View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 UofM -vs- OSU: Smack Talk & Game Facts 
Veteran General Manager

Now that Michigan has lost, I'll add that UM can't win with that POS Chad Henne at QB. Unfortunately, we're going to be stuck with the human statue for another year before the Ryan Mallett era begins. I can't wait for that useless, over-rated statue to graduate so Michigan might actually have a chance to win some big games. Screw you, Chad Henne.

Of course, that useless POS isn't totally to blame for this loss 42-39, but if he could have made a couple of plays, there would have been a different outcome. Those that know me know how much I hate him and can't wait to see him gone. Screw You Henne!

I don't blame Henne at all for this loss. He had a pretty good game. I Blame this loss on Carr. What the HELL kind of game plan was that? PASS, PASS, PASS, PASS, PASS, PASS, PASS, AND PASS SOME MORE.

Memo to Lloyd !

Bo's body is spinning at the morgue from your idiotic game plan. Mike Hart is the horse you rode all season long and got you to this game tonight. So, you, in your infinite wisdom, saw fit to completely ignore him in the 1st half. WAY TO GO MORON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTHING LIKE A BUNCH OF QUICK 3 AND OUTS TO PUT OSU'S OFFENSE BACK ON THE FIELD.

Fire Carr NOW !

Don't even tell me about how great his record is. A great record didn't stop Ohio State from firing John Cooper. They fired him because there was only 1 team that he just could not beat. MICHIGAN.

Well, now there is 1 team that Carr JUST CANNOT BEAT !

LLOYD (NEEDS TO GET IN HIS ) CARR ( AND HIT THE ROAD ) !

November 18th, 2006, 11:18 pm
Stadium Announcer

I did not get to see the 2nd half so I can't say that Henne played good or bad there. I thought Henne played well in the first half but the one play when he got sacked/threw the ball away and took a grounding was a stupid play.

I also love Mario Manningham and on the ball that was overthrown to him down the sideline that would have been a TD made me loose some respect for him and made me realize he is NOT in Henne's corner. He threw his arms up well before the ball got there instead of going harder and laying out and trying to get it. I don't think he would have got it...but he should have tried.

As far as Carr goes...I have been thankful for years that he is U of M's coach...but didn't he give up play calling this year or am I wrong here?

Anyway, I hope this game comes out on DVD because it is a keeper, Besides that...then I can watch the 2nd half and really see the whole game...or is this game going to be an instant classic?

Anyway, GREAT GAME (At least what I saw and was able to hear) and of course.....

GO BUCKEYES!!!

November 19th, 2006, 1:45 am
QB Coach

U of M sucks...they're too money driven and unfriendly.

Actually this would be Notre Dame who is money hungry, that is why they left a dedicated schedule. They didn't like sharing the money with the Big Ten Schools.

Speaking of the Whining Irish, I can't believe that there isn't a way to get the announcers to discuss that Notre Dame is 10 - 1 against, North Carolina, Air Force, Army, Navy. and Stanford. That is 5 easy games, although they portray it as a difficult season. WHY WON'T ANY OF YOU NEWSPAPER GUYS USE YOUR CONNECTIONS AND GET THIS INFO TO THE BIGGER GUYS?

Notre Dame should not be in contention for the Naiton Championship, especially over WISCONSIN, who also lost to Michigan. Wisconsin, had a tougher schedule, and should be rated higher than ND.

I've been reading this kind of thing about ND for a while and I haven't said anything up until now, but I can't hold back anymore. You accuse ND of whining, yet that's all you are doing about them. Waaahhhh...Wisconsin is better... waaaahhh...they play a tougher schedule...waaahhhh....

But, if you actually take the time to look at the data, the real picture becomes a whole lot clearer. Both are 1 loss teams. Both lost to Michigan. Wisconsin lost 27-13 and Notre Dame lost 47-21. Now, let's take a look at the stats:

Rushing Average (yds/game)
Wisconsin: 179.9
Nortre Dame: 114.0

Passing Avg(yds/game)
Wisconsin: 203.2
Notre Dame: 279.3

Total Offense (Yds/game)
Wisconsin: 395.4
Notre Dame: 412.2

Defensive Rushing (yds/game)
Wisconsin: 109.8
Notre Dame: 133.7

Defensive Passing (yds/game)
Wisconsin: 141.4
Notre Dame: 195.5

Total Defense (yds/game)
Wisconsin: 251.2
Notre Dame: 329.2

Average Points For
Wisconsin: 29.8
Notre Dame: 32.4

Average Points Against
Wisconsin: 12.7
Notre Dame: 21.6

Based on these stats, it appears that Wisconsin has the edge. Now, let's look at each team's schedule:

Opposing Team Record
Wisconsin: 67-76 (.469 winning pct.)
Notre Dame: 72-61 (.541 winning pct.)

