View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 6:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 GM: Wings won't bring back Lang 
Modmin Dude

Post GM: Wings won't bring back Lang
Freep.com wrote:
GM: Wings won't bring back Lang

June 21, 2007

BY HELENE ST. JAMES

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland has a full lineup of agent meetings scheduled over the coming two days in an attempt to lock up most of his free agents before the market opens.

One player who will not be asked back, though, is center Robert Lang.

"I've contacted Petr Svoboda and told him we will not be offering a contract to Robert Lang," Holland said Wednesday.

This isn't much of a surprise. Lang, who entered the 2007 playoffs as the team's leading scorer during the previous two playoff runs, had just two goals and eight points in 18 games this spring. His ice time hovered around 15 minutes -- low for a player considered a top-six forward -- and there was tension between Lang and coach Mike Babcock.

Before the NHL draft begins with Friday night's first round, Holland plans to meet with the agents for Dominik Hasek, Mathieu Schneider and Danny Markov. All three are eligible to become unrestricted free agents July 1.

BOSTON: The Bruins kept quiet -- but scheduled a news conference for today -- following a Canadian Press report that former Montreal Canadiens and New Jersey Devils coach Claude Julien would be named their head coach today. The job has been vacant less than a week since former Wings coach Dave Lewis was relieved of his duties and offered another position within the organization.

CALGARY: Re-signed forward David Moss. Moss made his NHL debut last season for the Flames, registering 10 goals and eight assists in 41 games. Moss also appeared in all six playoff games against the Red Wings, recording one assist. The Livonia native and ex-Wolverine was taken in the seventh round of the 2001 NHL draft.

CAROLINA: Scott Walker passed on free agency and will return to the Hurricanes after agreeing to a three-year, $7.5-million contract. Walker, a rugged right wing, could have become an unrestricted free agent July 1. He had 21 goals, 30 assists and 45 penalty minutes last season, adding toughness to a roster built primarily around speed.

Contact HELENE ST. JAMES at 313-222-2295 or hstjames@freepress.com. Check out her Red Wings blog at www.freep.com/sports. Free Press news services contributed.

Copyright © 2007 Detroit Free Press Inc.

I, for one, will be glad that Lang's not going to be back. IMO he just wasn't doing anything. I watched him "lally-gag" too much and just let the opposing team skate by.

June 21st, 2007, 11:17 am
Varsity 1st Team

Not only could we afford to lose Lang, we probably could not afford to NOT lose him

June 21st, 2007, 11:24 am
Modmin Dude

Not only could we afford to lose Lang, we probably could not afford to NOT lose him

:confused:

June 21st, 2007, 11:27 am
LoL... I can't say that I'll miss him... The dood had a good wrist shot, but IMO he couldn't skate or pass worth a crap... Not to mention his lack of solid D... Hopefully we replace him with someone that has decent size/physical play ability.

June 21st, 2007, 12:13 pm
Varsity 1st Team

What I meant when I said the Wings couldn't afford to not lose him is that I don't think the Wings can afford him with the salary cap. They are still after Schneider, Bertuzzi, and Hasek, plus they will probably go after some other free agents, so the easiest option IMO was to get rid of Lang

June 21st, 2007, 12:29 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I figured that the Wings wouldn't bring Lang back and I'm glad. The guy would drive me nuts because he was a turnover machine. It seemed like every other time he touched the puck, he gave it to the other team. Good Riddance!

June 21st, 2007, 6:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]