View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Detroit Not Poorly Represented in Summer Leauge 
Site Admin

Post Detroit Not Poorly Represented in Summer Leauge
(13th overrall scoring) R.Stuckey - 19 ppg 4 RPG 2.6 APG
(1 rebounding)Amir Johnson - 17 ppg 12 rpg 58% shooting 3 bpg
J.Maxiell - 15 ppg 5 rpg 53% shooting
Arron Affalo - 14.4 ppg 3.4 RPG

The only guy really on par overrall with Amir was LaMarcus Aldridge and he is 2 years older than Amir :wink:

July 15th, 2007, 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Well Alpha, in Alridge's defense, Amir only played 1 game because he didn't get his contract signed until the end of the summer league session. But I love Amir and I am looking forward to him and Stuckey having great seasons this year.

Tim

July 16th, 2007, 8:43 am
Site Admin

I wasn't slamming Aldridge...just excited to see that we were well represented with talented youth. With no big moves on the horizon we will have to have a couple guys step up and be at least big contributors as role players if not more. I wasn't happy with the Stuckey pick but I could be wrong.

The fact that San Antonio wanted to sign Amir Johnson is another great sign that he could turn out to be pretty darn good.

I also didn't realize till after I posted that Amir only had one game. But the fact that most guys start off slow in their first game is to me even more encouraging.

July 16th, 2007, 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I know you wasn't slamming Aldridge, Alpha. Sorry if it came out that way. But I agree, I'm excited about our younger guys for this coming season. I expect Amir, Maxiell, and Stuckey to all be contributors thruout next season. And depending on the moves we may still make, Maxiell could actually end up w/ a starting role this season. He deserves it, IMO.

Tim

July 16th, 2007, 1:08 pm
National Champion

Amir has potential, but he has to stay in games. Big guys that are skinny do not last long in six foul leagues.

Maxiell looked very good too, so I am not sure what our forward rotation will be.

I think we need to play Maxiell some at SF and Stuckey at PG in a three G offense. Stuckey is a finisher and if he can break down the defense off the dribble, Chauncey and Prince will get open looks which was our problem against Cleveland and Chicago.

July 17th, 2007, 9:55 am
Site Admin

I think the real difference will be that we have older big guys. We haven't brought people in and Webber may be gone. What that means is actually a real opportunity for some young folks to play. Tayshaun and Memo only got better when they played games. Darko who was fairly sought after as a FA has developed into a decent player and had he gotten any reasonable time as a Piston may have been that much better. I don't think the NBA is like the NFL where a QB can benefit from sitting. These guys need to experience the game otherwise they are losing time. They need to play. And if that means Joe makes his coaches require at least 5 minutes a game rotation for young fellas so be it. In the NBA it's trial by fire.

July 17th, 2007, 10:21 am
Profile WWW
I think the real difference will be that we have older big guys. We haven't brought people in and Webber may be gone. What that means is actually a real opportunity for some young folks to play. Tayshaun and Memo only got better when they played games. Darko who was fairly sought after as a FA has developed into a decent player and had he gotten any reasonable time as a Piston may have been that much better. I don't think the NBA is like the NFL where a QB can benefit from sitting. These guys need to experience the game otherwise they are losing time. They need to play. And if that means Joe makes his coaches require at least 5 minutes a game rotation for young fellas so be it. In the NBA it's trial by fire.

I don't know that I'd put some strict time limit on it, but I think Joe should open the coaches eyes a bit and "strongly suggest" certain situations that youngers should play into. 1) If we're up by more than 5 with 2-3 minutes left in a 1/2, play younger guys. Esp. in unimportant games or against weak competition. What's the worst that can happen? We go into the 2nd 1/2 down 5. Big deal, either the game won't mean anything or it will be against weak competition. Teach these young guys how to close out 1/4's and even games by allowing them to close out 1/2's. It would also give our older guys a longer 1/2 time break, and allow them to conserve energy. 2) Up more than 10 at any time in the 2nd 1/2 in unimportant games or against weak competition. When we play weak teams or unimportant games it seems our philosophy is to simply start one of our younger guys and rest one vet. Ok philosophy, but I don't like it. Persoally I think it is too much for someone that isn't ready to play consistently to come into a game without an established rythm, and without a lead and tell them "sink or swim." To me it seems more a trial by fire than a learning experience. I would rather keep up consistency and more or less always start the same 5 (unless someone is slumping, hurt, or one of our young guys REALLY comes on), and plug guys into situations more friendly to their success. I'm not saying yank them if they lose a lead, let them fight back, but put them into a game that already has a rythm, tempo, and momentum on our side to see what they can really do.

In any event, no matter our philosophy, I do agree that we need to get our younger guys more talent. Since this team started doing well we haven't developed ONE player. Maxiel looks strong, and Johnson looks promising, but so did Smoosh Parker and Darko... Both of the aforementioned left here and went on to be promising elsewhere... IMO we have replaced both of those guys with talent that isn't objectively better... A mistake IMO...

July 17th, 2007, 10:58 am
Stadium Announcer

IMO Flip shouldnt play the young guys to give them experience, but he should play them because they're good! I get pised when Max puts up 15 points and 8 rebounds one game, then the next game he only plays ten minutes. Flip would rather play the old guys 35 mpg than let our young guys get a chance. Even if the veterans are playing terribly, he keeps them in! That is so stupid! I hope Flip gets fired.

John 3:16

July 17th, 2007, 7:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
National Champion

Johnson and Stuckey highlights.

July 19th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Stadium Announcer

John 3:16

July 23rd, 2007, 3:13 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]