View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Chris Webber a Free Agent, Wants to come home to Detroit 
3rd Round Selection

Post Chris Webber a Free Agent, Wants to come home to Detroit
Quote:
Webber's wish list: Heat, Pistons, Mavs, Spurs, LakersBy Marc Stein
ESPN.com

With his buyout from the Philadelphia 76ers on the verge of completion, Chris Webber has established a Fab Five wish list of high-profile teams he'd like to play for.

Webber told ESPN.com on Wednesday night that 17 of the league's 30 teams have already called to register interest in his services, but the free agent-to-be hopes to sign with one of the following contenders: Miami and his hometown Detroit Pistons in the East; San Antonio, Dallas and the Los Angeles Lakers in the West.

"This is the best I've felt in three years," Webber said in a phone interview. "Now the thing I want to do most is win a championship, put myself back on that kind of level."

Webber didn't divulge any order or preferences when listing those teams but did acknowledge that the Mavericks, believed to be offering less playing time than anyone in the group, was the least likely destination.

Early indications in San Antonio, meanwhile, suggest that the Spurs -- whose desire to get younger and more athletic and the swing positions is well-chronicled -- are unlikely to pursue Webber.

Each of the other three teams on Webber's list, by contrast, does have a need and an interest.

Miami has major depth issues even when Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade are healthy and pursued Webber's former Michigan teammate Jalen Rose when Rose was bought out by New York in November. The Heat, possessing their full mid-level salary-cap exception worth in excess of $5 million, also have the ability to outbid any of the aforementioned suitors, although Miami will stray into luxury-tax territory if it spends, say, $2 million to bring Webber in for the rest of the season.

The Pistons, sources said, immediately thrust themselves into the running, intrigued by the idea of adding the local legend as they continue to revamp their front line in the wake of Ben Wallace's free-agent defection to Chicago.

Webber's experience, size and game are also bound to appeal to the young Lakers, who recently lost two frontcourt starters to injury (Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown) and run an offense (coach Phil Jackson's triangle) that could make the most of Webber's passing skills.

"My father said I haven't smiled on the court in about three years," Webber said. "I just want to get back to playing with a smile on my face and playing with a team that can really vie for title. I want to be an integral part of a championship team."

The 33-year-old added that he hopes to have his new address "by Monday, even though three or four teams want me by Friday."

A new deal can't happen that quickly because Webber must wait two business days to clear waivers once his buyout from the Sixers is made official. Webber said he expects paperwork on the buyout to be completed by Thursday morning at the latest.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Btw for those who haven't read yet the buyout IS complete and Webber IS a FA.

January 11th, 2007, 2:32 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

NEVER GIVE UP!

January 11th, 2007, 9:09 am
Site Admin

He can ONLY help a team that has lost to the Bobcats twice this season :?

In fact...it would seem that if he could serve as key part to helping the Pistons get back to the finals Mr.Webber may redeem his image in his hometown. I think Joe better be all over this move...

Quote:
The Pistons, sources said, immediately thrust themselves into the running, intrigued by the idea of adding the local legend as they continue to revamp their front line in the wake of Ben Wallace's free-agent defection to Chicago.

Just found this tidbit too...
Quote:
But three sources told The Post the Pistons are distinct front-runners.

January 11th, 2007, 11:42 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

sign webber but we need a point guard. i would take mateen cleaves off the street high on weed over blalock. the kid is atrocious

January 11th, 2007, 1:13 pm
I wouldn't mind signing Webber, but not at the high price tag he may be looking for...

Hopefully, since he's nearing the end of his career he'll want to go to a team that has a shot, and he'll take less money to do so.

But IMO he could definitely give us some new found size and presence down low.

January 11th, 2007, 3:45 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Rasheed Wallace is absolutely nothing. but he's still better than McDyss. get rid of McDyss or at least cut his minutes. Start Weber, bring Sheed off the bench with Maxiel also.

Weber will be hungrier than Sheed and McDyss. Can pass as good as Sheed, but wants the ball a lot more than Sheed.

I think we should still get him. We need more energy!!

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

January 11th, 2007, 4:16 pm
Site Admin

Webber can play some center...I think our rebounding and lost post scoring improves dramatically...imagine those two on the floor together...that would be pretty cool IMO.

January 11th, 2007, 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

I'm not sure how signing Webber will help the pistons they aready have Maxiell, McDyess, Mohammad, Davis and Wallace. I'm not sure at this point in his career he's any better than any of those.

