View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 8:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Chauncy Opts Out... 
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Quote:
I don't see him doing ANYTHING spectacular and I think this team is good enough to be able to win with Murry or a rookie running the point.

i agree with you to a certain extent of chauncey playing poorly in the playoffs this year. but i completely disagree about the ease of replacing him. when chauncey has missed games and we had Murray/Blalock playing - we were terrible - which i think makes 2 points. #1 chauncey is probably the team MVP they win when he plays well and lose otherwise and #2 they are desperately in need of a capable backup - blalock and murray are not the answer and lindsey is no longer capable either...

July 5th, 2007, 9:53 pm

secondly, Grant Hill was without a question a true superstar in this league during his run with the pistons. if they had any semblance of a supporting cast the hill led pistons were going to do some damage - when they had allan houston they were on the verge of overtaking the jordan led bulls. afterwards hill was the only reason they made the playoffs.

July 5th, 2007, 9:57 pm

now that hill is gone what are people's thoughts? i dont really like the mo pete idea. i loved him in college but thought he was a soft player in college. also he seems more effective as a starter than as a bench player. i would rather make a play for charlie bell and establish him as the backup PG. he is similar to chauncey in that he has size, is a very good shooter but he is also dedicated on defense and doesnt turn the ball over much. he probably cannot penetrate the lane or beat his man off the dribble much but i think he would be a huge addition to this team with his reliable play.

with that being said im not sure where they are projecting stuckey to play? is he supposed to the backup PG or a change of pace to rip? im not sure. Johnson will be brought back but with his frame does he really project as a PF or more of a SF type. maybe he could learn as Prince's primary backup and a move for Peterson wouldnt be necessary.

July 5th, 2007, 10:07 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

now that hill is gone what are people's thoughts? i dont really like the mo pete idea. i loved him in college but thought he was a soft player in college. also he seems more effective as a starter than as a bench player. i would rather make a play for charlie bell and establish him as the backup PG. he is similar to chauncey in that he has size, is a very good shooter but he is also dedicated on defense and doesnt turn the ball over much. he probably cannot penetrate the lane or beat his man off the dribble much but i think he would be a huge addition to this team with his reliable play.

with that being said im not sure where they are projecting stuckey to play? is he supposed to the backup PG or a change of pace to rip? im not sure. Johnson will be brought back but with his frame does he really project as a PF or more of a SF type. maybe he could learn as Prince's primary backup and a move for Peterson wouldnt be necessary.

Interesting thoughts Legend. I actually like Bell and he would come cheap, but I believe that Joe drafted Stuckey as a combo guard and may have him backing up Chauncey as well as Rip. With that said, we would still need a pure PG on the roster w/ PG being his primary role. I'm not sure Will Blalock is the answer.

As for Amir Johnson, I never really considered his playing SF, and I doubt he will because of his size (he is 7'0). He is skinny, but can be a dominant PF or hybrid center if he bulks up. If so, we would stll need a competent backup for Prince, which is our biggest need, IMO.

Tim

July 6th, 2007, 9:06 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Well, wjb, the deal for Billups finally got finalized, and I think it is one we can all be happy with. The deal is for 5 years and $60.5 million. It averages $12.1 million a season and only 4 years and $48 million is guaranteed. The 5th year is a club option. Kudos to Joe for getting a fair deal done for both parties. This is a great deal, IMO.

Tim

July 7th, 2007, 2:17 pm
RIP Killer

July 9th, 2007, 3:35 pm
wjb,

I have always respected your opinion, but you are way off w/ your opinion of Chauncey. Chauncey has all the respect of being one of the best PG's in the league from all his peers. They respect his play, his leadership, his aggressiveness, and his overall game. He has been top 2 or 3 in assist to turnover ratio every year since he has been in Detroit, even w/ Carlisle at the helm, so that is not a fluke. He may not be quick, but he is stronger then any other PG i the league and because of that cannot be bodied up or posted up on defense and he has quick hands and good anticipation and knows where to be positioned on the floor defensively, which makes up for him not being as quick as other guards. He is a tremendous leader and everyone in the lockerroom respects him and his opinion. That is not to be overlooked. He is a clutch FT shooter and always is above 90% every season. That is no small thing. He gets everyone involved. It is no coincidence that our offense stalls when he isn't on the floor. He hits 40% of his 3 point attempts most years, which is a great percentage. He is not afraid to take the big shot, and most times will hit them. He is clutch.

You still feel this way TAD?

I said before we signed him that we should have let him go, and I'll stand buy it. Now we have an already aged PG signed for another three seasons at a rate that is WAY more than he is worth...

I hated this signing when we made it, and I still hate it today. Chauncy is part of the nonchalant "we can beat any team in the NBA, so we don't need to prove anything" crowd, and, IMO is a big part of the reason this team fails to step up in big games. The dood is old, over-paid, out-dated (the league has modified the rules since the days of him being effective), over-rated and should have never have been brought back.

This team CAN win with Chauncy, but not with Chauncy, Rip and Sheed... I think EITHER Rip AND Sheed have to go, or Chauncy has to go. Chauncy has proven that he needs something to prove or that he needs the team to have to have something to prove for him to be effective. He needs to feel that either 1) he is the underdog, or 2) that his team is the underdog to play with any sense of effeciency, urgency, or effectiveness. Rather than replace Sheed and Rip (esp. considering that most feel that Sheed has little trade value) I would rather dump Chauncy, even if it means handing the ball over to Stuckey.

June 1st, 2008, 2:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3