emotional game against the Yankees that I think he will have a let down on Friday. But, fear not Tigers fans, I am upgrading my prediction of Tigers in 7. This series WILL NOT RETURN TO OAKLAND :!: TIGERS IN 5 :!:

October 11th, 2006, 11:51 pm

Ha Billy! I mean Nastradamus...I beat you to the 5 game prediction...LOL! But seriously, I'm with you. I don't know about Rogers being the one losing, but I just expect the A's to break thru in one of these games. We have been dodging bullets in the first 2 games, and our good luck is bound to run out. But I will be overjoyed if we do sweep :cheers:

Tim

October 12th, 2006, 9:51 am
RIP Killer

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, I called 5 games like a week ago.

You guys are slow.

October 12th, 2006, 12:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next