View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 5:27 pm



Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 ESPN League - Offseason Thread. 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7555
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post ESPN League - Offseason Thread.
Just want to update everyone. It is not time to set your Keepers yet. But, I expect to be able to set them next week. Please set them as soon as possible so that you don't forget later.

In regaurds to Keepers, I'm having trouble deciding on my 3rd Keeper.

I'm definately keeping Eli Manning and Reggie Bush.

As for the 3rd keeper? I dove deep into the free agent market to find a couple of injured players on IR to add to Kevin Jones and Roy Williams (Det), who, I already had.

Does anyone know if Priest Holmes is going to be able to return to form next year? If so, how will it work out between him and Larry Johnson. Does 1 of them get traded?

So, what do I do? Keep KJ? PH? RW? Or do I keep Jay Cutler? If I keep Cutler, he would be my #2 QB. But, then I wouldn't have to worry about QB in the draft, so, I could go RB in the 1st round, WR in the 2nd round.



P.S. If any owner wants out of the league, PLEASE LET Rhys_Pieces OR MYSELF KNOW ASAP :!: Don't go Barry Sanders on us and tell us the night before training camp ( In FF's case - The Draft )

If anyone is interested in joining for next year, whether it be as a replacement owner or as an expansion owner, please let Rhys_Pieces or myself know ASAP. I am considering adding up to 4 more teams. There are 2 more seasons left on this keeper league.

If any current owner has any suggested rules changes, this is the thread to discuss them in.

So far:

We discussed changing the OP slot to WR/RB: But, in the last couple of weeks there seems to be some talk about keeping it as is. I am open to the idea of keeping the OP slot and adding a WR/RB slot. The benefit of the OP slot is that it can be used with any offensive player and helps provide a little flexibility for bye week players.

I have seen comments suggesting adding a 2nd RB slot: I am opposed to doing this, especially, if we expand to 20 teams. There simply won't be enough quality starting RB's available.


December 27th, 2006, 12:04 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Vet
User avatar

Joined: April 13th, 2005, 10:51 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Post 
As stated there are a lot of developments which will impact next seasons play and we are asking for everyones involvement. I am aware of one team who is need of a manager, get in touch with myself or Billy and we can assign you if interested.

Also as of today the votes are tied as to whether three or two players are kept please visit the site and vote or we will have to make unilateral decision which is not how we want it to be.

_________________
Espn Keeper league opening contact me for details


December 28th, 2006, 11:27 am
Profile
Varsity 1st Team
User avatar

Joined: August 8th, 2004, 8:57 pm
Posts: 252
Location: Indianapolis
Post 
I voted for three. Mostly because I would like to keep Manning, Parker and Coles or Coleston.

I will need to know how the OP position will be handled before I determine my keepers.

Please note if we are looking to expand to 20 teams the flex position should be limited to WR/RB. If you see the large advantage that a QB has in points per game, I know I will be keeping Hass in lieu of a WR and be drafting another back-up come next year. That will only leave 29 starting qb's to be divided between 19 more teams. I assume others in the league will keep one or two QB's leaving the four new teams potentially without a starting QB. If we just use WR/RB as the flex there will be enough equally good players to place in that spot.

Starting QB's will be gold next year if we can use two in a field of 20 teams. The ones that don't get two (or even one) will be at a disadvantage all season and possibility for many years.

_________________
K-Mart


December 28th, 2006, 2:46 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7555
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
Rhys_Pieces wrote:
As stated there are a lot of developments which will impact next seasons play and we are asking for everyones involvement. I am aware of one team who is need of a manager, get in touch with myself or Billy and we can assign you if interested.

Also as of today the votes are tied as to whether three or two players are kept please visit the site and vote or we will have to make unilateral decision which is not how we want it to be.


Rhys_Pieces,

inheritedlionsfan PMed me to let me know that he would like to join. He is on my list for replacement/expansion owners. But, I am unaware of any current team needing an owner. Which one?


December 28th, 2006, 10:43 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7555
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
K-Mart wrote:
I voted for three. Mostly because I would like to keep Manning, Parker and Coles or Coleston.

I will need to know how the OP position will be handled before I determine my keepers.

Please note if we are looking to expand to 20 teams the flex position should be limited to WR/RB. If you see the large advantage that a QB has in points per game, I know I will be keeping Hass in lieu of a WR and be drafting another back-up come next year. That will only leave 29 starting qb's to be divided between 19 more teams. I assume others in the league will keep one or two QB's leaving the four new teams potentially without a starting QB. If we just use WR/RB as the flex there will be enough equally good players to place in that spot.

Starting QB's will be gold next year if we can use two in a field of 20 teams. The ones that don't get two (or even one) will be at a disadvantage all season and possibility for many years.


I see your point. And agreeing. It was a complete accident that 2 QBs could be played this year. Heck, I screwed the pooch a few times this year as commissioner. LOL. From the OP possition to the draft debacle. I promise that the draft date and time will be set in granite this year.