Opponents with Winning Record
Wisconsin: 3
Notre Dame: 6

Record against Opponents w/Winning Record
Wisconsin: 2-1
Notre Dame: 4-1 (USC yet to be played)

Record Against Top 25
Wisconsin: 0-1
Notre Dame: 1-1 (USC yet to be played)

Now, taking a look at overall strength of schedule (SOS), here's a preseason ranking of schedule strength:

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2006/preview/sos/index.htm

It shows:

42. Notre Dame .512
63. Wisconsin .350

Also, it says:

"Toughest and Easiest SOS by BCS conference

Big Ten
Easiest - Wisconsin: This is a ball club that could be sneaking around the Big 10 hen house come November much like the old Barry Alvarez coached teams used to. Their defense is strong enough to carry the Badgers through eight of the first nine games."

Also, according to this website http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/current_congrove_rankings.html (which is the best one I can find in terms of non-biased opinion on strength of schedule):

Notre Dame: 28
Wisconsin: 55

And here's one more:

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm

And yet another:

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm

That's about as exhaustive of a search as I can do. So, what do we have? ND scores more points, but Wisconsin has a better defense. But, ND appears to have played a tougher schedule. And, depending on which rankings you use, either ND or Wisconsin is ranked higher. The bottom line for me is that they are most likely fairly evenly matched teams, and it would probably make for a pretty good game. So for those of you out there claiming that Wisconsin played a tougher schedule or is CLEARLY better than ND, all I can say is take your Big Ten blinders off. ND is not one of the elite teams this year. Neither is Wisconsin. In my opinion, there are only two teams in the elite category this year. Michigan and Ohio State. And I think Ohio State has pretty convincingly shown that they are the best team in the country. They'll have to prove it again in the National Championship game, but I don't see them losing. After Michigan and Ohio State, I think there is a pretty significant drop off. USC, Florida, ND, and anyone else are not in the same ball park as Michigan and Ohio State this year, IMHO.

Anyway, that's my rant on the subject. I'm just tired of hearing people piss and moan about Wisconsin being SO much better than ND. GO IRISH!!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

November 19th, 2006, 2:53 am
RIP Killer

Great Game!!! Closer than it needed to be... stuoid Datish... but both teams played their hearts out. I'm just glad I don't have to get razed this year at work... whew...

November 19th, 2006, 9:54 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I am a bit disappointed in this game...we were clearly out coached...also that damn grass pissed me off lol

November 19th, 2006, 11:15 am
Varsity 1st Team

I would just like to put an offer on the table........
I'm willing to pay out of my own pocket! First class, one way tickets for all Buckeyes players and fans to take a trip to HELL! LMAO!
See you next year Bucks (the other worthless nut)!

November 19th, 2006, 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

No defense on either side.

Henne is a statue.

Mike Hart is a beast.

Ted Ginn Jr did live up to the hype, though I was hoping he'd fail miserably. Ginn Jr at #2, GO MILLEN! :roll:

So much for the 50/50 run/pass, Carr.

November 19th, 2006, 2:37 pm
QB Coach

Thank you for the exhaustive research, I have been asking the news commentators in this area, South Bend/Elkhart to come up with a reason for ND's ranking for some time.

However, do you honestly mean to tell me that you think ND deserves a chance for the NC?

Look at these 5 games:

North Carolina, Army, Navy, Air Force, Stanford - not a single one of these schools can by any stretch of the imagination, be classified as a football school. In fact, the one ESPN commentator said it correctly, "Frankly gentlemen let's face it, ND has had the last 7 weeks off." The South Bend Tribune is constantly trying to sell you that ND's next opponent is very good, and somebody to contend with. That is a lie, ND is a far superior team to these schools, and they do themselves a disfavor, by playing them.

The fact is they need a dedicated schedule against EQUAL teams, before they have my respect! Frankly, all their doing is padding their pockets and their stats.

OSU showed them what it was like last year, and Michigan did again this year. I'd like to see Wisconsin and ND in a bowl game, but definitely not the NC game.

Once again, thanks for the hard work!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

November 19th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Not exactly sure why we passed so much on 3rd and 4th and short.

