View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 How do you rebuild the Pistons? 
National Champion

Post How do you rebuild the Pistons?
The secret for beating Detroit is out. You put a big guard on Chauncey and contest Prince's shot. Plus there are personnel decisions and draft choices to be made.

Options:
1. Do not resign Chauncey to big bucks.
2. Trade Rip Hamilton
3. Trade Sheed?
4. Resign Webber

Untapped potential:
1. Maxiell
2. Johnson
3. Delfino?

Trading Block
1. Zach Randolph
2. Grant Hill?
3. Nowitzki?

Free Agency
1. Fillers

I think that one approach might be to sign Chauncey as an off/Combo guard and trade Rip who has a reasonable contract. Then you would draft a PG and try to coax Grant Hill as a PG. I would like to resign Webber and see if Kander can get his knees clean. If you could move Rasheed at below market value that would be a strong consideration to free up minutes for younger frontline players.

June 4th, 2007, 2:22 am
RIP Killer

The problem with the Pistons (same with the Mavs in Dallas) is that they are completely reliant on the jump shot. That wins in the regular season, but not so in the playoffs. The Stones are made of jump shooters and they are pretty much dependent on Billips and Hamilton to hit shots. If they don't fall, or the other team has a hotter shooter (like Gibson) - you are done.

The Spurs won't let the Cavs beat them like the Pistons did. They will take it inside with Duncan, even Ginobli and Parker will take it to the rim. They will have better recover defense as well.

The Pistons need to get an inside game - I don't really see any help from the guys above except Maxiell who can further develop and perhaps Randolph.

June 4th, 2007, 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

We had this same conversation a few years back. I don't think you rebuild but there are a couple things to consider.

1) Chauncy...I think he's a keeper for the moment. You are not going to get a better free agent out there and what are you going to trade for. Unless it's for super stud youngin or Jason Kidd/Steve Nash then why do it. I don't you throw a max deal at him but you have to reward him...he is a underpaid player as it is.

2) Webber. Tough call...we are faced with the plight of aging big men. Rasheed, Webber, Dyess, Dale Davis...we need some youthful injection and I don't mean Maxiel. I am hoping that Amir Johnson is given some regular minutes next year to see what he can do, I liked what I saw of him this season and think he has some real potential. So unless they can upgrade this posistion some how in way of Jermain Oneal or some other pie in the sky idea I think we have to keep him. I think if Amir is really a player then our old guys could serve as excellent mentors to him.

The reality is we were 2 wins away from the finals...and it's not like we got wrecked. Lebron shouldn't have hit all those shots in his big game and if he misses one we were in possession of the closeout and not them. I don't think you blow this up...the East is still ours for the taking IMO and some improvement on the young guys part and we could be a deep and dangerous team.

My only other thought is get fricken prince into the weight room for crying out loud. He can be fabulous at times but his lack of strength is what allows guys to body up on him and slow him down. I think strength would give him more confidence to take the ball inside and be the force he could really be.

June 4th, 2007, 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Rebuild? How about how do we reload? We are aging but still are a top team. Here's some thoughts:

1) Resign Chauncey. There is nothing on the horizon as far as a replacent for him and Chauncey still is one of top PG's in the league. This is a no brainer, IMO.

2) Get younger. This should be easier since we have 2 picks in the 1st round this year and the draft is deep. More minutes will be given to Maxiell and Amir Johnson should be in the rotation next season.

3) Re-up McDyess. I know he is getting up there in age, but he still has at least 3-4 more productive years left. Plus he is a great teacher to our younger players and a complete proffesional.

4) Trade Nazr. I know he hasn't played and when he did earlier in the year he didn't show much, but he is still a legit 7 footer w/ offensive skills and a reasonable contract. There are plenty of teams that could use him.

5) Get a penetrator/scorer. This could happen in the above scenario by trading Nazr. Or through our mid-level exception (Grant Hill anyone?). Either way, we need a player who can produce his own shot. The Flip Murray experiment failed, IMO.

Tim

June 4th, 2007, 10:23 am
National Champion

My original post partially referenced this excellent article. It puts the Cav series in tactical and historical perspective:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 40357/1051

One of the problems of the Pistons is what Pablo pointed out and I would add that they are not able to create their own shots without a superstar in playoff defense situation. The other problem is that teams might be figuring out how to scheme the Pistons. Wasn't it funny how they roared through the first 7 games and then were flat for the following month?