Unless the plan is sign Webber and trade one of them for the backcourt help they really need.

January 12th, 2007, 11:54 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I'm not sure how signing Webber will help the pistons they aready have Maxiell, McDyess, Mohammad, Davis and Wallace. I'm not sure at this point in his career he's any better than any of those.

Unless the plan is sign Webber and trade one of them for the backcourt help they really need.

This is true and the 1st thing I thought of when I heard we were interested in signing Webber : we really DON'T need him, but I think he is an upgrade over Mohammed, who has been a dissapointment so far.

As for the 2nd part....there is a rumored trade being discussed if we happen to land Webber...the rumor is us trading Dale Davis w/ his expiring contract and another player (Mohammed was the name mentioned) to the Houston Rockets for Bonzi Wells. If this is true, I would be all over this if I was Joe. It's rumored that Bonzi is unhappy in Houston...

Another trade being discussed is Mo Pete from the Raptors, who has asked to be traded and Toronto seems willing. Thing is, the Raptors are asking for way too much in return....

Tim

January 12th, 2007, 1:15 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:

This is true and the 1st thing I thought of when I heard we were interested in signing Webber : we really DON'T need him, but I think he is an upgrade over Mohammed, who has been a dissapointment so far.

As for the 2nd part....there is a rumored trade being discussed if we happen to land Webber...the rumor is us trading Dale Davis w/ his expiring contract and another player (Mohammed was the name mentioned) to the Houston Rockets for Bonzi Wells. If this is true, I would be all over this if I was Joe. It's rumored that Bonzi is unhappy in Houston...

Another trade being discussed is Mo Pete from the Raptors, who has asked to be traded and Toronto seems willing. Thing is, the Raptors are asking for way too much in return....

I would give Davis, Mohammed, and a 1st round pick for Mo Pete. Even though he went to THE OTHER SCHOOL in the center of the state.

January 12th, 2007, 3:58 pm
TADOne wrote:
Quote:

I would give Davis, Mohammed, and a 1st round pick for Mo Pete. Even though he went to THE OTHER SCHOOL in the center of the state.

If we're going to cut someone I would prefer it be Davis over McDyess... I like Dyess... He's a good role player, doesn't mind where you put him or what you do with him, he's a good team guy... Davis, IMO, is worthless...

I like Bonzi Wells a lot... I'm not too crazy about Peterson... If we got either player it would seem that Prince or Hamilton would have to sit more, I'm not crazy about that... For that reason I would prefer Wells... He seems more willing to come off of the bench. I realize that's part of his beef in Houston, but I think a good part of it is that they're just a backwards franchise... They win more games when their 7'6", 1st overall pick C is out... that's just nutz...

January 12th, 2007, 6:22 pm
RIP Killer

January 12th, 2007, 6:54 pm
Hall of Fame Player

NBA Rumors
Add to My Yahoo! RSS
Webber looks to be headed home

Friday, Jan 12, 2007 9:58 am EST

Yahoo! Sports Exclusive
webber_rumors011107

AP

Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski reports that Chris Webber is close to signing with the Detroit Pistons, who could give him a chance to play in the NBA Finals for the first time.

Webber, who starred for Detroit Country Day High School and the University of Michigan before turning pro, can't officially sign until Monday.

Source: Yahoo! Sports

Related: Chris Webber, Detroit Pistons

Quote:
If we got either player it would seem that Prince or Hamilton would have to sit more, I'm not crazy about that.

That would be a good thing. Prince and Hamilton don't get enough rest in the regular season. So, come playoff time, they are about out of gas.

January 12th, 2007, 8:51 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Webber headed back home
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
January 11, 2007

Adrian Wojnarowski
Yahoo! Sports

The Detroit Pistons are close to reaching an agreement with free agent Chris Webber, sources close to the negotiations said Thursday night.

Webber, 33, who had the final two seasons of his contract bought out by the Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday, will return to his Michigan roots where he once starred for Detroit Country Day High School and the University of Michigan.

Webber, who's still clearing waivers, can't officially sign with a team until Monday. He is expected to receive a pro-rated $1.87 million-a-season, 10-year-veteran contract.

All along, sources said, the Pistons were Webber's No. 1 choice upon leaving the 76ers. They would give him a chance to finally reach the NBA Finals and perhaps compete for his first NBA title.

January 12th, 2007, 8:53 pm
RIP Killer

Flip Murray is pathetic too. Without CB, this team is in BAD shape.

January 13th, 2007, 12:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next