View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 11:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Free agent/trade discussion 
Walk On

Post Free agent/trade discussion
With the lockout being all but lifted within the coming days, what magic do you expect Mayhew to do this offseason?

I give him two mid-tier free agents and one big trade. Justin Durant and Antonio Cromartie seem like probable signings, especially since we tried trading for Cromartie last year. As for trades...

Cardinals receive- QB Shaun Hill, 5th round pick
Lions receive- CB Dominique-Rogers Cromartie, 6th round pick

Seems realistic to me (probably only me :lol:)

What do YOU think is going to happen?

Receiving: 287 Yards : 10.6 YPR : 1 TD : 47.8 YPG
0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost
2 concussions

July 24th, 2011, 3:35 pm
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Free agent/trade discussion
no way do the cards give up cdr for anything less then a 1rd pick let alone a 6rder .and the lions would never give up hill not with staffords injury history.i see detroit signing tulloch because with the short offseason well no offseason and now the limited practice time he knows shwartz defence and would be able to step right in and as for the corner position i think they will go all out for joesph and as a backup plan in case joseph signs with someone else like the cromartie from the jets or richard marshall.i also see them maybe releasing johnson and picking up stallworth since he is so hot to play here. i also see them going after a reserve guard in case peterman gets hurt again.i could also see them trying to move our extra dt the kid from florida st to denver and a pick for either corner or linebacker help.denver is in desperate need of defensive tackles and has little cap space.i could also see the lions swinging a deal with the jets if they resign cromartie for dwight lowery.

July 24th, 2011, 4:14 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

I expect Mayhew to pursue mid-level UFA's only. Nothing expensive or high profile. Players that can improve the talent level and depth for the time being, while they continue to build the team through the draft. However, I would think it appropriate to attempt to sign Houston back. I will be shocked if they go after any of the big name corners on the market, and don't believe they will overpay for any of the FA OLB's that are available, although there are some intriguing outside backers.

July 24th, 2011, 6:43 pm
RIP Killer

I agree with allenslions that Arizona isn't going to give up DRC for a career backup QB and a low round pick. I don't think they trade DRC at all, for that matter, since Peterson hasn't proven anything in the NFL just yet.

I like the idea of signing Tulloch. It's going to be a matter of just how much money he'll want, tempered by how much he'd like to be playing for Schwartz again.

I don't see a need for a backup guard though. I think Donald Thomas could step in and play. I was under the impression the Lions really liked him.

With the shortened FA period, I think the Lions should make a solid offer to Chris Houston, since other teams may not be willing to give him what he's looking for. It's to his advantage to get into a camp where he knows the defense. But that's up to him. I'd also like to see the Lions make a run at Joseph or Marshall as well.

The Lions also need to make a long term deal with Avril to lower this seasons cap number for him, as well as to just get that out of the way.

As for the Lions getting rid of Andre Fluellen, I'm all for it. He's shown me nothing since he got here, and in my opinion was outplayed by Landon Cohen, whom the Lions should have kept over Andre. Fluellen going to Denver would be a possibility. San Diego may want some DE depth for their 34 defense, and sending him there could happen as well.

July 25th, 2011, 9:41 am
Junior Varsity

Earlier reports mentioned DRC being traded to the Eagles for Kolb and a late round pick...no way he would be traded for a craeer backup and a 6th rounder.

July 25th, 2011, 10:01 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I hate to break it to you guys, but unless something has been done to lessen the impact of NLTBE and other negative cap adjustments, the Lions won't have a lot of space to work with. I really can't see them being able to afford more than one big time signing. Sure, they'll add a few mid level players, but getting Tulloch, Joseph, Moss, etc. just isn't going to happen. Sorry.

July 25th, 2011, 12:38 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I expect the Lions to go after Antonio Cromartie. The logic here that they were rumored to have tried very hard to trade up to 5 in the draft to get Patrick Peterson.

Ike Taylor is on the radar too. He's made the comment that Pittsburgh is his home, but the Steelers are way over budget and drafted a couple cornerbacks this year. I don't think they can afford to keep him.

I'd just like to see them sign one really good player, as opposed to settling for a few average players. It's unfortunate they can't afford Asomugha. If they did land them, they'd have to do a deal like Washington did for Albert Haynesworthless.

