View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 3:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Breaking News !!!!!!!!!!! R.I.P. Bo Schembeckler !!! 
Veteran General Manager

Post Breaking News !!!!!!!!!!! R.I.P. Bo Schembeckler !!!
Bo was taping his weekly TV show today and had to be taken to the hospital AGAIN. No details as to how serious his condition is.

November 17th, 2006, 11:37 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Wow, 2 times in the last few weeks. That is not good. I hope and pray everything is well with Bo.......

Tim

November 17th, 2006, 11:52 am
Veteran General Manager

It certainly tempers the mood for tommorows national championship game, doesn't it?

Last report, Bo is in critical condition.

November 17th, 2006, 12:12 pm
Site Admin

He has passed away... :(

Quote:
Bo Schembechler passed away on Friday morning, according to WJR Radio reports.

Schembechler, who had a medical emergency and was transported to Providence Hospital, was 77 years old.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/10344760/detail.html

R.I.P. Bo

November 17th, 2006, 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

That is sad.. RIP Bo and let's go out and win this game for him.

NEVER GIVE UP!

November 17th, 2006, 1:17 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

This certainly puts perspective on the game.....that it is just a game.....

This definitely sombers my mood before the game.....

Tim

November 17th, 2006, 1:31 pm
Veteran General Manager

This is a man that did more for his team and college football in general than almost any 10 men you want to put together. Bo will be sorely missed. If ever a man was the textbook definition of his institution, it was Bo Schembechler.

November 17th, 2006, 1:39 pm
Veteran General Manager

It's an absolute shame that Bo won't be able to wath the real National Championship in body. Hopefully, Bo will be there in spirit on the sidelines, encouraging and prompting Lloyd and the players onto victory.

I hope OSU does the right thing and holds a moment of silence for BO before the game with some sort of tribute to him.

November 17th, 2006, 2:03 pm
Veteran General Manager

Quote:
Remembering Schembechler
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
November 17, 2006

Dan Wetzel
Yahoo! Sports
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – They decided to bring a stool out for Bo Schembechler, because he was 77 and fresh off a heart procedure and everyone knew that once he got going at Monday’s press conference, once he started regaling everyone with stories of Ohio State and Michigan, of he and Woody, of a bygone era when college football was both more and less important, he was going to keep going.

Bo needed a stool. Bo needed to sit. Bo needed some help.

“I think I’ll stand,” he said, of course.

Bo Schembechler died Friday of a massive heart attack just before he filmed his weekly television show, just at the end of another busy, uncompromising week. If there is any solace to the sadness here, any silver lining to the loss, it is that Bo went out like Bo, fulfilling obligations, refusing to slow down, accepting no stool to sit on.

The winningest coach in University of Michigan history, a giant of an icon here in the Midwest, a legend of the sport, is gone on the eve of the biggest game in a rivalry he helped turn into arguably the best in all of sports.

“I just don't see one any bigger than this,” he said.

Monday he was everything Bo Schembechler ever was, charismatic yet uncompromising, charming yet combative. Bo was never one to tell stories about himself, that’s the kind of self promoting he would never stand for. But here on game week he was willing to talk about Woody Hayes, he was willing to stick up for his protégé, Lloyd Carr, he was willing to choose sides and say the things that others couldn’t or wouldn’t and fight for what he always believes is right.

He would laugh one minute and growl the next. He would bash Ohio State for silly gamesmanship one sentence and praise its class the next.

“I hope Bo didn’t say anything to screw this up,” Carr smiled, wondering if old Bo had just given the Buckeyes bulletin board material.

He hadn’t, of course. Schembechler was always tough but always respectful, especially about Ohio State, whose own excellence had driven him to greatness.

He was, as always, a throw back to a time when football was about building character, about accepting challenges instead of money, fame or glory. A window into a day and age that is about gone for good now, and not for the better. It sounds trite until you listened to Schembechler, until you looked into his eyes and saw the truth.

Bo never believed in national championships, never believed there should be or could be anything greater for a Michigan team than beating Ohio State, winning the Big Ten and playing in the Rose Bowl. He never cared to hold the school up for money, to move games to night for television, to play on a weekday, to make kids miss class.

For as unbending as his demands were, for as tough as he could be, for as all-encompassing as his focus was on winning football games for the Maize and Blue, he also always fell back on a realization that this was nothing more than extracurricular pursuit, that academics were the priority, that this wasn’t the pros.

