View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 1:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tigers avoid arbitration. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Tigers avoid arbitration.
Quote:
Tigers avoid arbitration with all 4 eligible players
January 16, 2007

DETROIT (AP) -- The Detroit Tigers avoided salary arbitration with all four of the players that filed, agreeing to one-year contracts Tuesday with outfielder Craig Monroe, left-hander Nate Robertson, right-handed reliever Fernando Rodney and infielder Omar Infante.

Monroe will make $4,775,000 this season after tying a franchise record with five homers in one postseason, helping the Tigers reach the World Series for the first time since 1984. During the regular season, he had a .255 batting average with 28 homers, 35 doubles and 92 RBIs, making $2.8 million. The 29-year-old left fielder had 12 assists, tied for second among American League outfielders.

yes no
yes no
yes no
Robertson gets $3.26 million, up from $402,5000 last year, when he was 13-13 in 32 starts. The 29-year-old starter set career highs in wins and with a 3.84 ERA and 208 2-3 innings. He is 33-42 with a 4.56 ERA since making his major league debut in 2002 with Florida.

Rodney will make $1.05 million this season, nearly three times the $385,000 he made last year. The 29-year-old was 7-4 with seven saves in 63 appearances last season with the AL champions. He posted a 3.52 ERA and struck out 65 in 71 2-3 innings and ranked sixth among AL relievers with a .196 batting average against.

Infante gets $1.3 million, up from $385,000 last year, when he hit .277 in 78 games with four home runs, 11 doubles and 25 RBIs. The 25-year-old played 37 games at second base, 10 at shortstop, seven at third base, four in center field and also was a designated hitter.

Craig Monroe has more than proven his worth the last 2 years. Why are the Tigers dicking arround and not signing him long term, instead of giving him a 1 year deal? This guy is our modern day Chet Lemmon.

Same with Nate Robinson. He is our modern day Milt Wilcox. Nothing flashy. He just goes out every day and pitches his heart out.

I understand the 1 year deal with fernando Rodney though. He is on the verge of fullfilling his potential, but, has not yet done so.

Omar Infante is a spare part. So, I understand the 1 year deal with him also.

January 17th, 2007, 12:55 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Good moves all around, IMO. I'd like to see Monroe get his average a little higher, but I agree that we should sign him for a longer deal.

Infante, great utility guy, I don't know if we can hold on to him for very long though, someone is going to want to see what his bat can do if he gets 500 AB's.

Robertson, I would like to see in a long term deal, seems to be a good clubhouse guy and a real bulldog.

Rodney could be special, but I'm not sure about him yet. If he and Zumaya reach their full potential, we are playing 7 inning games for the next 5 year, IMO.

January 17th, 2007, 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Could we be "dicking" around with not signing Monroe to a longer-term deal because we're looking at Carlos Lee and Soriano? :arrow: :idea:

I love C-Mo... I heard he acts like a dick outside of baseball (and he's a big whore), but I can't say I blame him...

I like the way he plays ball, but he's streaky as hell... At times he seems like a head case that can't "find himself" but when he's on, I agree, he's damn good...

Still, until he levels himself out a bit, and until we lose hope on signing Lee or Soriano, I can understand why C-Mo doesn't get his long-term deal.

January 17th, 2007, 3:18 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Could we be "dicking" around with not signing Monroe to a longer-term deal because we're looking at Carlos Lee and Soriano? :arrow: :idea:

I love C-Mo... I heard he acts like a dick outside of baseball (and he's a big whore), but I can't say I blame him...

I like the way he plays ball, but he's streaky as hell... At times he seems like a head case that can't "find himself" but when he's on, I agree, he's damn good...

Still, until he levels himself out a bit, and until we lose hope on signing Lee or Soriano, I can understand why C-Mo doesn't get his long-term deal.

Both of those players signed huge long-term contracts in the off-season.

Andruw Jones, however.... :arrow:

January 17th, 2007, 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Both of those players signed huge long-term contracts in the off-season.

Andruw Jones, however.... :arrow:

Thanks B-sand... I was poking around on here looking for something, but admittedly, I didn't try very hard. Just a quick google... I was looking for the offseason FA thread.. LOL... it's probably stickied and I looked right past it...

Andrew Jones would be nice though... Point being that we might still be looking for a FA to add depth or replace Monroe... I really don't think we should unless it is a top caliber player, but we'll see... Some consistency at the postion would be nice... and some added depth to rest Mags more would be nice too... Hopefully Cleveland plays more this year... He looked good when he was up...

January 17th, 2007, 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]