View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 4:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Chauncy Opts Out... 
Post Chauncy Opts Out...
By now I'm sure that everyone has heard that Chauncy has opted out of his deal and is now a FA...

He was scheduled to make over 6 million this year should he have stayed, and the speculation is that his salary will double.

IMO, for double his salary, screw him... I wouldn't pay him anywhere close to 12-13 million per season. Let some other team over-pay for him.

June 25th, 2007, 10:53 pm
Site Admin

Big deals going down with Garnett possibly to the lakers, J.Oneal to boston, Odom and bleh somewhere...basically LA looks like a winner. I think the Twolves get some scrub and the 5th pick overall.

Also, if Chauncy bolts and we get zippo that would be Ben and Chauncy who bail and we have nothing to show for it. I would be pisst. Not saying pay him 16 mil per but we CANNOT afford to loss guys to FA for nothing. Heck, we got more for Delfino than we did for losing Ben Wallace.

Quote:
Pistons G Billups becomes free agent

June 25, 2007

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Detroit Pistons point guard Chauncey Billups has opted out of the final year of his six-year contract, making him an unrestricted free agent heading into the summer signing season.

"He informed the team this morning that he was opting out of his final year with the Pistons and that makes him a free agent -- which we expected," team spokesman Matt Dobek said Monday.

The 6-foot-3, 202-pound All-Star has said he would prefer to stay with Detroit and expects to be back if the team can match the best deal he can find from another team.

It's smart business on Chauncys part. He would be silly not to opt out and make his money. I bet some team out there gives him some crazy near max contract :roll: ...this has Danny Ainge or Zeek written all over it :shock:

Or Joe gives him good money signs and trades him fast. If Ben now Chauncy are gonna defect then Joe is going to show them no loyalty after the Pistons made them players.

June 26th, 2007, 12:22 am
Profile WWW
I get what you're saying Alpha, but it's bad business to keep them around and over-pay them. Losing Ben was huge, but he's not worth his salary. He's not a top 5 Center, just like Chauncy is not a top 5 PG.

I would love to land Garnett or Kobe, but if we don't make any moves, even if we lose Billups, I'll be happy with this team. I don't think we'll be in the top 3 in the East, but we'll still be good and I can't see Joe not making any moves before next year's playoffs roll around.

I would also LOVE to land J. O'Niel... I'd like to get Sheed back to playing PF full-time. We don't have a C right now.. Webber is too damn old, Sheed, IMO is a terrible C, and Mohammad just plain didn't work out. IMO that's one of the biggest problems this team has is its lack of an aggressive big man down low. Right now, IMO, Jason Maxiel is the best C we have, and that's a problem (I realize he usually plays F).

June 26th, 2007, 1:35 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

J. O'Neal is nowhere near the player he once was, and even then he wasn't a perennial allstar. Add to the fact that he has been injurie prone for 3+ seasons and the reasoning that there is no way the Pacers trade within the division and you can forget this ever happening.

As for Billups, this is a business decision and Dumars will be resigning him, no question about that. And he should. And wjb, other than Nash, Kidd, Parker, Paul, and Deron Williams, there really are no better PG's in the league in front of Billups. So while he may arguably not be top 5, he is on the cusp, and we cannot afford to lose him.......

Tim

June 26th, 2007, 9:21 am
RIP Killer

Billups is not worth 10-15a season. I'd offer him 7-8 to keep him
but not much more.

June 26th, 2007, 12:06 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'd pay Chauncey top PG money to keep him. Him and Rip are a good tandem in the backcourt for us and that doesn't need to be disturbed. I believe if Chauncey is gone.. we won't make it far in the playoffs.. that is if we even make it.

NEVER GIVE UP!

June 26th, 2007, 12:23 pm
J. O'Neal is nowhere near the player he once was, and even then he wasn't a perennial allstar. Add to the fact that he has been injurie prone for 3+ seasons and the reasoning that there is no way the Pacers trade within the division and you can forget this ever happening.

As for Billups, this is a business decision and Dumars will be resigning him, no question about that. And he should. And wjb, other than Nash, Kidd, Parker, Paul, and Deron Williams, there really are no better PG's in the league in front of Billups. So while he may arguably not be top 5, he is on the cusp, and we cannot afford to lose him.......

IMO Mike Bibby and Kirt Hinricj are both better than Billups, along with everyone else you've mentioned. Additionally, after those 7 players I think there is a BIG drop off in talent before you get to the tier that Billups is on. To pay him top PG money would be a POOR business decision, IMO.

