View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 2:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Would you make this trade? 
Water Boy

Post Would you make this trade?
In many Mocks I have seen both Rolle and DJ available at 10. Would you trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to Dallas for both these players?

I think this would be a good trade. We are not really in a possition where we have major needs. We would have to sign a FA WR but this would give us 2 serious playmakers on the field. If Rolle will play safety we could have a major defensive jugernaught in the making.

April 11th, 2005, 10:03 am
Pop Warner Vet

Dallas would no way give up its #11 for our #41 and #72. Just take a look at a draft value chart and you will see that this idea is highly unrealistic.

April 11th, 2005, 10:14 am
RIP Killer

Welcome to the forum DownriverLion. The Lions would be fortunate if one of these players makes it to ten. Both making it to ten seems impossible unless nobody in the top 9 goes for defense. Don't see that happening.

For discussion sake, if they did fall to 10 I don't see the Lions making this move. I like both players but neither position is of dire need for the Lions and there is going to be good value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. They need to address other depth needs in those rounds.

April 11th, 2005, 10:16 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think Pablo makes an excellent point. Too many fans are looking for the Lions to acquire immediate impact type players when none are really needed, but rather desired. The Lions do have impact players on both offense and defense. The trouble is that these players get injured and without quality depth, the effect of that loss is all the more devastating. The Lions have good depth at linebacker, guard, running back, fullback, cornerback, free safety and defensive end. They lack depth at quarterback, tight end, offensive and defensive tackle, wide receiver and strong safety. Starter upgrades could be made at tight end, free safety and defensive end.

That being said, trading away picks in rounds where true value is acquired would be foolish just to gain a marquis name from the draft. Experts have said that although this draft lacks star power, from picks 20 through 100 there is better value players that will be available than in recent memory. I tend to agree with this. Hence my opinion that the Lions should trade down to attempt to gain picks in these rounds (2-4) to improve the depth and overall quality of the team, as opposed to trying to get more 'playmakers' at a premium.

April 11th, 2005, 10:51 am
Varsity Captain

:arrow: Welcome DownRiver. I have to agree with Mike and Pablo's assessments. There is a lot of value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft. I like the idea of grabbing DJ or Rolle at 10, otherwise I would trade down.

:arrow:

April 11th, 2005, 4:23 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]