View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Pistons draft 
RIP Killer

Post Pistons draft
The Stones took 3 big guards in the draft so what does everyone think?

#15 - Rodney Stuckey, Eastern Washington (6-5, 205)
#29 - Aaron Afflalo, UCLA (6-5, 215)
#57 - Sammy Mejia, DePaul (6-6, 195)

Heading up to the draft it looked like Stuckey could well be the pick at #15, but I saw forwards Julian Wright and Al Thornton slipping before getting snapped up at #13 & #14 respectively.

I didn't expect Nick Young to be on the board when the Pistons picked at 15 and I thought they might look at him. He was a stud at USC with good size (6-6) and a better shooter than Stuckey (Rodney more of a scorer).

I thought they might look at Splitter with their second pick or Byars who slipped all the way to 42 some how.

I really didn't know the players available at 57 but was suprised they went for yet another big guard. I don't follow the NBA draft that close, nothing like the NFL draft, so I'm relying more on what I've heard and read than by what I've seen here. I never did see Stuckey play and don't remember much about Afflalo. The Pistons seemed to pick guys right where they were ranked.

June 29th, 2007, 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I hate this draft. Stuckey reminds me of the kid Boston took a few years back, Kedrick or something. A phenom among lesser talent but not a pro at all. Nick Young would have been PERFECT. He is a total slasher. That's what we needed and Joe said we were after. I was dissappointed.

June 29th, 2007, 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I liked the Stuckey pick, even though it had to have been tough for Joe to pass on Nick Young. But they are comparing Stuckey to Dwyane Wade, so I really don't think the competition level he played against in college will matter. There are great NFL players drafted every year from small college programs. Also, Joe Dumars was from McNeese state, but he turned out pretty well.

I'm kind of confused w/ the Affalo(sp?) pick. He did go to UCLA, but never dominated in college. Joe did say that he liked his toughness and that he was a stingy defender and was a good shooter coming off screens. Sounds like our kind of player. May be a younger Rip.

Don't know anything about our 2nd round pick, but Joe obviously thought we needed some perimeter players.

Tim

July 3rd, 2007, 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]