View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Ernie Sims 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I understand what you're saying, but I really don't think that having another player on the roster can break someone else from a careers worth of bad habits...

While I agree, I am missing your point. Whose Career? Sims? Hes still almost a "New" Players considering he changes defense almost every season. We have No idea how his "Real Career" will go once he is on a decent team with a stable defense that doesnt change yearly.

Otherwise, I still think that Quality Depth pushes "Weak" Starters to be better than they would be without the pressure. Change Career long bad habits... no. Make them try harder/work harder or at worst case, Replace them. with someone willing to play/work harder. Yes.

October 2nd, 2009, 4:02 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
QB Coach

While I don't really want to get rid of Sims, I had a thought. With the trade deadline coming up, is there any team in need of a LB that we could trade Sims to for a corner?

October 15th, 2009, 12:15 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I brought this up back on page 2, but the Lions can't trade Ernie Sims this year. They only have around $2M of cap space remaining and they would take a hit of exactly $3,162,353 if they were to trade him at the deadline.

October 15th, 2009, 12:24 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I brought this up back on page 2, but the Lions can't trade Ernie Sims this year. They only have around $2M of cap space remaining and they would take a hit of exactly $3,162,353 if they were to trade him at the deadline.

That, and Sims hasn't exactly been stellar this season and I'm sure his trade value isn't at its all time high either.

October 15th, 2009, 1:02 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

steensn wrote:
Jeremiah Trotter... I thought he was dead...

Did you mean Jake McCandles?

Not hardly.

October 15th, 2009, 3:45 pm

I'd trade Sims this off-season and start Levy in his place next season. Re-sign Foote and see if a re-structure can be figured out for Peterson, if not.. then find his replacement in the draft or FA.

But that's just me.

NEVER GIVE UP!

October 16th, 2009, 7:18 am

Tim Twentyman: Lions Insider
Ernie Sims might be expendable

Has Ernie Sims become expendable?

It's hard to believe the Lions' ninth overall selection in the 2006 Draft, who also started every game in his first three seasons, could possibly be replaceable.

Lions coach Jim Schwartz and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham claim the answer is no.

But the emergence of rookie linebacker DeAndre Levy might suggest yes.

"Competition never scared me away," Sims said. "I've been competing my whole life. When I see someone else doing well it doesn't scare me away. I'm a competitor and I'm going to keep playing and keep doing me."

Sims was expected to have a breakout fourth season with new veteran teammates (linebackers Larry Foote and Julian Peterson) and a new scheme

The results: Sims has just 15 tackles.

In his defense, Sims has battled through a painful shoulder injury suffered in the 27-13 loss to the Vikings in Week 2. The injury kept him out the following week, when the Lions recorded a 19-14 victory over the Redskins.

Levy has taken advantage of replacing Sims in the lineup, recording 29 tackles (fourth on the team, sixth among all NFL rookies), an interception and a forced fumble. Levy seems to have a better feel in pass coverage than Sims and has provided the big plays Sims hasn't.

It was Levy who stopped Redskins running back Clinton Portis on a fourth-and-goal from the Lions' 1 early in the game in which the Lions ended their 19-game losing streak.

"He's played very well at spots; he's also had the rookie inconsistencies," Schwartz said. "I think we'd be comfortable with him as a starter, particularly if he can keep moving forward."

Said Levy: "I came in with the mindset of preparing from day one to be the next guy in, regardless if I was a starter or not. If I wasn't a starter, prepare like a starter, so I can be the next guy in and contribute."

As has been mentioned before, I would have no problem with Levy replacing Sims in the starting line-up since he has clearly out-played him. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Sims getting traded in the off-season for a 3rd or 4th round pick (if that is even possible).

October 23rd, 2009, 9:42 am
1st Round Pick

Sims impresses with late barrage of tackles
BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Comments (11) Recommend Print E-mail Letter to the editor Share
Facebook Twitter Digg Del.icio.us Reddit Newsvine

The lasting image was the last one: linebacker Ernie Sims diving in vain as Rams running back Steven Jackson scored a 25-yard touchdown with 1:38 left Sunday, handing the Lions a 17-10 loss.

But Sims showed something to defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham earlier in the fourth quarter.
"Prior to the touchdown, there was a series of about five or six plays where I went, 'My God, he's finally come and figured it out,' " Cunningham said Wednesday. "And he knows it. I talked to him today. He felt really good about that."The Rams started a drive on their 22-yard line early in the fourth quarter. Sims made or shared the tackle on five of the first six plays -- including one that didn't count officially because of a penalty. Then quarterback Marc Bulger threw an incomplete pass on third down, and the Rams punted.
Sims, who declined to speak to reporters Wednesday, led the Lions in tackles for the first time this season, with seven.
"I said, 'Let's not look back anymore. You play like this the rest of the year,' " Cunningham said.
When the Lions drafted Sims ninth overall in 2006, former coach Rod Marinelli hoped Sims could fill the Derrick Brooks role in the Tampa Two defense. But after a promising start, Sims struggled with the rest of the team,especially last year.
When Jim Schwartz replaced Marinelli this year, Sims was supposed to improve because he could "play with his eyes" in the new system. In other words, he could be more instinctive and attack. But Sims' struggles have continued, partly because of a shoulder injury.
Cunningham said Sims hasn't been alone.
"This scheme thing is really baffling them all, including some of the coaches," Cunningham said. "And what people don't understand, when you're trying to build something like we are, there's a whole new philosophy in town, and there is for coaches who have never coached this thing. So it does take time. But day by day, I see it getting better, and today's practice was probably one of the better ones we've had mentally."
Sounds to me that Gunther was shocked that the light went on for ernie. I wish the rest of the defense would get it soon. Hopefully we can keep the same coach's here for awhile using the same schemes thats the only way to build. Stan kwan being the exception he needs to go