As far as QBs: should we all just set a rule that only 1 QB can be a keeper? That way, if we do expand, there will be a QB available to each team.


December 28th, 2006, 10:51 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
If you do expand the league to 20 teams, I can't see how you can keep the OP as it is. It would give an unfair advantage to the teams with 2 QBs. With a 16 team league, most owners have the option of starting 2 of them in non-bye weeks. The same can also be said of a 2nd RB position, but not to the same extent. There are plenty of teams that run a RBBC, so everyone should be able to come up with two of them that will play every week.

As for how many players we should keep, it doesn't matter that much to me. I'm definitely keeping LT and Brady. After that, I'm not really sure.

_________________
Image


December 29th, 2006, 10:03 am
Profile
Red Shirt Freshman

Joined: March 10th, 2005, 10:02 am
Posts: 507
Location: Michigan
Post 
I voted for 2 players. That way the draft will be better and it will make the teams more even.

With 16 teams keeping 3 players you're looking at 48 of the best players not being eligible for the draft. If you expand to 20 teams, then the new 4 teams will be at a disadvantage. Unless the draft starts fresh with no keepers. If you do that then that defeats the purpose of having a keeper league.

What will be the order of drafting next year?

_________________
"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington


December 29th, 2006, 4:40 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7555
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
PT Bruiser wrote:
I voted for 2 players. That way the draft will be better and it will make the teams more even.

With 16 teams keeping 3 players you're looking at 48 of the best players not being eligible for the draft. If you expand to 20 teams, then the new 4 teams will be at a disadvantage. Unless the draft starts fresh with no keepers. If you do that then that defeats the purpose of having a keeper league.

What will be the order of drafting next year?


The draft should be inverse order of finish. Worst teams first.

As for expansion teams being at a disadvantage: I figure that I will place them at the top of the draft board in each round. And I can hold a special expansion draft to fill their keeper slots once all current teams have submitted their keepers. The draft order of the expansion draft will be in the order that the owner joins the league in the first round and inverse order in the 2nd round.

Basicaly, this 3 year league is a learning experience for me. By the time the 3 years are up and we start over, all the details will already have been discussed and implemented. So, the next 3 year cycle will be smooth as a new born babies butt.


December 29th, 2006, 9:42 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Vet
User avatar

Joined: April 13th, 2005, 10:51 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Post 
Let me be the first to congratulate Silver Rush on becoming the first Graphic Violence League Champion and hope he knows winning isn't hard repeating is.

For all that participated thank you and as for you Sli 1 point whats up with that?

Again please vote for the number of Keepers if you haven't yet done so. Two is looking like the safer number especially with expansion teams coming in, but vote so we see what the league wants.

Again thanks to all who participated in making this a hell of a year for our league and looking forward to next year and the rivalries that have started to develop, Hey SLI

_________________
Espn Keeper league opening contact me for details


January 1st, 2007, 10:32 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7555
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
Rhys_Pieces wrote:
Let me be the first to congratulate Silver Rush on becoming the first Graphic Violence League Champion and hope he knows winning isn't hard repeating is.

For all that participated thank you and as for you Sli 1 point whats up with that?

Again please vote for the number of Keepers if you haven't yet done so. Two is looking like the safer number especially with expansion teams coming in, but vote so we see what the league wants.

Again thanks to all who participated in making this a hell of a year for our league and looking forward to next year and the rivalries that have started to develop, Hey SLI


I second that.

As soon as we can lock in the keepers, I will send an email to everyone and also post it in this thread.

Happy New year everyone.


January 1st, 2007, 11:25 am
Profile
Stadium Announcer

Joined: February 10th, 2006, 10:56 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Yukon, Oklahoma
Post 
Just wanted to let everyone know that I really enjoyed playing this season and look forward to playing next season. Obviously winning the Championship really made it fun! I do however have a few issues. If we do get replacement managers and/or expand then I think that everyone should know not to quit just because their losing. There were a few who obviously quit playing and I didn't care for that personally but I realize I have no control over it either. In other words, "Have some Fantasy Pride!"

The other issue I have is are we or are we not expanding? If we are then we should only keep 2 players to fairly stock the new owners' rosters. If we aren't then I vote to keep 3 players.

I wasn't too keen on the OP slot, not one bit. I like several other managers used a QB. It did admittably help me to win games. However, I am of the belief that are starting rosters should refect that of real starting rosters. No NFL team obviously plays 2 QB's at the same time! I am all in favor of it being renamed to a RB/WR slot. All teams have a 3rd WR or a 3rd down RB and the RB/WR slot would truely refect that IMHO.

