View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 8:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tampa Bay/Quarterback 
QB Coach

Post Tampa Bay/Quarterback
Will there be a trade?

Maybe not at #1, but at #2? Miami wants to move down, and acquire their second round pick that they traded for Feeley back.

BTW, on ESPN today, someone reported this same story, that Tampa wanted to move up and grab a quarterback.

So much for the "Mike Williams or "Carnell Williams" rumors going around...

Tampa Bay also has the second most selections in this draft.

Quote:
Bucs eye top QBs in draft
With Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith likely gone before it picks, Tampa Bay considers trading up.
By RICK STROUD, Times Staff Writer
Published April 12, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - After their weekend workouts of Cal's Aaron Rodgers and Utah's Alex Smith, the Bucs might entertain trading up from the No.5 pick for one of the quarterbacks in the NFL draft.

The 49ers, Dolphins and Browns, who own the first three picks, need a quarterback but might find an eager partner in the Bucs if the other teams elect to trade down.

Rodgers (6 feet 2), who worked out for the Bucs in Berkeley on Saturday, has the edge in arm strength, readiness for an NFL offense and leadership.

Smith (6-4) has more size, is considered a better athlete and brilliant, having sat in on coaches meetings at Utah to help produce game plans. He worked out for Bucs coach Jon Gruden, quarterbacks coach Paul Hackett and general manager Bruce Allen in Salt Lake City on Friday.

While no trade talks reportedly have begun, the Bucs are in prime position to swing a deal for what they consider franchise-type quarterbacks. They have 12 picks, two in the third round.

"Part of our process is to be prepared for everything that can occur on draft day," Allen said Monday. "The quarterback position has always been the center point of franchises going back to Sammy Baugh.

"Both performed well. We have specific things we look for that were not done on the pro timing dates, and having Coach Gruden and Coach Hackett, two experienced quarterbacks coaches, we thought it went very well."

The Bucs even had a surprise for Rodgers. They arranged for Jerry Rice, the NFL's all-time leading receiver, to catch passes. Rice, who asked for and received his release from the Seahawks, still is interested in playing next season.

"It was a thrill for (Rodgers)," Allen said. "Obviously, (Rice) has an excellent relationship with Jon. Jerry has to decide whether he's going to play or not, and he wasn't of that mind-set (Saturday). It was more for fun. He got a good workout in and got to see one of the best players in the draft."

Gruden began the one-hour interview with Rodgers with a get-acquainted session, asking about his background, work habits and how he has dealt with criticism, according to agent Mike Sullivan.

"We wouldn't be here if we weren't players in this," Gruden told Rodgers.

Next, Gruden sent Rodgers to the grease board to break down formations and plays against certain defenses. Then they watched a tape of Rodgers completing 23 consecutive passes against national champion Southern Cal.

Gruden questioned Rodgers on every play, analyzing protection schemes and receiver progressions. Then it was to the practice field for a brief workout.

"Jon was doing lot of individual things," Sullivan said.

The Bucs went through a similar routine with Smith on Friday.

Tampa Bay has veteran Brian Griese and backup Chris Simms entering his third season.

But Gruden doesn't expect to ever be in such a good position to get a franchise quarterback.

Furthermore, Rodgers and Smith have traits that intrigue Gruden. Rodgers, who will be 22 in December, played in a West Coast offensive system at Cal under coach Jeff Tedford, who also tutored Joey Harrington, David Carr and Akili Smith. Alex Smith, 21 in May, played mostly in the shotgun at Utah, but he is smart and athletic.

"They both come from very good offenses," Gruden said recently. "(Rodgers) makes a wide range of plays as a passer. And it looks like he's making some key decisions with the protection and with the running game. And he's got size.

"(Smith) is a genius. I don't know if genius is a good word, but he's pretty ... smart. He sits in there with the coaches all day, every day. He loves football. This guy is close to 6-4. He can run. He can throw. Players love him. And if you watch him play against Texas A&M and Pittsburgh, you'll say he's good against any competition. I don't know. I like them both. I like them both a lot."

April 13th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

There is a lot of smoke being sent from clubs right now.

I wonder how much of it is true

April 13th, 2005, 3:09 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I agree - tonz of BS and hype. This is why it's so much fun.

April 13th, 2005, 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

I am the gm of tampa bay in our mock goin on and I looked through one of their boards and the concensus from the fans seems to be they want to give Sims a chance. They are more concerned with DL, OL, and RB. Although as Lions fans know the desires of the fans are not always the same as the front office.

