View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Tigers acquire Gary Sheffield 
Stadium Announcer

Post The Tigers acquire Gary Sheffield
See link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656847

Of course, now we have to figure out what's gonna happen with our outfield. Should Sheffield move to right field, but where does Maggs go? How about C-Mo, do we resign him? Many questions still have to get answered.

But at least we now have a big bat in the middle of our lineup

November 10th, 2006, 5:25 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Post Re: The Tigers acquire Gary Sheffield
Godmoney wrote:

But at least we now have a big bat in the middle of our lineup

AGREE!

November 10th, 2006, 5:30 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

I think we still sign monroe. somebody has to DH beside s i think Gary and maggs will split time in right and DH , sheffield also can play left and get some games in at first. And the best part is we Gave up Nobody off the current roster. they say these three pitchers have potential , but Sanchez ended the season on the DL and the other two guys are only in rookie ball. this is a good trade.

November 10th, 2006, 8:24 pm
3rd Round Selection

Leyland says Sheffield will play mostly DH but will play some RF and possibly some LF. Deffinatly gives us the kind of bat we were looking for but I dont think we are going to stop here, we still need someone at First Base so I still expect us to try to make a move for someone there, I just dont think they are going to make the mistake of relying on an unproven guy like shelton again.

November 10th, 2006, 8:44 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I like Sheffield as a player, but I don't like the taint of steriods on the team now, and Sheffield's affect on the chemistry.

November 10th, 2006, 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

The taint of the steroid scandal in baseball was already on this team with Pudge and the talk about Sheffield being a cancer is pointless, Sheffield never had clubhouse problems out there until the yankees gave his job away when he was injuerd, he felt he was f*cked by the yankees and he let everyone know, end of story. Leyland and Sheffield have known each other for years and respect each other, if leyland says Sheffield is good for chemistry then he is good for chemistry.

November 10th, 2006, 9:59 pm
National Champion

now that they have there big bat, i dont see why they just dont go out and resign casey if they can get him at a lower salary.

November 10th, 2006, 11:32 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! If he was 34 or so, OK. But 38?

November 11th, 2006, 2:27 am
3rd Round Selection

I could see your point if he was going to be a positional player or was injury prone but he will play DH and has always stayed healthy except for a freak injury last year. There have been plenty of players that have shown that you can perform well at his age, especially if all you are doing is DH'ing. Sheffield regularly hits 300/30/120 or so year in and year out and there is no reason to believe that he wont continue to to do so for us.

November 11th, 2006, 4:33 am
Stadium Announcer

I think that if we moved Sheffield to the outfield it would have solved most of the problems that we have. We could have maybe moved Maggs to first base (depending on if we resigned Monroe), but now if he is going to be the DH, we are going to have to find a first baseman.

We could attempt to move Maggs, but his contract is too poisonous for most teams to swallow. If we could move him, we could place Sheffield into right.

That doesn't mean that I believe that Casey isn't a good player, he is still, but we could upgrade. Casey is very valuable to us, for he is a left handed hitter, while Sheffield will add another righty to our lineup. Nobody in the market at first is that great, so what do we do next?

We could move Guillen to first base, but then who plays shortstop? Guillen by far isn't too old to be playing shortstop, but he did lead the majors this year in errors at short. We could move Ramon Santiago to short, because he is a better fielder than Guillen but he is a terrible contact hitter. Of course, we could make a run at Alfonso Soriano and attempt to move him at short, but can we afford him, because he'll be the most coveted free agent on the market.

We could attempt to make another move in the off-season to acquire a Mark Teixeira or a Mike Lamb, but will it cost too much.

This will be an interesting off-season. And we still have two free agents to debate to resign in Monroe and Jamie Walker.

