View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2017, 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Pursuing my love of football... 
RIP Killer

Post Pursuing my love of football...
Hi Fellas,

First, I want to apologize for the site issues - we have been been getting attacked by hackers, primarily it seems from China. I've had to upgrade our security measures and hopefully that helps.

Our host has also stopped supporting ASP, which is the language most of our main site was written in. That has caused issues with the site so the short term goal is to keep the forums up and running.

This has occurred at the same time I have decided to fully pursue my passion which is football. Actually, it isn't the American version (although I do love my Lions) - it is the game actually played with the foot. Both of my son's are playing, I started an academy program last year in Dallas and I've started coaching/training individual players.

Now I've taken a step further, I've left my business career to join the newly formed Professional Futsal League. Futsal is an indoor version of the game very popular in South America and Spain and starting to catch on at the youth levels here in the US. The league just launched and its leading investor is Donnie Nelson, GM of the Dallas Mavericks (who has dubbed me "Futsal Paul" - I was Employee #1). We are planning on fully launching in November of 2016. Right now I'm planning an international tournament in Dallas next month featuring the US, Mexico and FC Barcelona.

I'm really excited to pursue a career in sports and help launch a new sports league. I will have a lot less time to jump on the site the next few months, but will do my best (with Wags and Alphas help) to keep the forum up and running. I appreciate all your patience and the on-line friendships that we all have built since Lionbacker's launch in 2004.

Again, thanks for all your patience and the friendships that now span 10+ years!
Paul aka Pablo aka Futsal Paul

BTW - if interested you can learn more about the new league at http://www.professionalfutsal.com

February 6th, 2015, 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Off. Coordinator – Joe Lombardi

Post Re: Pursuing my love of football...
It's called soccer ya Limey Nancy SOB, this is MURIKA! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to ya, I hope thing go well for you and (I'm assuming) the kids!

February 7th, 2015, 12:09 pm
RIP Killer

Wow! Awesome Paul! Hope your adventure goes well. A big move in your life and I pray things work out well for you.

February 9th, 2015, 12:02 am
Modmin Dude

Congrats Pablo and good luck!

February 9th, 2015, 8:55 am
RIP Killer

So a year has passed in my new pursuit, been a really fun year and very cool to see a new league from the inception to 12 months later. Here is an article that gives some updates on the league a new owners...

Dallas Morning News wrote:
Source: Mark Cuban isn't the only big-name investor in futsal; other NBA owners, prestigious soccer clubs have joined in

Last week's announcement that Mark Cuban had become a principal owner of a new North American league for a sport called "futsal" heightened buzz about the venture.

As in, "Maybe this league is going to be a bigger deal than many imagined."

Indeed, a source told The Dallas Morning News on Monday that the 16-team Professional Futsal League franchisees include "multiple" NBA owners and some of the world's most prestigious soccer clubs.

In other words, it will be a marriage of soccer and basketball, which is how many describe Futsal, which is five-per-side indoor soccer, the only one sanctioned by FIFA.

The NBA owners include Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov and the Buss family, which owns the Los Angeles Lakers.

World-power soccer clubs that have committed to full or partial franchise stakes include FC Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Boca Juniors of Argentina and Corinthians of Brazil.

And though futsal is played in 198 of the 207 FIFA member associations around the world, the Professional Futsal League is being planned as the world's most preeminent, with the top players being funneled here and receiving the sport's highest salaries.

Although the league doesn't plan to begin play until 2017, early details of its proposed structure emerged Monday evening because representatives from the 16 franchises and officials from soccer clubs in Europe, South America and China are scheduled to meet Tuesday and Wednesday in Dallas.

Why Dallas? It was in North Texas where plans for the league began to hatch during the spring of 2014, with Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson and sports entrepreneur Brian Dick ultimately becoming principal league owners (joined Feb. 3 by Cuban) and Nelson's daughter, Christie, becoming executive director.

Along with Dallas, cities that will have franchises include New York, Los Angeles, Seattle/Vancouver, Boston, Chicago, Miami and Orlando.

Donnie Nelson did not immediately respond to messages Monday evening seeking comment.

During the next two days, PFL organizers are expected to decide such details as roster sizes and the salary cap. Among details that emerged Monday:

-- New York will have two teams. One will be owned outright by FC Barcelona; the other by Prokhorov, although the Nets owner probably will form a partnership with a world-power soccer organization.

-- FC Barcelona has two teams in Spanish futsal leagues, an indicator of how futsal is regarded as an effective training ground for top-level international players.

