View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 3rd, 2014, 12:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Motown SWEEP: Detroit Humiliates Atlanta, LOL!! 
Junior Varsity

Post The Motown SWEEP: Detroit Humiliates Atlanta, LOL!!
:idea: :idea: :idea: Damn, it was hot in more ways than one this weekend and I LOVED IT! It was great seeing our Boys of Summer kick Atlanta badonkadonk!

Sunday, June 24, 2007
ATLANTA - Andrew Miller and the Detroit Tigers certainly enjoyed interleague play. Miller threw six sharp innings and the Tigers beat the slumping Atlanta Braves 5-0 Sunday night for their seventh straight win - all on the road against National League teams.

The AL Central-leading Tigers finished 14-4 in interleague games, tying the Angels for the best mark in the majors.

The Braves (38-38 ) have lost five straight, including four by shutouts, to fall to .500 for the first time this season. The Braves have been outscored 27-1 in the five losses, their longest losing streak of the season.

Miller (3-1) has faced only NL teams in his four starts. The 22-year-old left-hander was lifted after walking Andruw Jones to open the seventh inning, as manager Jim Leyland continues to closely watch his pitch counts.

Miller gave up four hits, walked two and struck out two while throwing 88 pitches. Chad Durbin finished up to earn his first career save.

The Tigers plan to keep Miller, the sixth pick of the 2006 draft, in their rotation when Nate Robertson comes off the disabled list on Tuesday.

The only noise from the Braves this weekend was a short-lived spat between two of the team's veterans. Pitcher John Smoltz and third baseman Chipper Jones each said Sunday that a misunderstanding between the two played out in the media was solved in a meeting with manager Bobby Cox.

Chuck James (6-7) allowed just two hits in the first five innings, but left the game after allowing Detroit's first five hitters in the sixth to reach base.

Omar Infante led off with a bunt single and moved to second when James hit Placido Polanco with a pitch. Gary Sheffield's single to center drove in Infante for a 1-0 lead, and Magglio Ordonez added another single to load the bases.

Following a visit from pitching coach Roger McDowell, James walked Carlos Guillen to force in a run. Ivan Rodriguez hit reliever Pete Moylan's first pitch to left for a two-run single.

Moylan struck out pinch-hitter Curtis Granderson with the bases loaded to end the inning.

James gave up five hits and four runs in five innings. He struck out four and walked two.

The Tigers added an eighth-inning run off Wil Ledezma. Brandon Inge hit a one-out double down the left-field line, stole third base and scored on Durbin's fly ball to left.

Andruw Jones, who carried a .198 batting average into the game, hit a fourth-inning single to snap an 0-for-24 drought.

Notes:@ Atlanta RF Jeff Francoeur threw out Polanco at the plate to end a seventh-inning threat. Polanco tried to score from third on Rodriguez's fly ball. ... Atlanta's Yunel Escobar stole second base in the third, the first of his career. Escobar also made his first career start at second base.

Eldridge Cleaver

Go get 'em, TIGERS!!! :)

June 25th, 2007, 12:36 am
Profile YIM
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

That's 7 in a row and a 8-1 record on the 9 game road trip thru the NL East. Pretty impressive, especially since we didn't have the DH position available in these games.

We start a 13 game homestand tonight against Texas that also includes series against the Twins, Indians, and Red Sox. Go Tigers!

Tim

June 25th, 2007, 8:19 am
RIP Killer

lol, then we lose to Texas. Man, Loe pitched a hell of a game last night.

Bondo pitched damn well too in his defense. Another 9K game for Bondo. Dood is throwing some fierce stuff.

Bats took a back seat though.

June 26th, 2007, 9:51 am

Bondo pitched damn well too in his defense. Another 9K game for Bondo. Dood is throwing some fierce stuff.

Too bad he had that TERRIBLE throwing error to spark their surge. I really believe we would have won that game if it wasn't for that. Oh well... at least we got to throw our noobies a little...

Still in 1st place though...

June 26th, 2007, 12:30 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

You're right wjb, we are still in 1st. Guess I didn't expect the win streak to last forever, but it was Texas and Bonderman was pitching, so that game was a downer. Hopefully Robertson will pitch good tonight on his return from the DL. We need to get a streak rolling again so that when we play the Indians next week we can exact some revenge :twisted:

On a side note, whats up w/ our home record?

Tim

June 26th, 2007, 2:30 pm
You're right wjb, we are still in 1st. Guess I didn't expect the win streak to last forever, but it was Texas and Bonderman was pitching, so that game was a downer. Hopefully Robertson will pitch good tonight on his return from the DL. We need to get a streak rolling again so that when we play the Indians next week we can exact some revenge :twisted:

On a side note, whats up w/ our home record?

I think our home record is indicative of our prior poor pitching. I realize it is the same pitching on the road, but I'm guessing our offense plays better in smaller parks and helped offset some of our pitching woes.

I was disappointed too with the loss, but oh well... they used their best reliever, their starter had a great game, and we were playing off of a 4am flight home. I don't blame them for not being as sharp at the plate as they could have/should have been.

June 26th, 2007, 2:52 pm
Junior Varsity

conversion02 wrote:

Too bad he had that TERRIBLE throwing error to spark their surge. I really believe we would have won that game if it wasn't for that. Oh well... at least we got to throw our noobies a little...

Still in 1st place though...

:idea: Yep, we're still no. 1! Maybe it was sweep hangover, I don't know. They'll be fine.

Eldridge Cleaver

Go get 'em, TIGERS!!! :)

June 26th, 2007, 3:26 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]