November 11th, 2006, 5:51 am
League MVP

here is what i want the tigers to do with whats left of FA. Sign Justin Speier, Frank Catalonotto, and Craig Counsell.
that makes our lineup like this:

1 Granderson L-CF
2 Polanco R-2B
3 Sheffield R-DH
4 Ordonez R-RF
5 Guillen S-SS
6 Rodriguez R-C
7 Catalonotto L-1B
8 Monroe R-LF
9 Inge R-3B
C Wilson
RF/LF Thames
IF/CF Infante
IF Counsell
Counsell could start at times to give us a lefty heavy lineup moving guillen to DH or 3B. Adding the big cat gives us a 300 hitter that can get on base, do little things ala polanco, and importantly is a lefty. id prefer him over casey because of injuries and bc casey clogs the bases. catalonotto can also play OF and 2b in a pinch. speier could give another nice arm to the bullpen, upgrading jason grilli.

and we still have chris shelton, alexis gomes, brent clevlen, ramon santiago as guys who could help from the minors. TIGERS in 2007

November 11th, 2006, 11:31 pm
RIP Killer

here is what i want the tigers to do with whats left of FA. Sign Justin Speier, Frank Catalonotto, and Craig Counsell.

1 Granderson L-CF
2 Polanco R-2B
3 Sheffield R-DH
4 Ordonez R-RF
5 Guillen S-SS
6 Rodriguez R-C
7 Catalonotto L-1B
8 Monroe R-LF
9 Inge R-3B
C Wilson
RF/LF Thames
IF/CF Infante
IF Counsell
Counsell could start at times to give us a lefty heavy lineup moving guillen to DH or 3B. Adding the big cat gives us a 300 hitter that can get on base, do little things ala polanco, and importantly is a lefty. id prefer him over casey because of injuries and bc casey clogs the bases. catalonotto can also play OF and 2b in a pinch. speier could give another nice arm to the bullpen, upgrading jason grilli.

and we still have chris shelton, alexis gomes, brent clevlen, ramon santiago as guys who could help from the minors. TIGERS in 2007

Great analysis Legend.

Agree with you with that. I'm not a Grilli fan.

November 11th, 2006, 11:57 pm
3rd Round Selection

1 Granderson L-CF
2 Polanco R-2B
3 Sheffield R-DH
4 Ordonez R-RF
5 Guillen S-SS
6 Rodriguez R-C
7 Catalonotto L-1B
8 Monroe R-LF
9 Inge R-3B
C Wilson
RF/LF Thames
IF/CF Infante
IF Counsell

Might want to substitute Cat with Aubrey Huff in your evaluation since thats who everyone seems to be saying the tigers are eyeing. Catalonotto is a good hitter but little pop in his bat for a position that you normally expect some power from. Huff gives us exactly what we wanted at first coming into this offseason, which in my opinion hasnt changed with the addition of Sheffield, you can never have too much power and without giving up any of our starting pitching adding Huff and Sheffield both would be huge for this team. Only other thing we really need for next year is a real lead-off hitter so we can move grandy to the bottom of the order where he belongs.

November 12th, 2006, 1:04 am
The Legend wrote:

1 Granderson L-CF
2 Polanco R-2B
3 Sheffield R-DH
4 Ordonez R-RF
5 Guillen S-SS
6 Rodriguez R-C
7 Catalonotto L-1B
8 Monroe R-LF
9 Inge R-3B
C Wilson
RF/LF Thames
IF/CF Infante
IF Counsell

Great analysis Legend.

Agree with you with that. I'm not a Grilli fan.

Don't under-estimate Grilli's locker-room presense though... I'mnot saying it's worth his salary or spot on the lineup, but IMO we would have to have a fairly handed upgrade before I would consider moving him... He seems like he is friends with everyone and his light-hearted temperment calms players down... My knowledge of his personality came to light in the playoffs... He's a good guy even if he's not a great pitcher... That said... I wasn't crazy about him last year either as a pitcher... I do however think he is serviceable and wouldn't replace him butfor a nice upgrade.

November 12th, 2006, 1:34 am
League MVP

i agree huff would also be a good choice and would be a bigger target at 1b with also the possibility of playing some 3b. i prefer catalanotto over him bc he has been very consistent. while he lacks the hr power of huff he could still drive in runs here, he did have 36 doubles in 400+ ab with toronto, he could get near 50 with the ab and stadium change. huff and cat have pretty close slugging perc numbers as it is. big cat would probably come cheaper and ask for a shorter contract as well. im also a little scared that huff has seen a post steroids testing decline.

November 12th, 2006, 3:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next