View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 1:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Zetterberg sidelined 2-3 weeks 
Modmin Dude

Post Zetterberg sidelined 2-3 weeks
freep.com wrote:
Zetterberg sidelined 2-3 weeks

Forward Zetterberg will rest inflamed disk

March 1, 2007

BY HELENE ST. JAMES

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Who will join the Red Wings' lineup first, Todd Bertuzzi or Henrik Zetterberg?

Zetterberg, the star forward, will miss two to three weeks with an inflamed disk.

"It's similar to a herniation," general manager Ken Holland said. "It's nothing significant, but the doctors feel he should take seven to 10 days of rest, and the hope is the inflammation goes down. Then we're slowly going to bring him back. We estimate he'll be out of the lineup two to three weeks."

Zetterberg suffered back spasms during a drill Monday and missed the trip to Chicago for Tuesday's game. An MRI didn't reveal damage, but a second one was done Wednesday.

Rest has been beneficial for Zetterberg in the past. After taking a five-day break in January to heal an ailing wrist, Zetterberg emerged after the All-Star break and produced 13 goals and 25 points in 11 games in February.

Bertuzzi, out another two to three weeks after back surgery, is expected to practice today. Wednesday the Wings set up a locker for him, selecting the one that belonged to former captain Steve Yzerman until his retirement last summer. Bertuzzi will be next to Zetterberg, an assistant captain.

Copyright © 2007 Detroit Free Press Inc.

March 1st, 2007, 2:00 pm
RIP Killer

I didn't like the Bertuzzi deal before this and I don't like it now.

This is a huge blow with Zett. Hopefully the Wings can keep it up during this crucial stretch. I want them to catch Nashville and take the lead for best in the West.

March 1st, 2007, 8:52 pm
I didn't like the Bertuzzi deal before this and I don't like it now.

This is a huge blow with Zett. Hopefully the Wings can keep it up during this crucial stretch. I want them to catch Nashville and take the lead for best in the West.

Cheli likes the deal, and so does Babcock...

Quote:
Newcomer Bertuzzi impresses Red Wings' coach

March 1, 2007

DETROIT (AP) -- Todd Bertuzzi wasted no time mixing it up with the Detroit Red Wings in his first practice with his new team.

Acquired from Florida at the trade deadline Tuesday, Bertuzzi said he appreciated having a chance to make one of the NHL's top teams even better.

"It's good to come in here, get a good skate in and meet the guys and get comfortable," the 32-year-old forward said. "I'm excited. All the credit goes to the team to get in this spot (in the standings). I'm hoping to come in and find a spot."

That won't happen right away. Bertuzzi hasn't played since he had lower-back surgery in November -- after being sidelined for more than two weeks by a herniated disc. Detroit coach Mike Babcock hopes to have Bertuzzi in the lineup by the end of the month.

"I knew he'd go on the ice, but I thought he'd be out there for a few minutes and be gone," Babcock said after practice. "I was surprised he hung around and got involved in the drills you get bumped. I told him, `You don't have to impress us today. You impressed already before, and that's why you're here."'

Bertuzzi acknowledged that he can't afford to hurry himself into the lineup.

"I can't be too eager and I don't want to mess things up," he said.

Bertuzzi met before practice with fellow veteran Chris Chelios. The two squared off numerous times going back several years to Bertuzzi's stint in Vancouver.

"I'm sure glad he's on our team and we're not playing against him," Chelios said.

Bertuzzi also fielded questions about the March 2004 incident in which he sucker-punched Colorado's Steve Moore in one of hockey's ugliest episodes. He served a 17-month suspension after hitting Moore in the side of the head and driving him face-first into the ice, breaking three vertebrae in his neck, giving him a concussion and other injuries.

After pleading guilty to assaulting Moore, Bertuzzi was sentenced to probation and community service.

"The only people who talk about and discuss it is usually media and all that," Bertuzzi said Thursday. "You know, I gotta respect that you guys have a job to do and I understand it. ... I'm the same as everyone else. I just got issues that will take care of themselves. Like I said, it's not for Detroit to deal with. It's for me to deal with. It has no bearing on anything right now with me playing here."

I realize some of this could be 'towing the company line'... but Cheli sounds VERY excited to have Todd on our squad... He said, "I grew about two inches once we signed him" (I'm guessing meaning that he can play much bigger with Todd on the ice, LoL, but it does sound kind of perverted!!!)...

Unlike Uwe he seems like he wants to earn his paycheck, and he seems committed to coming back and winning here... Many people didn't like the Shanny signing because he was "old and had a bad back" too... And we all know how that turned out.

We've more or less caught Nash.. All we have to do is win our next game and we'll be tied... The game on the 6th is going to be cricial!... But I agree... I would def. like to catch them and pass them before the playoffs start!...

March 2nd, 2007, 9:45 am
Peewee Leaguer

Are we gonna make it to the post season with a team, or all injured. Now Markov out.

March 13th, 2007, 3:26 am
Profile YIM
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Zetterberg said today that he might not be able to return until the playoffs begin, according to AM 1270. I hope that isn't the case, but it's something that bears watching.

March 16th, 2007, 12:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]