-- The PFL season will consist of about 50 games. The season's start and end dates probably will be largely determined by TV networks.

-- FC Barcelona, Chelsea and Bayern Munich have or are in the process of establishing offices in New York, a sign of their eagerness to tap into the North American market and strengthen.

-- Every PFL team will be either owned by or in partnership with a powerhouse soccer club outside of North America.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/ ... ubs-joined

We just wrapped up our first ownership meeting today and it's been so crazy, I find myself riding to the American Airlines Center in a Hummer Limo sitting with Jerry Buss (our LA owner), very down to earth guy. Eating dinner with guys from FC Barcelona. Next I'm in Cuban's (my new bosses) personal suite (basically a man cave next to the locker room) exchanging jokes with Pudge Rodriguez (our Miami owner) who surprisingly is shorter than me and one of the nicest jocks I've ever meet.

What a crazy ride so far, I hope everyone one day gets to follow their passion...

February 10th, 2016, 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo, best of luck on your new venture and life phase (I guess that's the best way to put it). Here's to hoping that everything works out for you and the new league better than you could have hoped.

February 13th, 2016, 2:54 pm
Varsity Captain

Pablo wrote:
So a year has passed in my new pursuit, been a really fun year and very cool to see a new league from the inception to 12 months later. Here is an article that gives some updates on the league a new owners...

Dallas Morning News wrote:
Source: Mark Cuban isn't the only big-name investor in futsal; other NBA owners, prestigious soccer clubs have joined in

Last week's announcement that Mark Cuban had become a principal owner of a new North American league for a sport called "futsal" heightened buzz about the venture.

As in, "Maybe this league is going to be a bigger deal than many imagined."

Indeed, a source told The Dallas Morning News on Monday that the 16-team Professional Futsal League franchisees include "multiple" NBA owners and some of the world's most prestigious soccer clubs.

In other words, it will be a marriage of soccer and basketball, which is how many describe Futsal, which is five-per-side indoor soccer, the only one sanctioned by FIFA.

The NBA owners include Brooklyn Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov and the Buss family, which owns the Los Angeles Lakers.

World-power soccer clubs that have committed to full or partial franchise stakes include FC Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Boca Juniors of Argentina and Corinthians of Brazil.

And though futsal is played in 198 of the 207 FIFA member associations around the world, the Professional Futsal League is being planned as the world's most preeminent, with the top players being funneled here and receiving the sport's highest salaries.

Although the league doesn't plan to begin play until 2017, early details of its proposed structure emerged Monday evening because representatives from the 16 franchises and officials from soccer clubs in Europe, South America and China are scheduled to meet Tuesday and Wednesday in Dallas.

Why Dallas? It was in North Texas where plans for the league began to hatch during the spring of 2014, with Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson and sports entrepreneur Brian Dick ultimately becoming principal league owners (joined Feb. 3 by Cuban) and Nelson's daughter, Christie, becoming executive director.

Along with Dallas, cities that will have franchises include New York, Los Angeles, Seattle/Vancouver, Boston, Chicago, Miami and Orlando.

Donnie Nelson did not immediately respond to messages Monday evening seeking comment.

During the next two days, PFL organizers are expected to decide such details as roster sizes and the salary cap. Among details that emerged Monday:

-- New York will have two teams. One will be owned outright by FC Barcelona; the other by Prokhorov, although the Nets owner probably will form a partnership with a world-power soccer organization.

-- FC Barcelona has two teams in Spanish futsal leagues, an indicator of how futsal is regarded as an effective training ground for top-level international players.

-- The PFL season will consist of about 50 games. The season's start and end dates probably will be largely determined by TV networks.

-- FC Barcelona, Chelsea and Bayern Munich have or are in the process of establishing offices in New York, a sign of their eagerness to tap into the North American market and strengthen.

-- Every PFL team will be either owned by or in partnership with a powerhouse soccer club outside of North America.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/ ... ubs-joined

We just wrapped up our first ownership meeting today and it's been so crazy, I find myself riding to the American Airlines Center in a Hummer Limo sitting with Jerry Buss (our LA owner), very down to earth guy. Eating dinner with guys from FC Barcelona. Next I'm in Cuban's (my new bosses) personal suite (basically a man cave next to the locker room) exchanging jokes with Pudge Rodriguez (our Miami owner) who surprisingly is shorter than me and one of the nicest jocks I've ever meet.

What a crazy ride so far, I hope everyone one day gets to follow their passion...

?The Pizza Hut Guy??

February 14th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]