View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 6:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Tigers acquire Gary Sheffield 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I agree with Rob Shadows. Go after Huff next. I still don't like the Sheffield trade, but I am warming up to it.

November 12th, 2006, 10:22 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Sheffield trade gave me flashbacks to another era.
Circa 1983....
The Tigers were excited coming off a very solid season that raised their hopes for a World Series ring the next season. In an attempt to streangthen the pitching staff, they traded a VERY promissing minor league SP for an aging but crafty vetran SP. John Smoltz packed his bags and headed for a Hall of Fame career to Atlanta. The Tigers got their ring in 1984 with Doyle Alexander becoming a key part of the rotation. 2 seasons later, Alexander retired and Smoltz was entering the prime of his career.

I can't help but wonder if the Tigers just committed the same sin with sending Humberto Sanchez to the #1 team in any sport on my hate list.

November 13th, 2006, 12:22 am
Stadium Announcer

I can't help but wonder if the Tigers just committed the same sin with sending Humberto Sanchez to the #1 team in any sport on my hate list.

Humberto Sanchez is a good pitcher, but he gets injured way too often. We have enough young talented pitchers that we can afford to move some of our talent, for pieces in the present. If anything, we traded Sanchez for an older player in Sheffield, when we could have moved him for Soriano during the trade deadline. Would that move have won us the World Series? But if we made that move, Soriano would have to sign a multi-year deal for it to work.

It’s arguable that Sanchez is not our best young pitcher in the farming system, where some people in the Tiger’s organization believe that is Miller.

And if you look at the move as “the #1 team in any sport on my hate list,” wouldn’t the Yankees feel the same way since that got beat by the team that they just traded a big bat to. You gotta make moves to move ahead and it would a move that we had to make. We have nobody in the middle and Gary gives us that. As long as we don’t trade in the division, in such a big move fashion, that I’m happy.

November 13th, 2006, 6:53 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Just thought I would add some interesting things that have been discussed in the Detroit press:

1) Dombrowski is still talking to the GM of the Rangers, but has said he wasn't discussing Texeira, but rather some other lower tier players on the team. Not sure who else he may want from the Rangers though?

2) Dombrowski was also talking to Atlanta about 1st baseman Adam Laroche. Laroche is a left handed bat, young, and cheap. But Atlanta is said to want alot in return to consider trading him.

3) Aubrey Huff is still being talked about. His price tag keeps going up w/ the dirth of free agents, but he is still the best option for 1st base, IMO. Besides, we wouldn't have to give up any of our young talent to sign him, but he would cost us our #1 pick in next years draft.

4) Jamie Walker and his agent are looking for a multi year contract and his asking price could go up to $4 mil a year since there is not a lot of quality relievers available in the FA market. I like Walker, but not a $4 mil a year.

Thoughts?

Tim

November 15th, 2006, 3:10 pm

Well, its been reported that Walker has agreed in principle to a 3 year, $12 mil contract from the Orioles. All he has to do now is pass the physical. Looks like we are now in the market for some left handed middle relief. Any suggestions?

Tim

November 16th, 2006, 9:42 am
Hall of Fame Player

Man, that sucks. I always liked Walker. I also think that he was under used.

Walker is probably the best situational left hander in the league. Any replacement is bound to be a downgrade.

November 16th, 2006, 10:17 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Yeah, this sucks, why did Dombrowski let him get away?

November 16th, 2006, 11:12 am
Profile WWW

I like Walker, but he is up there in age (38 i think?), and Dombrowski wasn't willing to give him $4 mil a year. Actually, he may have payed him that much, but only for a season, 2 at the most. The thinking is we have enough talented arms in our farm system that can be competing for time in the bullpen here in the next year or 2.

Tim

November 16th, 2006, 11:56 am
Stadium Announcer

Walker, but he is up there in age (38 i think?), .

Walker is 35

November 16th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Per Detroit Free Press, 1st baseman Sean Casey has re-signed for 1 year.....

Tim

November 16th, 2006, 5:15 pm
RIP Killer

It's a shame, but he's not worth that much coin IMO.

Casey is a hell of a sign.

November 16th, 2006, 11:36 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Walker was one of my favorite pitchers.

It's a shame, but he's not worth that much coin IMO.

Casey is a hell of a sign.

Agree on both points, but I think we should have bitten the bullet and paid Walker. Three years is a little long, but you can always trade lefty relievers.

November 17th, 2006, 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2