View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 10:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Trade Proposal 
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Trade Proposal
Could we offer Charles Rogers to move up to the top3 and pick Edwards? Where would Rogers rate if healthy compared to this year's prospects? Would a team take a chance on him? Would we be willing to trade him for a new, hopefully, more healthy replacement? Do we regret drafting him yet?

April 8th, 2005, 2:04 am
Hall of Fame Player

I'm personally not disappointed in Charles Rogers himself. I am disappointed in his streak of bad luck but I don't blame him for it. I'd feel differently if these injuries where the minor nagging type of injury that he used as an excuse to not play - but that's not the case. He can't help it that he broke his collar bone twice - it just happened.

I'm not sure another team would give much for him in a trade - why would they? We wouldn't get another 1st round pick straight up and it would accelerate the unused prorated portion of his signing bonus into the salary cap. I don't know that number off the top of my head but it's a cap hit we'd have trouble overcoming. Furthermore, if we offered Charles just to move up to the # 3 spot that would be the equivalent of giving away our 1st round pick of 2 years ago plus this years # 1. That's two (2) 1st rounders to move 4 spots. We would be ripping ourselves off.

Why pay that much if CR is healthy (and he should be)?

I look at it like this:

There's only 3 things that can happen.
1) We trade him and take a cap hit.
2) We keep him and he never helps us win.
3) We keep him and he does help us win, if not become a star.

Well, # 1 would be a 'for sure'. # 2 is a slim maybe. # 3 is the most likely scenario.

Honestly, if the Lions tried to deal him now the other teams would think something is really very wrong and his value would plummet. There's a chance he may never be worth the 1st round pick we spent on him but we won't know that until this season is over. If the Lions don't think he'll come back at 100% I think they're best off getting a receiver in the draft - which it's likely they'll do anyway. The question is; Where in the draft?

The Lions confidence in CR's recovery is directly proportional to where they draft a receiver. High draft pick = low confidence. Low draft pick = high confidence.

April 8th, 2005, 6:30 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

That would be a massive cap hit. Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards might not be as good of prospects IMO, but they're right up there, and both are healthy. I don't think any team would want to trade unless we were to get screwed in the deal.

April 8th, 2005, 7:40 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

That would be a massive cap hit.

Yeah, somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 million. new_shocked.gif

April 8th, 2005, 11:15 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]