November 5th, 2009, 7:31 pm
Veteran General Manager

"This scheme thing is really baffling them all, including some of the coaches," Cunningham said. "And what people don't understand, when you're trying to build something like we are, there's a whole new philosophy in town, and there is four coaches who have never coached this thing.

Sounds to me that Gunther was shocked that the light went on for ernie. I wish the rest of the defense would get it soon. Hopefully we can keep the same coach's here for awhile using the same schemes thats the only way to build. Stan kwan being the exception he needs to go

Those 4 coaches that have never coached this thing. Holdovers from Marinelli's staff?

If Fisher gets the axe in Tennessee, how many from that staff find their way to Detroit? And which would you choose The ST coach from the Titans or the Bills if each staff gets fired?

November 6th, 2009, 2:25 am

Billy, the article didn't say "four". It said "for". I have no idea how many of them have never coached this system before though. As for the current defensive coaches, all of them are new except for Don Clemons. That guy has been here forever and nobody really knows what he does.

As for Sims, it's about damn time that he woke up and figured out what he was supposed to be doing.

November 6th, 2009, 11:38 am
League MVP

i agree that sims looked very good in the latter parts of that rams game - lets see if it was a fluke or not

November 6th, 2009, 8:38 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Lionman3 wrote:
"This scheme thing is really baffling them all, including some of the coaches," Cunningham said. "And what people don't understand, when you're trying to build something like we are, there's a whole new philosophy in town, and there is four coaches who have never coached this thing.

Those 4 coaches that have never coached this thing. Holdovers from Marinelli's staff?

If Fisher gets the axe in Tennessee, how many from that staff find their way to Detroit? And which would you choose The ST coach from the Titans or the Bills if each staff gets fired?

As far as ST goes probably Bills. They seem to have a good unit the last couple years

November 7th, 2009, 12:00 am

Ernie Sims-DeAndre Levy battle rages on for Lions' starting linebacker spot
By Tom Kowalski
November 06, 2009, 7:30PM
ALLEN PARK -- The battle for the starting right outside linebacker position continues to be heated for the Detroit Lions.

Former first-round pick Ernie Sims entered the season as the solid starter, but he has lost some playing time to rookie third-round choice DeAndre Levy. Sims, though, stepped up his performance late in last week's game against the St. Louis Rams.

"He made some really good plays, and I hadn't seen him do that stuff,'' Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said. "Ernie knows the scheme in the classroom and the walk-through situation and even in practice, but he's had some short circuits in the game where he didn't move fast enough because he didn't trust it.

"All of a sudden during the game -- and everybody on the staff saw it -- he made one play that was unbelievable. I hadn't seen him tackle that way at any time last year or this year, so I feel good for him. That was a good sign.

The Lions are expected to continue to rotate Sims and Levy on Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks, and playing time could be based on who has the hot hand.

"It's something that's been there since camp, everybody's competing,'' Levy said. "That's been happening since day one. We both just want what's best with the team.''

I have no problem if they decide to stick with whomever is playing the best that day. Hell, they should probably do that with most positions.

November 7th, 2009, 11:09 am

Mlive wrote:
Ernie Sims-DeAndre Levy battle rages on for Lions' starting linebacker spot
By Tom Kowalski
November 06, 2009, 7:30PM
ALLEN PARK -- The battle for the starting right outside linebacker position continues to be heated for the Detroit Lions.

Former first-round pick Ernie Sims entered the season as the solid starter, but he has lost some playing time to rookie third-round choice DeAndre Levy. Sims, though, stepped up his performance late in last week's game against the St. Louis Rams.

"He made some really good plays, and I hadn't seen him do that stuff,'' Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said. "Ernie knows the scheme in the classroom and the walk-through situation and even in practice, but he's had some short circuits in the game where he didn't move fast enough because he didn't trust it.

"All of a sudden during the game -- and everybody on the staff saw it -- he made one play that was unbelievable. I hadn't seen him tackle that way at any time last year or this year, so I feel good for him. That was a good sign.

The Lions are expected to continue to rotate Sims and Levy on Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks, and playing time could be based on who has the hot hand.

"It's something that's been there since camp, everybody's competing,'' Levy said. "That's been happening since day one. We both just want what's best with the team.''

I have no problem if they decide to stick with whomever is playing the best that day. Hell, they should probably do that with most positions.

Now that's what I want to hear! I am a BIG Levy fan, since he showed up in pre-season.. I really think this kid will be starting for us on a regular basis next season, if not before then. This competition between Sims & Levy is going to be fun to watch!

NEVER GIVE UP!

November 7th, 2009, 12:02 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Who's our starting sam line backer when Peterson is playing DE??

November 7th, 2009, 12:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next