He coached 20 years at Michigan (and five prior to that at his alma mater, Miami of Ohio). His team’s reached 10 Rose Bowls, including three in the final four seasons before he retired in 1989.

That run of success, 235 career victories, is what he will always be remembered for on the field. But Schembechler was always more proud of the kids he turned into men, of the degrees that were hanging on office walls, of the fact that in two decades the NCAA investigators never even bothered to sniff around Ann Arbor.

Bo Schembechler did things his way, without excuse, without debate and his way turned out to be the best way.

He believed in personal integrity and responsibility, of ethics that never wavered, of doing things only one way – the right way – because any other way wasn’t worth doing.

He coached hundreds of players and taught scores of young coaches, but he also, through his powerful position, was a rock who navigated the turbulent 60s and 70s, inspiring a state, a region, a country even, with the reminder that bedrock values still had their place.

He wasn’t just a role model to his players, but to a lot of everyday people who had never been near Ann Arbor.

He was fair to whites and blacks, to men and women, to rich and poor, old and young. Even in his retirement, even as old age and modern challenges could have made him callous and unreasonable, he was still trying to relate to the kids, still trying to live in a bright new day.

Here in his final week, he was just as alive and just as active as ever. He wasn’t going to attend the game because travel was difficult, but he was as engaged in it as ever.

“I'm as excited as you are about this game,” he said. “Because I love to see Ohio State and Michigan come down to the end and, ‘let's play it.’”

"The leaders and the best," hails the school fight song.

About one man they could have written it for.

Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist. Send Dan a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

November 17th, 2006, 3:21 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Your contributions to the University of Michigan and college football is beyond measure and your legacy will live on for eternity.

November 17th, 2006, 4:49 pm
Varsity 1st Team

November 17th, 2006, 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

Wow. This is sad. The biggest game of the century just turned itself into the biggest book, and Movie of the year. Talk about Irony one day before his beloved maize and Blue takes the field against the hated Ohio state Buckeyes he passes away. atleast we know Bo will be now watching the game with his Friend, mentor, and opponent Woody Hayes. Bo had attended practice on monday and had stayed the whole two hours. He was asked later in an interview how they looked " They were flying around to the ball, hitting everything in site , one of the best practices we've had in a long time". After practice Lloyd Carr let Bo address the team. i dont know what was said but If you indulge me a bit i'd like to give it a shot .

Men You are playing the Ohio state buckeyes on Sautrday. I do not need to remind you who has won 5 of the last six meetings, no football players dont forget that stuff. It will be cold and the crowd will be against you so what? Are we just suppose to give up? NO Not at Michigan we dont.
Ohio State has the All American Quarteback Troy Smith. Henne are you ready to play better then Troy Smith? Gentleman Ohio state has the great Tedd Ginn jr at WR . Are you ready to play better then him? And Ohio State also has the talented mean and nasty End Quinn Pitcock. Are you ready to keep him off our Quarter back? Good!!!!!This is Michigan Ohio state , this isnt for the national championship, this is for pride, the big ten championship and a trip to the national championship game. This is the biggest football game you will ever play in .This game will define what college football is all about . Now lets Go out ther Play some football and Beat those Buckeyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rest in peace Bo . Go BLUE

November 17th, 2006, 8:08 pm
NFL Team Captain

Damn HLC ypuhave me wanting to tackle someone. I just hope that the kids at UofM can deal with such a awesome task. Bo is and will alwaysbe agod on the UofM campus. Rest in Peace Bo but we know that you will be at the game and we will win for you!

November 17th, 2006, 11:55 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

This was certainly a sad day for Michigan and college football fans alike. We lost a great man today and he will be missed.

November 18th, 2006, 1:39 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I heard about his passing while at work this morning. I have no shame in stating that as a 35 year old man who has never met Bo, I shed a tear upon hearing of his death. He wasn't the greatest Bowl coach and never won a national championship but he was a man of conviction. He told the truth, expected the truth in return and believed in turning high school kids into respectful young men and he did it all the right way.

I will miss what Bo represented and what he meant to college football. Most of all I will miss his approach and honesty.

R.I.P. Bo. We'll miss you.

November 18th, 2006, 2:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next