View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2018, 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Preseason Game 1: @ Raiders. 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Preseason Game 1: @ Raiders.
Let’s just say that I was less than impressed. The Offensive running game looks better. But, after 7 beers, Rosie O’Donell will even start to look better. <——- JOKE.

It was odd not seeing Stafford take even 1 snap. I know he doesn’t really need the work in this early pre season game.

Our run Defense looks weak. Their no name RBs were gashing is. And if not for penalties, this would have been far uglier than it was.

Our pass defense looks like the strength of the defense.

It has become very apparent why Green Bay let Lang walk as a free agent. He gave up the first sack of the season on the very first pass attempt of the season. I predict right now, that our 2019 1st round draft pick will be a RG.

Funny how Abdullah is finally looking like a RB. Except he did a pathetic job of blocking the Safety that about destroyed Matt Cassell. He still has a ways to go before he is a complete RB. He should be used only in specific packages, and never on obvious passing downs.

I noticed that Tate got his shins banged up at he the end of his first catch. So, he gets to start the season with painful shins.

I seen all I needed to see in the first half, so, I didn’t even watch the second half since it was so late already.

All in all, it was just pre season game 1. Hopefully, they fix the issues that showed up and get better and better each week..

August 11th, 2018, 12:46 pm
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: Preseason Game 1: @ Raiders.
Preseason Game 1, so I don't expect to see much that matters. But I sure hope the back-up QB play improves.

August 11th, 2018, 4:09 pm
Team MVP

If Stafford goes down we're fudge. It's always been the case and I'm glad the rooting for the backup QB years are far gone.

The running game will be better. It couldn't get worse. Johnson averaged 4.9 ypc, and that's not including the 57-yard run that got called back. He also added 33 yards receiving, so as long as he isn't expected to carry the load, he has a chance at a making a difference here.

I wasn't expecting the defense to look stellar right away. It's not the same system and unlike the offense, what you're looking at defensively is what play/scheme was called and how did the players execute as opposed to strictly results. We got zero push from DT's early on, so pash rushing looking better is a bigger plus than it appears. The run D looking bad means they'll work on it this week and we'll see if that's the defensive focus next game.

August 11th, 2018, 6:29 pm
NFL Team Captain

BillySims wrote:
Let’s just say that I was less than impressed. The Offensive running game looks better. But, after 7 beers, Rosie O’Donell will even start to look better. <——- JOKE.

It was odd not seeing Stafford take even 1 snap. I know he doesn’t really need the work in this early pre season game.

Our run Defense looks weak. Their no name RBs were gashing is. And if not for penalties, this would have been far uglier than it was.

It has become very apparent why Green Bay let Lang walk as a free agent. He gave up the first sack of the season on the very first pass attempt of the season. I predict right now, that our 2019 1st round draft pick will be a RG.

Funny how Abdullah is finally looking like a RB. Except he did a pathetic job of blocking the Safety that about destroyed Matt Cassell. He still has a ways to go before he is a complete RB. He should be used only in specific packages, and never on obvious passing downs.

I noticed that Tate got his shins banged up at he the end of his first catch. So, he gets to start the season with painful shins.

I seen all I needed to see in the first half, so, I didn’t even watch the second half since it was so late already.

All in all, it was just pre season game 1. Hopefully, they fix the issues that showed up and get better and better each week..

Lang didn't play Billy. Believe it was the rookie Crosby or Dahl.

August 11th, 2018, 10:32 pm
RIP Killer

It was Crosby. He was terrible. Also, Davis looked awful in run defense. For someone who never wanted to leave practice, we know why. He somehow regressed from last year. Very, very bad.

August 11th, 2018, 10:56 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

I thought the whole team looked pretty bad. It was an uninspiring game and the intensity didnt seem to be there. Especially for a team trying to prove itself for a new head coach. Then again, its the preseason and its usually pretty much meaningless. What was more concerning was the management of the game by the officials felt like most of the game was watching the refs huddle up.

QBs- thought they both looked pretty bad. Not sure either is a quality backup.