The other issue was a scoring matter which once I looked at didn't make sense to me. It was the defensive/special teams scoring. I had the Chicago Bears as my defense. In a few games this year they dominated even though they had meager to average points scored in a certain week. Why? I asked. I took a good look at it and this is what I found. In one game this year they forced 5 turnovers, 3 or 4 sacks and held the opposition to very few points. Yet I scored something like 75 pts. I found out that because the Bears scored so much offensively during the game that they had to kickoff all the time and I was losing too many fantasy points because of all the return yardage against me. Their has got to be a way to remedy this! A dominate defensive performance should not be negated because they have to kickoff all the time.

P.S. I am aware Rhyses Pieces that repeating is hard to do, but if you recall Green Bay won the 1st Super Bowl and repeated the following year.
If the Cheeseheads did it why can't I? LOL

Sincerly, your humble ESPN Fantasy League Champ - Silver Rush

_________________
'Should I hate him?...I don't know, there's just somethin' about him...Somethin' around the eyes...Reminds me of...me! Yep, I'm sure of it! I hate him!'
Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday


January 1st, 2007, 3:03 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7555
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post 
Oklahoma Lion wrote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that I really enjoyed playing this season and look forward to playing next season. Obviously winning the Championship really made it fun! I do however have a few issues. If we do get replacement managers and/or expand then I think that everyone should know not to quit just because their losing. There were a few who obviously quit playing and I didn't care for that personally but I realize I have no control over it either. In other words, "Have some Fantasy Pride!"

The other issue I have is are we or are we not expanding? If we are then we should only keep 2 players to fairly stock the new owners' rosters. If we aren't then I vote to keep 3 players.

I wasn't too keen on the OP slot, not one bit. I like several other managers used a QB. It did admittably help me to win games. However, I am of the belief that are starting rosters should refect that of real starting rosters. No NFL team obviously plays 2 QB's at the same time! I am all in favor of it being renamed to a RB/WR slot. All teams have a 3rd WR or a 3rd down RB and the RB/WR slot would truely refect that IMHO.

The other issue was a scoring matter which once I looked at didn't make sense to me. It was the defensive/special teams scoring. I had the Chicago Bears as my defense. In a few games this year they dominated even though they had meager to average points scored in a certain week. Why? I asked. I took a good look at it and this is what I found. In one game this year they forced 5 turnovers, 3 or 4 sacks and held the opposition to very few points. Yet I scored something like 75 pts. I found out that because the Bears scored so much offensively during the game that they had to kickoff all the time and I was losing too many fantasy points because of all the return yardage against me. Their has got to be a way to remedy this! A dominate defensive performance should not be negated because they have to kickoff all the time.

P.S. I am aware Rhyses Pieces that repeating is hard to do, but if you recall Green Bay won the 1st Super Bowl and repeated the following year.
If the Cheeseheads did it why can't I? LOL

Sincerly, your humble ESPN Fantasy League Champ - Silver Rush



RE: Defensive/ST Scoring:

I looked into what you talking about. You weren't penalised because the Bears kicked off so much. No points are reduced from such. The reason your defens?ST weren't scoring as much is because your ST wasn't getting as much return yardage as other teams. Basically, the Best Defense/ST has a good balance between a great defense and a Great Return man.

But, I did change the scoring so that a return man gets 1 point for every 25 return yards vs 1 point for every 10 yards.

As far as expansion: It doesn't look like we will be expanding at this point. Only 1 person has contacted me about joining. And he will be Replacing a current owner.


January 1st, 2007, 4:18 pm
Profile
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10943
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
Congrats, Oklahoma Lion on winning the championship! I'm gonna look forward to kicking your posterior next season!

Just a tidbit for those that didn't know. The ESPN League doesn't unlock player movement until about 3 AM Tuesday morning. Oklahoma Lion was usually the first one on at that time unless I beat him to it. :D

_________________
Image


January 1st, 2007, 5:00 pm
Profile
Stadium Announcer

Joined: February 10th, 2006, 10:56 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Yukon, Oklahoma
Post 
Very true Sly! I was usually on the fantasy sight right after I got home from work and settled down a bit. At first I didn't know if it worked on a queue or a first-come-first-serve basis. I discovered that after about 2 a.m. tuesday morning that it was the latter. I seem to remember though last year on another website you were looking forward to kicking my butt after I handed you yours in the championship game. Different website, same result...lol. I look forward to next season's continuing trend. :wink:

_________________
'Should I hate him?...I don't know, there's just somethin' about him...Somethin' around the eyes...Reminds me of...me! Yep, I'm sure of it! I hate him!'
Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday


January 1st, 2007, 6:37 pm
Profile
Varsity 1st Team
User avatar

Joined: August 8th, 2004, 8:57 pm
Posts: 252
Location: Indianapolis
Post 
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

CONGRATS OKLAHOMA LION / SILVER RUSH!!

It was a great trade for you! I just had a let down at the end of the year. I look forward to next year!

Congrats to Pablo as well, 3 points!! I knew I should have played Henderson or Branch, but I was away from my computer Fri, Sat & Sun.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

_________________
K-Mart


January 2nd, 2007, 9:20 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.