So while you could say they are only two wins away and all that, they may still be an insurmountable distance from winning the finals, which was my point about rebuilding or reloading whatever you want to call it.

June 4th, 2007, 1:56 pm
I can't stand Chauncy Billups... I haven't liked him for the last 2-3 years. People like to call him "Mr. Big Shot" and what not, but IMO the guy is NOT clutch and he sux. IMO he's the Shaq of the point guards... He gets most of his points and most of his "play" comes from his size, not his ability... And, the league is cracking down on his style of play. Personally, I don't think that this year or last were aborations... I think Chauncy is at best an average PG in the game, if he's even that. IMO he turns the ball over too much, and he's not a good enough passer to be called a top PG in the NBA...

That said... When Ben's contract negotiations were going on last year some said that he was the "heart and sole" of the team and we had to have him back, and other's said that Chauncy was... I argued that Rip and Prince were the true players that we can't get rid of... Everyone else is expendable IMO... Sheed is great, but he's too streaky... Billups can create mis-matches due to his size, but 1) like I said, the league is cracking down on that and 2) his "big shot" has seemed to fade from his game... call him streaky or w/e but his defense is consistent... consistently BAD... With his defense and turn-overs, I don't see how anyone can consider him a top tier PG...

Also, any talk of how to turn this team around, IMO, HAS to include talks of replacing Flip Saunders.. IMO he's garbage... I thought he might be "ok" before he came here with all of the hype surrounding him and Rip, Chauncy, Sheed, and Ben's talk of how "this team doesn't need a coach," but after his first few games I didn't like him at all. I like the fact that he's FINALLY playing some of our younger guys... IMO a coach HAS to play the younger guys in order for a franchise to have consistent, pro-longed success, and that is something that LB is horrible at... That said this team needs a STRONG coach to keep players like Chauncy on track... Chauncy was twice the player under LB... Why? Because he didn't make 1/2 as many mental mistakes under Brown... Brown would ride his azz if he took a bad shot, whether he made it or not... How many times throughout the season and in the playoffs did you see Billiups run down the court and throw up a garbage three pointer with NO ONE to rebound... He even does that crap early in the shot clock WHEN WE HAVE THE LEAD... it's ridiculous, and IMO it's a big reason why we lose games... Often times they are quick turnovers (thought they show up on the score card as rebounds) and result in the opposing team scoring on us...

I don't know who I'd like to see brought back, but IMO this year would have been either a championship year, or AT LEAST a finals appearance under Larry... I really think the environment here is such that LB couldn't return and be successful, but we need another strong defenisve X's and O's type of coach that stays on these guys to keep them playing "the right way." Flip is NOT the answer IMO...

June 4th, 2007, 4:32 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Good post, wjb. Although, I do have to argue you on a few of your points. Chauncey is a top tier PG. He actually led the league or was among teh top 5 is assist to turnover ratio in all 5 years he has been w/ the Pistons. The Cavs trapped him and made him lose mental focus in this series, hence the turnovers. I'm not going to defend Chauncey for his play in this series, because IMO, he should have been able to adjust and overcome the trap the Cavs threw at him. Other than 1 game, Chauncey just wasn't himself. With that being said, you cannot throw out his 5 year body of work w/ this team over 1 series. All players have their ups and downs, but Billups has won games time and again w/ clutch shots and he never misses at the foul line. Just because he is big and strong and uses that to his advantage should not be a fault. Shaq is still among the best players ever to play because he has as much skill as he does size. Same with Chauncey.

Secondly, I'm not going to defend Flip because he gets just as much blame as everyone else for our playoff exit. But Flip is hardly a bad coach. He is a very good X's and O's coach. He taught our players the value of playing 'zone' defense and does a good job of mixing it up. He doesn't run the players ragged in practice and always seems to have a good game plan. I do agree though that he doesn't have as much respect in the lockerroom from the players as he should. He should be more authoritive and let the players know he is in charge and they do need him. I think he deserves credit for his coaching in the regular season, but until he gets more respect from the players, they just won't perform up to their capabilities in the playoffs. That does need to change.

