View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 10:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 SMUDGEGATE!!??!! 
Modmin Dude

Post SMUDGEGATE!!??!!
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. What do you guys think about it? It certainly didn't look like dirt to me.....

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 9/61024008

October 24th, 2006, 4:07 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I didn't bring it up because the national media is already exploiting the hell out of it, but you're right, it certainly didn't look like dirt. Thing is, as Todd Jones said, it's not anything that is new. He said he used pine tar before. Bottom line, if you don't get caught, it's not cheating. As the rule states, even if the ump see's it, it is up to their discretion whether the player was using it to blatantly help him, or whether it was just there. I don't see it as a big deal because after he cleaned it off, he still pitched another 7 scorless innings. Nuff said....

Tim

October 24th, 2006, 4:54 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Pitchers have been doctoring the ball since the game was invented to get an adavantage. You could make the arguement that it is all part of the game, if you get caught too bad but if you can get away with it, so be it. There are pitchers in the HOF who have testified to doing this during their career and they laugh about it today. Gayolord Perry is the one who comes to mind that was very notorious for this. Now why Rogers had it in plain sight and why LaRusso didn't fight it, is beyond me. I wonder if the smudge would even have been noticed if FOX hadn't zoomed in on Kenny's hand. You know someone is watching the game in the clubhouse either to catch something the other team is doing (like stealing signs) or just to stay warm. And the way McCarver was carrying on it was like he was still wearing the Cardinals uniform and he was facing Mickey Lolich again. After Kenny washed his hands he was actually a better pitcher the next seven innings, so maybe the Cards should of just kept quiet.

October 24th, 2006, 5:20 pm
Post Re: SMUDGEGATE!!??!!
TheRealWags wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. What do you guys think about it? It certainly didn't look like dirt to me.....

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article? ... 9/61024008

You had to go ruin it... I was glad that we refrained from talking about it on here... IMO it is a non-issue. Kenny kicked their azz with and without the smudge, mostly without... Next game plz...

October 24th, 2006, 8:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]