View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 18th, 2018, 1:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Draft Day Thread - Round 1 
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: Draft Day Thread - Round 1
rao wrote:
liontrax wrote:
rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
Well.

He's is on my list, but I didn't think he was a round 1 guy. Let's hope he's as good as they think.

Looks like another year of not getting a high caliber back. Hoping you get lucky late is not a real strategy in my mind.

There are still RBs left on the board like Guice, Chubb, and Jones. Not sure how you can say they are not getting a high caliber back after just the 1st round. I'm hoping Nick Chubb falls to the 3rd, so they can get a top defensive player in the 2nd or if he falls far enough I would love to see Guice in the 2nd.

As for the backs, I won't be surprised if we don't take one on day two. Still alot of good defensive talent left, and if we're gonna be RB by committee no need to take one early. Day three?

I agree. It wouldn't surprise me if the Lions pass on RBs again this year. I was just saying it's a little early to say they are not getting a high caliber back. It is still a possibility this early in the draft. I wonder if Guice is falling like Landry due to medical. The pats took Michel over him and maybe even if he falls to the Lions they still pass.

There are plenty of other RB's that aren't household names that can be effective NFL backs. Every year you hear about some obscure RB that most teams dismissed at the draft or UFA, that's getting it done in the NFL, so a late round pick could be in the cards. As much as I'd like the Lions to take a dynamic back with our 2nd pick, it seems that our D needs it more.

April 27th, 2018, 11:30 am
Mr. Irrelevant

rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
Well.

He's is on my list, but I didn't think he was a round 1 guy. Let's hope he's as good as they think.

Looks like another year of not getting a high caliber back. Hoping you get lucky late is not a real strategy in my mind.

There are still RBs left on the board like Guice, Chubb, and Jones. Not sure how you can say they are not getting a high caliber back after just the 1st round. I'm hoping Nick Chubb falls to the 3rd, so they can get a top defensive player in the 2nd or if he falls far enough I would love to see Guice in the 2nd.

My speculation is that the guys I would like them to draft will be gone by pick 51. I hope one of them is there, and I hope they don't pass on him again. There will be names available in the next couple of rounds, but it will become hit or miss the deeper you go. (Like any draft pick) This year my belief is that the Lions need a starter ar RB.

I don't endorse the notion that they are fine at that position. Give me 2 new ones and I'd be happy.

April 27th, 2018, 11:35 am
Rookie Player of the Year

jrd66 wrote:
rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
Well.

My speculation is that the guys I would like them to draft will be gone by pick 51. I hope one of them is there, and I hope they don't pass on him again. There will be names available in the next couple of rounds, but it will become hit or miss the deeper you go. (Like any draft pick) This year my belief is that the Lions need a starter ar RB.

I don't endorse the notion that they are fine at that position. Give me 2 new ones and I'd be happy.

Chubb is really the only back I would like that I believe has a chance to fall to the Lions. I don't think Guice falls and while I think the Lions should take him, I find his health increasingly concerning the farther he falls. The idea of drafting 2 RBs is a nightmare scenario. It would be a waste of resources and lead to you taking a crap trade to move AA/Riddick or cut one to make room for multiple rookies. With the addition of Blount they do not need more than one new back.

April 27th, 2018, 11:52 am
Mr. Irrelevant

rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
Well.

Chubb is really the only back I would like that I believe has a chance to fall to the Lions. I don't think Guice falls and while I think the Lions should take him, I find his health increasingly concerning the farther he falls. The idea of drafting 2 RBs is a nightmare scenario. It would be a waste of resources and lead to you taking a crap trade to move AA/Riddick ocut one to make room for multiple rookies. With the addition of Blount they do not need more than one new bac

The second one in my mind would be a last rd or FA guy. You make
a fair point about Blount. I wasn’t thinking of him at that moment. One more with high talent would do the Job.

April 27th, 2018, 2:21 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

What puzzles me is that Quinn has openly admitted there were offers on the table for the No 20 pick when they were on the clock. He left a lot of needs on the roster with a weak free agency period and badly needed the extra picks. The Lions did start a run on OL and Ragnow wouldnt still be there after another few picks but look at what the Packers did. They ended up moving back 4 picks and still filled a need and added a 2019 first round pick in the process. They signed Wilkerson for cheap and also picked up Graham. We cut Ebron to have rollover cap space that we will never use bc Quinn thought his salary was $1m too high? I dont see how we re getting ahead here even though I see it as a solid draft pick. Also Im confused that they are saying Ragnow will probably be at guard with Glasgow at center. Just makes me really question what they are thinking, there s good depth at guard in this draft. They could have traded back, picked up picks and still got a starting caliber guard or a center. Just doesnt look like to me that this GM is doing anything but making safe picks. Quinn doesnt seem creative enough and is overrating the talent on his team (a classic mistake) and then putting almost unfair weight on the effects of coaching.

As for RB, Quinn almost has to take a RB. If he doesnt its a major failure on his part not taking the opportunity to get extra picks and forcing an early pick at a position of depth. Then again Quinn also needs to get the team better edge rushers, LBers, interior dlineman and a TE worth anything and not making the trade back is just one more spot that will be left weak for another season.

I think Guice is falling bc of the supposed lying about what teams asked him during the interview portions of the combine rather than medicals. If the Lions get him and the line stays healthy they might have a chance to have a really special offense this season. Of course the defense still has some major holes but maybe thinks Patricia will be able to coach it up.

April 27th, 2018, 6:22 pm
3rd Round Selection

Like everyone else I was somewhat shocked with the first pick. Not disappointed, just surprised.

I like it.

Every single play begins at the line of scrimmage and the teams that control the line of scrimmage the best generally win. Think about it, which line was worse last year, offense or defense? I would argue the offensive line. There were a ton of different O-line combinations. I think I read 95 of them. Unlike D-line, barring injury the same five offensive linemen play every single snap. Defensive linemen rotate all the time.

Another thing is that Quinn mentioned in his presser that the quality of the defensive linemen dropped off dramatically after the top ones were picked ahead of the Lions. Notice that after the brief run on DL in the first round teams shifted to other positions.

Lastly, I have learned not to get too caught up in who was picked or what position was picked and in what round. If the player doesn't pan out you'll end up hating the pick and if he does you will tend to forget that you hated it at the time.

April 29th, 2018, 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2