J. O'Niel might not be what he once was, but at least he's a true C. Provide a better option and I'll withdraw my remarks on him. Barring some trade landing them a superstar the Pacers aren't going anywhere any time soon. Don't count out an inter-division trade between us and them, esp. if it makes them younger and more competitive years out. Remember, it's not just one team that is giving something up when you make an inter-division trade. It's not that Indy is afraid to deal us a good player, there is risk too on what we give them. Now that might be a parital justification for us not to make that move, but IMO given the age of true talent of this team, we should be in "win-now" mode.

Sheed, Rip, Tay, and Billups aren't getting any younger. Billups already looks like he's lost a step, and it's not going to get any better. The guy is already 30-31... There's no way I would give him anything close to a max deal for even 2-3 years. 8-10 million for 3 would be fine with me, but honestly, I would prefer we dumped him.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown on June 27th, 2007, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 26th, 2007, 12:42 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I decided to post this here because it makes mention of Chaunce.

But, do you think there is a chance the Pistons would pursue Darko? I know it didn't work out with him before. But, he now has a season in which he actually got plenty of playing time. AND! Ben Wallace is no longer here to keep Darko on the bench. So, he would get plenty of playing time as the true Center now.

Quote:
Magic will pursue Sonics' Lewis, try to re-sign Milicic

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 1:04 pm EDT
Rashard Lewis

The Orlando Magic are expected to contact Seattle SuperSonics small forward Rashard Lewis and make a contract offer to their own power forward Darko Milicic on Sunday when the NBA free-agent market officially opens for business.

While the Magic don't believe New Jersey Nets guard Vince Carter or Detroit Pistons point guard Chauncey Billups will leave their respective teams as free agents, the Magic also will aggressively gauge their interest as well.

Charlotte Bobcats guard Gerald Wallace also could be on the short list.

Source: Orlando Sentinel

Related: Darko Milicic, Vince Carter, Rashard Lewis, Gerald Wallace, Chauncey Billups, Charlotte Bobcats, Detroit Pistons, New Jersey Nets, Orlando Magic, Seattle SuperSonics

June 27th, 2007, 4:30 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

about billups. only nash and arenas are better PG than Billups. Williams and Paul are certainly the future at the position but if there was a big game right now i would take billups or baron davis over them. Kidd is declining and is no longer an elite talent. the mention of hinrich is laughable - i live in chicago and you would be hard pressed to even find bulls fans who would take hinrich over chauncey. the fact is that chauncey is the pistons best and most important player. he has played the past two seasons without any sory of capable backup and has struggled down the stretch - joe d should have got him some help and flip should have established someone as the backup pg. there is no argument to this - if you doubt it remind yourself of how lousy this team was when chauncey went down this winter. they were completely miserable. there are no good centers in the east outside of shaq/zo so center should not be a huge concern for us. we need to keep chauncey fresh for the playoffs. also jermaine oneal is not a true center - he has always played alongside one such as brad miller, jeff foster, david harrison - cmon wjb i know you've watched us play vs the pacers before...the only argument i can see to not keeping chauncey is based on contract length and i would like to sign him for 5 or less years. also i think if flip saunders stays we are screwed and might as well let chauncey walk.

as far as the draft is concerned, i think the pistons were close to coming away big with al thornton but oh well. im disappointed that they took 3 players all at the same position - all big guards but none a true point and none with big time speed/quickness. i question how it would even be possible for all to make the team - why pick a 3rd SG/SF type guy in rd 2? maybe they think alex acker can come back from europe and man some point but thats risky.

June 29th, 2007, 12:45 am
as far as the draft is concerned, i think the pistons were close to coming away big with al thornton but oh well. im disappointed that they took 3 players all at the same position - all big guards but none a true point and none with big time speed/quickness. i question how it would even be possible for all to make the team - why pick a 3rd SG/SF type guy in rd 2? maybe they think alex acker can come back from europe and man some point but thats risky.

Maybe they're counting on letting Chauncy walk? I really don't see how you can say he's a true point. He turns the ball over way too much, his assist to turn-over ratio is only good because of how well we jump shoot, not his ability to pass the rock. I don't see him having any sort of good court vision, and his defense is down right LOUSY.

The guy is already 30/31, I certainly wouldn't want to sign him for 5. 3 Years 8-10 million is ok, anything more and he's robbin' us.