RBs - Kerryon looked at minimum servicable. Would like to see him more with and against the "1s" but he looks slippery with quick subtle moves in short space that keep his momentum moving forward. I could definitely see him being the bell cow back in the middle parts of the season. Blount in short yardage and one of Riddick or Abdullah is expendable.

FB - I think we should look for other options outside of Bellore as a FB. Just seems like a waste of a roster spot though at least he can play special teams.

WR - TJ Jones looks locked in as the 4th WR. If there s a 5th might be bw Billingsley and Powell if they re looking for someone to contribute. Powell looked like he has some quickness but made a circus catch out of a pretty easy uncontested play.

TE - Got a glimpse of Valles who made a couple catches and Marcus Lucas did well in 2 minute drill but not sure anything that exciting to boost this weak spot on the roster.

OL - As others mentioned Lang did not play. Glasgow was the one you guys are talking about. Ragnow looked good but I still wonder why he s at guard and not center. Crosby has poor side to side movements, Dahl had an up and down game, Wesley Johnson looked like he was on roller skates. Need to keep that top group healthy. All this talk about depth and the Lions appear to still really have none on that OL.

DL - Really didnt get much out of them although AShawn did some nice things inside. Zettel looked okay, dont have much nice to say about anyone else that played in these spots. Quinn didnt help this group in the offseason so a lot rides on Ansah's health, Hyder s recovery and competition at the DT depth spots.

LB - Davis looked like he always has which in my eyes is mostly lost. He overcommits to where the play is initially going and likes to fight head on with offensive lineman which he usually loses. He runs fast and looks strong and Im sure knows all the calls but his play isnt good football. Jones looked like the subpar defender he was on the Bears easily getting hook block on the edge by a TE. Kennard doesnt look like a dynamic passrushing hybrid. They might be better suited using in more of a traditional SLB type role. Reeves Maybin to me looks like the only LB with good instincts. Everyone else "reacts." IMO a very weak group.

CB/S - I thought they looked okay. Milligan didnt do himself any favors but the Lions appear really deep here. Curious to see what position they find for Diggs or they end up trading him. Looks like they are trying to involve Agnew in the defense more which is fine but I feel like he should still be in the return game.

August 12th, 2018, 9:25 am
Martha Firestone Ford

liontrax wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Lang didn't play Billy. Believe it was the rookie Crosby or Dahl.

Yeah. I found that out yesterday. I just seen the defensive player that got the sack blow right over the RG, and assumed it was Lang given it was our first offensive series.

August 13th, 2018, 2:42 am
Rookie Player of the Year

It looks like Abdullah is finally back from his ankle injury. His cutting ability wasn't quite there last season, but in this game he had that really sharp stop and go back. If they weren't playing on that crap raiders baseball field he probably looks even better.

August 13th, 2018, 10:44 am
Martha Firestone Ford

rao wrote:
It looks like Abdullah is finally back from his ankle injury. His cutting ability wasn't quite there last season, but in this game he had that really sharp stop and go back. If they weren't playing on that crap raiders baseball field he probably looks even better.

Isn’t it amazing what a little legitimate competition can do for a guy?

August 13th, 2018, 4:38 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:

Or recovery time...

The Lions were pretty much unwatchable for the game - horrible.

August 13th, 2018, 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:

Or recovery time...

The Lions were pretty much unwatchable for the game - horrible.

Gotta agree with Pablo. IMO it's more the recovery time than competition that's got AA looking good this preseason so far. I said ankle in the previous post but I should have said foot. He was coming back from the worst type of foot injury you can get as a RB and his running style was significantly impaired because of it. If his foot can continue to hold up he's going to be a big weapon on offense and special teams.

August 14th, 2018, 9:17 am
Junior Varsity

I was profoundly disappointed. I know it is the first preseason game, but I expected to see some kind of improvement in our running game, given all the talk about it in the off season. Our line got pushed around and we couldn't really establish anything on the ground, specifically early. Johnson ran well against the 2's and 3's later, but show me how it goes against the 1's with that crappy Oline. Gosh dang, why can't this freaking team ever get any better?

August 14th, 2018, 9:29 pm
RIP Killer

DD - that’s not a fair assessment. Many of our 1s on OL didn’t play or barely played. We didnt get much of a sample size.

August 15th, 2018, 8:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]