April 13th, 2005, 4:27 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

There will be a lot of trades or not very many-I cannot decide. :lol: There is a fifty % chance of rain and sun.

April 13th, 2005, 7:13 pm
RIP Killer

I have to say there will be a record number of trades this year. Everyone's got their knocks against them, and every team likes specific people. My guess is that there will be trades up to snatch the top WRs (including Clayton and Williamson). It'll be a crazy draft (at least we can only hope, maybe Millen can screw another team like he did to the Browns, or SD did to the NYG!).

April 13th, 2005, 8:25 pm
QB Coach

Let me shoot down some ideas...

1) Gruden likes Simms and wants to give him a chance.

- Simms has been in Gruden's dog house since he fumbled a snap, losing a game that he started (Against SEA?). Simms is a restricted FA, and the organization doesn't like him enough to committ to him as the starting QB.

2) Griese was given a contract extention, thus two QBs with starting contracts would be not possible (gosh that's terrible vocab...)

- Griese's contract is a cap friendly deal, and is structured so that he can be released if they find a QB. He also had a fluke year, and may not be able to duplicate his numbers.

April 13th, 2005, 11:11 pm
Profile WWW

I do not think Griese had a fluke year. The QB position takes a lot of development. There are some guys that just get mature and comfortable with age: Dilfer, Gannon, and Kerry Collins, for example.

I am not sure Tampa is really looking at a QB, unless they figure they will never be in striking range of a franchise QB again. My top 10 mock still has 2 QBs taken in the top 3. That would depend on SF picking Rodgers though.

April 13th, 2005, 11:24 pm
QB Coach

The thing is, Tampa (being Gruden) feels that the quarterbacks in this year's draft are potential franchise quarterbacks, and if you have a slight need for a QB, you take them.

Griese's year was indeed a fluke... here is a guy who couldn't beat out Jay Fiedler, who was out of Denver for Jake Plummer... and has never been great statistically. I'd bring up stats, but my internet is awful right now. He has a breakout year in a "contract year".... sounds like a fluke to me.

April 13th, 2005, 11:31 pm
Profile WWW

Well, last year was his best season, so I guess we will find out soon if it was a fluke or not. He seemed more mature in Tampa and did not have that much to work with.

April 13th, 2005, 11:35 pm
RIP Killer

Well, last year was his best season, so I guess we will find out soon if it was a fluke or not. He seemed more mature in Tampa and did not have that much to work with.

I don't know if I'd call it his best season...It was one of his best I would say. I think his best season was in 2000, looking at the stats.

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards TD Int Rate
1998 Broncos 1 0 3 1 33.3 2 0 1 2.8
1999 Broncos 14 13 452 261 57.7 3032 14 14 75.6
2000 Broncos 10 10 336 216 64.3 2688 19 4 102.9
2001 Broncos 15 15 451 275 61.0 2827 23 19 78.5
2002 Broncos 13 13 436 291 66.7 3214 15 15 85.6
2003 Dolphins 5 5 130 74 56.9 813 5 6 69.2
2004 Buccaneers11 10 336 233 69.3 2632 20 12 97.5

Last edited by conversion02 on April 14th, 2005, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 14th, 2005, 8:23 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Considering that he only played in 11 games, thats not too shabby.

April 14th, 2005, 8:31 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for looking that up conversion. Your numbers are impossible to trump. The one thing, I might say, is that his cast was way better back then than last year. I thought he displayed more leadership last year even if that does not come through on all the numbers.

April 14th, 2005, 12:04 pm
RIP Killer

Thanks for looking that up conversion. Your numbers are impossible to trump. The one thing, I might say, is that his cast was way better back then than last year. I thought he displayed more leadership last year even if that does not come through on all the numbers.

That's a good point. His cast in Denver was better than what he's got in Tampa. 97.5 rating is nothing to scoff at! It does seem like he made better decisions last year than in the past and he seemed to fit better in Tampa.

April 14th, 2005, 12:19 pm
QB Coach

Also consider that he has yet to play an entire season...

His numbers are somewhat skewed for the following reasons. 1) As I mentioned above, he hasn't played an entire season in his career 2) His best two seasons, he only started 10 games 3) Both breakout seasons were contract years... after Griese's rookie deal expired and after his contract with Tampa expired.

I don't think Gruden has "his guy" in Tampa... he was reluctant to re-sign Griese, and nearly lost him to free agency.

April 14th, 2005, 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next