View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 11:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Derrick Johnson Highlight Video 
QB Coach

Post Derrick Johnson Highlight Video
Go DJ... for your OUR DJ...

http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/videoclips/2004_05/111104_johnson.html

Actually, I don't like what I see that much... i'll broaden on my observations if someone needs me to... but the video kind of speaks for itself.

April 11th, 2005, 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Post Re: Derrick Johnson Highlight Video
Brian wrote:
Go DJ... for your OUR DJ...

http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/videoclips/2004_05/111104_johnson.html

Actually, I don't like what I see that much... i'll broaden on my observations if someone needs me to... but the video kind of speaks for itself.

Do broaden your observations. Arm tackling, diving?

April 12th, 2005, 7:38 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post DJ Video
Brian,

What's not to like?

He has great instincts and was the first defender to the ball on every play in the video. He knew where the RB or QB were going with the ball before they went there.
He is very quick and made numerous plays in the backfield. When he didn't completely stuff the run he knocked the ball loose. He's got a very quick first step and terrific top end speed. He is a fraction light (230) and that will cause him to get bowled over by some RB's in the NFL but he's still a kid and will add a few lbs.

He is the best LB in the draft.

April 12th, 2005, 7:59 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

He goes for the big play too often. Sometimes he gives up sure tackles, TFL, and sacks in order to try and cause a fumble. Now, if he can make the sack/TFL and still the get the fumble, hell yeah. But don't try and be a big play highlight reel kind of guy and give up much needed tackles. That's just what I've noticed the past couple years I've watched him. That and arm tackling, diving at the QB, etc. Granted, I think the guy is a pimp and the best LB in the draft, but he DOES have his flaws and he can use some coaching - as can everyone in the draft.

April 12th, 2005, 8:02 am
QB Coach

What I don't like is his overall tackling technique. It's poor. None of the hits he made were even close to bone crushing. Playing against the NFL level back, he will find difficulty tackling players who know how to break tackles. He also overpursues, from what I saw. He has all the talent in the world, can run from sideline to sideline effortlessly, and makes some plays that make you go "wow", like his interception. But his tackling isn't solid. Being light as he is, if he doesn't have solid wrap up tackling technique, he will struggle, which he doesn't. He isn't the blue chip prospect that many believe that he is, there are flaws in his game. When he is run at, he can't shed blocks well. Some plays I have seen him play well, others he has been neutralized. Against Michigan, he was shut down because they just ran at him.

Nearly every tackle in that video wasn't fundamental. It was him diving at players, and hitting them, and them falling down easily. He doesn't deliver a punishing blow at the point of attack. He doesn't place his hands well. He needs to be coached to tackle properly.

April 12th, 2005, 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

What I don't like is his overall tackling technique. It's poor. None of the hits he made were even close to bone crushing. Playing against the NFL level back, he will find difficulty tackling players who know how to break tackles. He also overpursues, from what I saw. He has all the talent in the world, can run from sideline to sideline effortlessly, and makes some plays that make you go "wow", like his interception. But his tackling isn't solid. Being light as he is, if he doesn't have solid wrap up tackling technique, he will struggle, which he doesn't. He isn't the blue chip prospect that many believe that he is, there are flaws in his game. When he is run at, he can't shed blocks well. Some plays I have seen him play well, others he has been neutralized. Against Michigan, he was shut down because they just ran at him.

Nearly every tackle in that video wasn't fundamental. It was him diving at players, and hitting them, and them falling down easily. He doesn't deliver a punishing blow at the point of attack. He doesn't place his hands well. He needs to be coached to tackle properly.
]

That's what I was saying in that other thread. Finally, someone agrees with me. I thought I was the odd man out for not thinking this guy is a Saviour. I mean, I think he's good, and would be a great pick up. But his technique needs some definate work. Going to school at a Big 12 school, I've seen him play many times. That diving technique won't cut it in the pros and is the biggest knock I have against him. Oh, more tackles than i'd like to believe are made from him being on the ground. Not really something I like is my OLB on the ground tripping up a RB, Barry could have leap frogged that.

April 12th, 2005, 3:02 pm
Hall of Fame Player

How hard is that to learn for a young LB.

April 12th, 2005, 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I'm not trying to sound dumb - that's a real question. Even though I forgot the "?".

April 12th, 2005, 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

April 12th, 2005, 3:12 pm
Hall of Fame Player

April 12th, 2005, 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

How hard is that to learn for a young LB.

It's not hard to learn, but it's difficult to get off your old habits and change your game. Asking him to learn how to tackle will change his mindset towards the game. The minute he realizes that he can't bully people around on the field, his mindset will change.

Follow up question: If you are taking a blue chip LB in the top 10, shouldn't they already know how to tackle? Why should we have to teach them that?

April 12th, 2005, 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]