November 19th, 2006, 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't know why anyone here is plaing blaime on the offenses(minus Datish from OSU). Each team scored PLENTY of points to win. Any blame needs to go to the defenses... which are obviously overrated compared to the offenses...

November 20th, 2006, 7:05 am
Veteran General Manager

I don't know why anyone here is plaing blaime on the offenses(minus Datish from OSU). Each team scored PLENTY of points to win. Any blame needs to go to the defenses... which are obviously overrated compared to the offenses...

I'm not blaming the offense. I'm blaming Carr. Rather than controling the clock with a solid running game with Mike Hart, Carr elected to go with a gameplan that is completely foreign to the Wolverines with pass after pass after pass. I'm not against a passing offense if it is what you want to base your offense on. But, Michigans offense is based on running. For this 1 game, Carr went away from the basis of our offense. As a result, OSU held the ball nearly twice as long as UofM, effectively doubling OSU's opportunities for points.

November 20th, 2006, 11:12 am
steensn wrote:

I'm not blaming the offense. I'm blaming Carr. Rather than controling the clock with a solid running game with Mike Hart, Carr elected to go with a gameplan that is completely foreign to the Wolverines with pass after pass after pass. I'm not against a passing offense if it is what you want to base your offense on. But, Michigans offense is based on running. For this 1 game, Carr went away from the basis of our offense. As a result, OSU held the ball nearly twice as long as UofM, effectively doubling OSU's opportunities for points.

The difference between last years conservative offense, and this years more "open" offense are HUGE... Why? Allegedly because last year it wasn't Carr calling the plays, and we now have a new OC. Again, allegedly the OC has total control over the offense, much the same way that for Michigan the DC has total control over the defense... I'm sure Carr gives input from time to time, but the majority of the decisions are left to the coordinators. If you want to blame anyone on the offensive side of the ball blame the OC.

IMO I can see why they would go with the a pass heavy offense while playing OSU. They lost three huge pieces of their secondary in recent years to the NFL draft, and their front 7 seems to be playing very well. However, we seemed to be able to move the ball on the ground against them... For that reason I think we should have abandonded the game plan and went with more runs. Still, I believe those are more the OC's decisions than they are the HC's, however.

November 20th, 2006, 12:26 pm
Veteran General Manager

BillySims wrote:
steensn wrote:

The difference between last years conservative offense, and this years more "open" offense are HUGE... Why? Allegedly because last year it wasn't Carr calling the plays, and we now have a new OC. Again, allegedly the OC has total control over the offense, much the same way that for Michigan the DC has total control over the defense... I'm sure Carr gives input from time to time, but the majority of the decisions are left to the coordinators. If you want to blame anyone on the offensive side of the ball blame the OC.

IMO I can see why they would go with the a pass heavy offense while playing OSU. They lost three huge pieces of their secondary in recent years to the NFL draft, and their front 7 seems to be playing very well. However, we seemed to be able to move the ball on the ground against them... For that reason I think we should have abandonded the game plan and went with more runs. Still, I believe those are more the OC's decisions than they are the HC's, however.

You may be right about the OC. I'm not sure.

What I am sure about is:

1-5 record vs. Jim Tressle.

John Cooper had an outstanding won/loss record at OSU.
But, he was fired because he just could not beat Michigan (Lloyd Carr).

Well, I think it's our turn to fire a coach with an outstanding win/loss record because he just can't beat OSU (Jim Tressle).

November 20th, 2006, 12:58 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
steensn wrote:

What I am sure about is:

Well, I think it's our turn to fire a coach with an outstanding win/loss record because he just can't beat OSU (Jim Tressle).

What does it come down to? You want to be the best in the Big Ten? then you have to be better than OSU. Vise-Versa for OSU...

Anything less is not good enough.

November 20th, 2006, 1:07 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
steensn wrote:

What I am sure about is:

While Lloyd Carr is 1-5 against JT... Our new OC is 0 and 1... If Lloyd was doing something patently wrong, i could understand... It was probably his decision to go for one near the end of the game... Didn't matter in the end, but if you want to call out "mistakes" like that (I quote "mistakes" because they only seem to be mistakes when they don't work), then I could see it... But we've been consistently good under Carr. We've had very few "hic-ups" under him, and consistency in NCAA football is a good thing for recruiting, ext....

I don't think it would do this team good to get rid of Carr, esp. at this point...

November 20th, 2006, 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next