Tim

June 4th, 2007, 7:04 pm
RIP Killer

Exactly like Pablo said - TAKE IT TO THE HOOP! We score points when CB takes it to the rack like LeBron did time after time...working his way up to 14+ FT attempts. CB should have been getting guys like Verajao, Z, and so on in constant foul trouble.

Rip is a jump shooter. CB is too damn strong to throw lob passes to Webber, Sheed, or Prince over the defender (after like 14 seconds of holding the ball and burning clock).

They need to do something with Sheed. He hurts the team more than he helps it IMO. Sure, the dood is clutch on occassion and hits a random crazy 3...but how often does he consistently take it to the rack? Sure, he'll throw down 9 blocks in 2 games...but where's he at for the next 3?

June 4th, 2007, 9:01 pm
Site Admin

While I will agree that Sheed can be wildly inconsistent...he is the best player when he is on for the Pistons.

How about this...I know it's a long shot...drop Webber and get fricken Zach Randolf to fill in along side Sheed. I have heard that he is done in Portland (can't remember the source though) I know he is a bit of a head case but Sheed brought him into the league and the Pistons have done a great job of keeping a cool locker room. Zach can take the ball to the rack and that's what we need. We would immediately become the beast of the east again and have a scary front court to compliment our top notch back court. How we do that is up to Joe D whether it's trade away draft picks and N.Mohommad and Delfino to make it happen. Anyways...that's the kind of thinking we need to be doing. One move like that and everyone stops crying about the Pistons and Joe D is a guy that can make it happen. I would even consider giving up Prince in a deal for him just because there are always decent 3's available in the draft and league.

June 5th, 2007, 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

Ideally, I would want to keep Chauncey and Tayshaun and probably Rasheed. Webber will probably retire. Rip is a talent, but is expendable IMO. Nazr Mohammed should be traded. Delfino should be looked at hard for trade material too. For the three of them and some of our draft picks, we could get somebody to fill the slasher/power dribbling role.

If Lindsey Hunter doiesn't retire, keep him. If he does retire, go after a defensive scrapper to replace him (nobody in mind though). Keep McDyess if he doesn't retire but start working his minutes to Maxiell and Amir Johnson. Flip Murray will probably opt out, but perhaps they could convince him to a sign and trade deal in the trade mentioned above.

Chauncey cannot be replaced. He is in the top 3 for PGs in this league and we are not gonna get somebody to fill his spot. Rasheed is undefendable if he is in the right mindset, and Prince, IMO, is the future star of this team.

June 5th, 2007, 12:31 pm
League MVP

the first thing i would do is look for a new coach. sure flip is okay with x's and o's etc but he has no semblance of a rotation and i think that has affected how the young players have developed as well as the play of veterans of the bench. that he found no role for nazr mohammed is ridiculous and the way he used flip murray was pathetic. i know this team would do better if we had carlisle or brown but those bridges seem burned.

FAs/roster. Bringing back chauncey is a must. he is our most important player, when he goes down we dont even have a backup who can make an entry pass into the lane let alone someone who can run the offense which brings me to the next thing. they must have a capable backup pg, not a star but someone who can run the offense and rest chauncey. i think the darko trade hurt us bc we lost arroyo who can make some plays on offense and rest billups. billups was playing like an MVP until shortly after that trade now he is just so worn down by the time we get deep into the playoffs. if the pistons can clear out mohammed they are in business and could add a good player without making a big trade. if zach randolph is a possibility they should do whatever necessary to get him, he can get you easy points inside and rebound - but he's never had a coach to really challenge him, something that could make him special (flip wouldnt be that guy either though). I would definitely try to sign grant hill, he can still shoot, he can still drive to the hoop and he can still play defense. plus he makes delfino and possibly even prince expendable - two guys that should have trade value (wouldnt trade tay though). assuming hill is on board i try to move up into the top 10 of this year's draft (using delfino, murray and next year's 1st rder as bait) and taking a stud player - maybe we can get one at 15 where we are at but i really think that we could get an impact player in the top 10.

1. Fire flip
2. sign chauncey
3. acquire backup pg
4. sign grant hill
5. chris webber to backup money
6. move mohammed, murray, delfino
7. move up in the draft and get a stud
8. +/- on mcdyess, i love him but if we get randolph bring back webber and rasheed and draft a horford or noah + maxiell we'd be ok

June 9th, 2007, 11:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]