I too wanted Thorton... After he was gone Law or Crittenton would have been my pick, but everyone knows that I'm skeptical of small school guys.

I agree 100% on Flip... Dood is garbage... This team needs more of an authoritative coach.

June 29th, 2007, 11:54 am
RIP Killer

I'm not following you at all WJB. Chauncy is an all-star and was MVP of the finals. Outside of centers, point guard is the hardest position to fill on the roster. The league is full of 2's playing point.

The Stones had the lowest # of turnovers in the league and Chauncy was a big reason. You try to negate the fact that he had the best assist to TO ratio in the league (3.59). And we all know who takes and makes the clutch shots on this team. I also think you are selling him way short on defense.

He does turn 31 in September, but he is not a speed point guard and should be able to play his style at a high level over a 5 year contact IMO. The Pistons window is closing fast, losing Chauncy would slam it shut.

June 29th, 2007, 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
I'm not following you at all WJB. Chauncy is an all-star and was MVP of the finals. Outside of centers, point guard is the hardest position to fill on the roster. The league is full of 2's playing point.

The Stones had the lowest # of turnovers in the league and Chauncy was a big reason. You try to negate the fact that he had the best assist to TO ratio in the league (3.59). And we all know who takes and makes the clutch shots on this team. I also think you are selling him way short on defense.

He does turn 31 in September, but he is not a speed point guard and should be able to play his style at a high level over a 5 year contact IMO. The Pistons window is closing fast, losing Chauncy would slam it shut.

The league is cracking down against Chauncy's style of play.

He was HORRIBLE in the playoffs.

You can ellude to him taking "most of the clutch shots on this team" but IMO his "clutch shot" is long gone. Sheed, Rip and even Tay now take just as many clutch shots as Chauncy. He hasn't hit a big shot to win us a game since when???...

Selling him short on D? How? He doesn't play D...

June 29th, 2007, 1:11 pm
RIP Killer

Everyone was horrible in the playoffs. Rip, Prince, Sheed - to single out Chauncy because his contract is up isn't right. You have to look at his entire body of work with Detroit which is very impressive. A knee jerk reaction because of a poor performance against the Cavs would be foolish IMO.

BTW - before you dump CB, who are you replacing him with? One of the rookies? A free agent? who?

June 29th, 2007, 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Everyone was horrible in the playoffs. Rip, Prince, Sheed - to single out Chauncy because his contract is up isn't right. You have to look at his entire body of work with Detroit which is very impressive. A knee jerk reaction because of a poor performance against the Cavs would be foolish IMO.

BTW - before you dump CB, who are you replacing him with? One of the rookies? A free agent? who?

Rookies are fine with me... There isn't a FA this year that I like, and I would NOT pay him more than 8-10 million per season. A "knee jerk" reaction to the lack of FA's this year is no reason to bury the franchise for the next 3-4 years.

My contempt for Chauncy has nothing to do with a knee jerk reaction from his playoff performance (and it wasn't just his performance against the Cavs, it was the entire playoffs). I don't like his style of play and I have wanted to get rid of him for the last two seasons. He used to come up with the big shot, but he doesn't even do that anymore. He has TERRIBLE shot selection and he NEEDS a coach like LB to be successful. The guy doesn't understand that when we're up late in games you can't run down and fire a 3 pointer with 19 seconds on the shot clock and no one down low. IMO Chauncy hasn't even been 1/2 way decent since the departure of LB, why over pay to keep him when our coach can't control him? Seems dumb to me... Maybe Phil Jackson can do something with him... Flip Saunders sure can't...

Preferrably I would like to trade for a PG, but if we can't, oh well... I'm just hoping that Joe drafted 3 guards to leverage Chauncy into signing for less if he wants to stay here, and if not to mitigate our damages if he leaves... I would have much rather had Crittenton or Law though, IMO they're both better PG's.

June 29th, 2007, 5:08 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Pistons kick off talks with Billups

Monday, Jul 2, 2007 3:33 pm EDT
Chauncey Billups

A league source confirmed that the Detroit Pistons began contract discussions with point guard Chauncey Billups' agent, Andy Miller. It is unclear how the talks went, though the source confirmed no agreement had been reached.

While Pistons officials have been quiet about a salary for Billups, it's believed he will be offered a four- or five-year deal that would start between $11 and $13 million per season.

July 2nd, 2007, 8:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next