View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Hanicapping the Top 10 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Hanicapping the Top 10
It looks like now most draft sites have settled on the top 10 players in this draft: Rodgers, Smith, Benson, CWilliams, Brown, Edwards, MWilliams, Rolle, Johnson and Jones.

Let's assume that they are the best 10 players in the draft and Lions are going for value. This how I see them fitting in with the Lions.

1. Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas (6-3, 243) - many sites now have Johnson listed as the Lions pick. It sounds like good pick if Lehman can play the middle which it sounds like they are going to try again anyway. It's also good insurance against Bailey's knees.

2. Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami (6-1, 198) - Detroit might already have too much money tied up in Bly and Bryant but neither player has Rolle's size. Bryant was disappointment and Detroit might be looking to dump his contract if it's possible if not Rolle might be able to play FS until then.

3. Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan (6-3, 211) or Mike Williams, WR, Southern Cal (6-foot-5, 229 pounds) - If you were going to ask which two players I doubt will be there at #10, I would give you Edwards and Williams. Despite drafting WR with the last two #1 picks the Lions have very little show for it and have need for #3 that needs to be filled in the draft.

4. Adam Jones, CB, West Virginia (5-10, 187) - He's too small to play FS which means he would only be a nickel back this year. He can also return kicks and would be good insurance against Drummond's next season ending injury.

5. Alex Smith, QB, Utah (6-4, 217) or Aaron Rodgers, QB, Cal (6-2, 223) - It's very possible that one of them most likely Smith will be around at #10 which makes sense why Detroit brought him in, not necessarily to draft him to better gauge his value if they look to trade down.

6. The running backs - doesn?t matter who the Lions really don?t have have a need with Kevin Jones. Which means they would have to trade down or reach for a DE or Barron.

April 12th, 2005, 2:30 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I pretty much agree about everything except Rolle. Also, our "value" top 10 may be different from the consensus top 10. In fact, that is why I think they want to trade down.

April 12th, 2005, 2:32 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

This goes to show that the Lions might be in good shape. I'm figuring that some GM's get a whim of the "top 10" and they might really want one, so they can feel good about themselves. If there are any like that, they're the ones that Millen might be able to make a deal with. That all depends on who they might want and who's available.

Does anybody know the GM's well enough (maybe from past history) who would be willing to do something like that?

Can't count Cleveland's GM, he picks before us. lol :oops:

April 12th, 2005, 2:43 pm
Cheerleader

I can't believe you left out Merriman? He may just turn out to be the best D player in this draft. The guy is a machine and I think any team would be very happy to have him on their side of the ball.

April 12th, 2005, 5:55 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Safetyblitz, I am in total agreement with you about Merriman.

April 12th, 2005, 6:46 pm

Merriman has the measurables but I think he is high risk. The chance of a bust would be high with him, starting with which position he would play. There is all this talk about how he could play these different positions, but he was not exactly a sackmeister in college so why will he produce so many more sacks and plays in the NFL?

April 12th, 2005, 7:12 pm
Stadium Announcer

I would love for DJ to fall to #10. However, it presents many opportunities that Millen must consider.

Can Lehman play MLB? I don't know if he can put on and sustain the weight? If so how will it affect his body? How will it affect his mobility to pursue the ball carrier with the extra weight? Can he still play in pass coverage as he does now?

It allows for a back up if Baily's knees fail. But can Millen package someone, Lehman, Davis, Curry and a pick to obtain a better pick because he may have too many OLB's

April 12th, 2005, 8:41 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I didn't leave out Merriman guys like Kiper, Robinson and Banks have left out Merriman. I actually have Merriman as my Lion's pick on the mock contest and Smith falling out of the top 10. QB projects just don't make good top 10 picks in my mind.

I just wanted to see if people agreed with this top 10 and how that it could effect the LIons. We all know that will not be the case somebody always takes somebody nobody is expecting and screws the whole draft up. I have Cleveland doing that this year at #3.

Anyway Yorick, what don't you agree with Rolle? His ability to play FS or that have him listed #2?

April 12th, 2005, 8:47 pm

I do not think he can be a cover corner in the NFL, not enough accleration or ball smarts. Yeah, maybe he could be an above average safety, but why draft a project at safety with the #10 pick? There are tons of 2-3 round guys that might surpass him as a CB and he is not enough of a ballhawk to be a great FS. I would prefer Holt to Rolle at FS anyway. DJ or trade down is what I am hoping for. I am pretty sure that is what Millen want to do.

April 12th, 2005, 8:53 pm
NFL Veteran

I agree with Yorick that Antrel might struggle coming into a situation where he has to be more 'hands off.' He thrived on shutting down big time college receivers by being physical with them. However, unlike Yorick I think he might be able to make a seamless transition to safety... which made Antrel my no. 2 guy behind DJ for some time until I decided on M. Williams with the pick.

Other than that I think I'm agreement with you for the most part for the consensus top 10 and how the Lions value them. You might want to put in the 'reaching' options outside of the top 10 if all targets are gone because I think the Lions would reach before taking a RB and maybe a certain QB. And those positions would be DE and OT: With guys like Pollack, Merriman, James and Barron.

April 12th, 2005, 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Cheerleader

I didn't leave out Merriman guys like Kiper, Robinson and Banks have left out Merriman. I actually have Merriman as my Lion's pick on the mock contest and Smith falling out of the top 10. QB projects just don't make good top 10 picks in my mind.

I just wanted to see if people agreed with this top 10 and how that it could effect the LIons. We all know that will not be the case somebody always takes somebody nobody is expecting and screws the whole draft up. I have Cleveland doing that this year at #3.

Anyway Yorick, what don't you agree with Rolle? His ability to play FS or that have him listed #2?

I also feel that the Lions pick will also be Merriman. Sorry, if I thought you left him out. Kiper should start getting his act together. Isn't he suppose to be a Draft guru?? Big Laugh!!

April 13th, 2005, 2:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]