July 25th, 2011, 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

slybri19 wrote:
I hate to break it to you guys, but unless something has been done to lessen the impact of NLTBE and other negative cap adjustments, the Lions won't have a lot of space to work with. I really can't see them being able to afford more than one big time signing. Sure, they'll add a few mid level players, but getting Tulloch, Joseph, Moss, etc. just isn't going to happen. Sorry.

I am kind of hoping that the Lions can open some cap space by renegotiating some deals with their veterans. I'm not saying it will happen, but would hope that they had approached some vets prior to the lockout about the possibility.

July 25th, 2011, 1:48 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Is it too early to sign Calvin to an extension? Get him bonuses that will pro-rate and reduce his cap number for the year? I'm not sure what his cap number is this year but that's who came to mind. Maybe there are other players with high cap numbers who could be extended? Cherilus? Backus?

July 25th, 2011, 2:00 pm

mwill2, I don't think anyone knows what CJ's cap number truly is since his contract is a mess. However, it's probably $10.475M with a negative cap adjustment of upto $1.5M for making the Pro Bowl. But, I don't think it would be in his best interest to sign an extension at this time, so it's unlikely. Next year, when his salary jumps to $15.6M would give him more leverage and he could use that to get a better deal.

IMO, the Lions' best bet to gain cap space would be to extend Backus. His cap charge is $6,723,178 for this year ($5.45M salary, $1M roster bonus, $50K workout bonus, and $223,178 proration). Let's say they give him a 3 year extension through 2014. Give him a $6M signing bonus with a $1M salary for this season and cancel out his roster and workout bonuses. He would get more actual money in his pocket this year, but his cap charge would lower to $2,723,178. That's a $4M savings right there.

July 25th, 2011, 3:28 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Ok I am really confused about what our actually cap and I am really start to question the 113.8 million one. I found an article by ESPN http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ap-figures written saying that our cap is 113.8 and that is the same number I heard ESPN use last week. Though I noticed the article is written on Feb. 7th. We cut Julian Peterson on March 3rd. Does this mean the number they using isn't reflecting us cutting him and is actually more then we are thinking?

So when will we find out what the actual number is?

Now I just found this article but I won't lie I don't understand what it means by doesn't include restricted free-agent tenders.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... theyre-not

July 25th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Trust me, the Lions don't have as much money as some people think they do. Suh's NLTBE or "log" bonus is gonna kill them. For comparison, Stafford's "log" bonus was $9.105M in 2009. I don't know what Suh got, but it ought to be close to that. In addition, Best probably got a "log" bonus of around $1M, and Suh and CJ each earned Pro Bowl incentives that could be worth up to $1.5M apiece. These are negative cap adjustments and wouldn't be released to the media until the first day of the new league year.

July 25th, 2011, 5:27 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Getting dribs and drabs about the new CBA, but the *real* kicker is the timeline. There will be NO grace period for teams to sign their own free agents. On top of that, all of the restricted FAs will be shopping services with the unrestricted FAs, and undrafted rookies, all starting at 10am Eastern Time on Tuesday, 7/26/11. Oh, and trades can start then as well.

It will be nuts. No player can officially sign until Friday at 6 p.m. ET, which means any contracts agreed to are sort of like high school kids committing to a college. I expect to see players "changing their minds" all of a sudden.

Nothing concrete that I've found (yet) that defines how the cap is determined. I am sort of hoping that the NFL grants all their teams a form of amnesty where 2010 - an uncapped year - all bonus and dead money has been tossed in there, and all teams start 2011 with current contract numbers.

EDIT: Plus, I can't *wait* for the FA signings to be announced starting at about 10:30am, with all parties involved saying with straight faces that there was **ZERO** contact between teams and agents during the lockout.

July 25th, 2011, 5:30 pm
Heisman Winner

Looks good to me. :arrow:

July 25th, 2011, 6:35 pm
Team MVP

hamma77 wrote:

Looks good to me. :arrow:

If you zoom in, you can see a price tag on there that is double digit millions lol.

Awesome though!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 25th, 2011, 7:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 356 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next