View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2019, 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions hire Darrell Bevell to be OC. 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Lions hire Darrell Bevell to be OC.
Gotta say this was a choice from out of left field.

January 16th, 2019, 5:40 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Lions hire Darrell Bevell to be OC.
Bevell never crossed my mind as a choice for anyone in the NFL, forgot the guy even existed.

I'm a bit disappointed they are sticking with a West Coast offense, but nice to see a guy that has very good recent experience in the NFL. His offenses were very efficient and did a lot with really just a Star QB and RB, sometimes he didn't even have the star RB.

January 16th, 2019, 5:57 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

I think its a good hire in the sense that he has a lot of experience and brings an outside perspective to the organization whereas most of the others have some kind of Patriots or other connection to Patricia. Cooter was inexperienced but was at his best when his head coach was experienced and known for offense, able to help him out. Patricia was not that for Cooter and seemingly made things worse. Bevell should be able to hold his own and has the resume where Patricia might be less inclined to interfere or at least compromise more with game plans and adjustments. Lions could have done worse here - for example promoting Godsey or grabbing another inexperienced Patriot coach. I hope we see a couple more upgrades to the coaching staff to follow.

January 16th, 2019, 7:09 pm
RIP Killer

from Twentyman's 5 things...

Quote:
Bevell’s offenses have finished in the top 10 in rushing percentage eight times in his 12 years as an OC. That’s important because running the football efficiently and being balanced on offense is an important part of head coach Matt Patricia’s coaching philosophy.

Quote:
The two quarterbacks Bevell is best known for working with are Brett Favre and Russell Wilson. Both enjoyed career seasons under Bevell.

Quote:
In eight of Bevell’s 12 years as a coordinator, he’s led a top 15 scoring offense. Five times he’s led a top five scoring offense.

Quote:
Bevell spent five seasons as the Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator from 2006-10. His best year in Minnesota came in 2009 with Favre. The Vikings were second in scoring that season and fifth in total offense.

January 16th, 2019, 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

The Legend wrote:
I think its a good hire in the sense that he has a lot of experience and brings an outside perspective to the organization whereas most of the others have some kind of Patriots or other connection to Patricia. Cooter was inexperienced but was at his best when his head coach was experienced and known for offense, able to help him out. Patricia was not that for Cooter and seemingly made things worse. Bevell should be able to hold his own and has the resume where Patricia might be less inclined to interfere or at least compromise more with game plans and adjustments. Lions could have done worse here - for example promoting Godsey or grabbing another inexperienced Patriot coach. I hope we see a couple more upgrades to the coaching staff to follow.

Agree.

January 16th, 2019, 8:04 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Not sure about this one. Especially having watched the Seahawks go out of the playoffs because of a rigid insistance on running the ball, even when it wasn't working and when throwing was going well for them.

Feels like we've hired the ghost of NFL past, whilst the rest of the league is looking to the future.

January 17th, 2019, 8:25 am
Player of the Year - Offense

I thought he was an option and even liked him as a HC for us a few years back. I think it's a good hire in the sense that he'll run (pun intended) the kind of offense Patricia wants.

"Good teams don't worry about a whole lot of stuff. They travel, they play, they win. And it doesn't matter where they go, what the time block is, all those kinds of things. They never seem to bother teams that play well, and we want to be one of those teams." -Jim Caldwell

January 17th, 2019, 4:56 pm
Team MVP

UK Lion wrote:
Not sure about this one. Especially having watched the Seahawks go out of the playoffs because of a rigid insistance on running the ball, even when it wasn't working and when throwing was going well for them.

Feels like we've hired the ghost of NFL past, whilst the rest of the league is looking to the future.

Bevell didn't coach the Seahawks this season. His last season was 2017. Their exit this year was on Carrol and the new OC. They did the exact opposite under Bevell and actually lost the SB to Pats because they threw the ball instead of running it. His offenses were balanced but running was more effective during his tenure because of Lynch. Those seasons, the pass worked well because the run game was even more effective.

He's been successful but the important part to me, is he sat out this season and could reflect as well as watch what offenses/defenses were doing. If you listen to Slay, he said it was a tough adjustment to Patricia's style, but he's bought in. While the defense struggled (Ansah's injuries/contract hamstrung the passrush and CB2 was always a weakness) you could see that they played hard the entire game. That was the culture change that needed to happen. You can debate the personnel choices made by Quinn, but for Patricia, he made the changes necessary that don't always reflect on the field in the first season. Bevell gives Patricia someone that he can give complete control of the offense over to because of the experience and allow him to grow as an overall coach. JBC could never give him that.

Everyone talks about the failures of Patriot assistants as coaches but you have to understand why. Patricia made the same mistake as others, and chose guys that they were close to/familiar with so that the atmosphere was solid. While that sounds great, it doesn't force growth. He chose continuity with JBC and he recognized the mistake, but didn't throw him under the bus for the offense. I think its key that he chose someone that has much more experience on the offensive side of the ball and didn't follow the trend of "must be a friend of Sean McVay" that you see around the league. And he did more with less. They lost Golden Tate (to us) and their offense didn't lose a step. Goliday and Jones have more talent than Seattle ever had. The difference wasn't actually a WR3 as a mainstay, it was Lockett as a PR/KR who could provide a spark at WR3 in situations.

As for the rest of league looking to future.. the last 4 remaining teams were the top 4 offenses. But they won in the playoffs by running the ball down the throats of their opponents. Even the "future" offensive geniuses went back to the tried and true. The true innovations have come on defense. SD running 8dbs instead of LBs to go against the strong run teams. That obviously didn't work against the Pats, but they didn't change the tactic against the Pats. That's where I think Patricia's mentality of defense and running different sets against different teams gives a brighter future defensively for the team. For the offense, Bevell adjusted the standard WC offense for Wilson, but Stafford is more similar to Farve in style and arm strength. Because of the experience of both different styles
of QBs, Bevell is better to fix the OL issues than the rest of the coordinators that the media was linking us to. The ability to have success with both Wilson and Farve, who are completely different types to develop protection schemes for, it give some faith he'll be able to do it here.

January 17th, 2019, 5:25 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

NJ - a lot of Kool Aid in your post and that is the optimistic view of the Lions situation and Patricia's philosophy. I sure hope thats it accurate but am afraid its not realistic. From the outside, the Lions under Patricia are being viewed as a disorganized disaster. I think Bevell was a good hire and he s probably the best coach in the building but it appears the Lions were turned down by multiple other choices first. Will Patricia let him coach is the key question or will he do the same thing he did to JBC? Ricky Jean Francois at seasons end said the team didnt buy in - he s practically hand selected by Patricia as the veteran leader. Im not sure the groundwork has been laid yet bc the Lions will spend this offseason swapping out close to 50% of the roster. Patricia didnt exactly show that he could get anyone to buy in quickly last year and the continuity wont be there with that kind of roster turnover. If this past season and the OC search is any indication of whats to come the Lions will have a hard time getting there first choice of FA players. Players talk and probably not many that will want to play for Patricia if given a similiar opportunity elsewhere.

January 20th, 2019, 10:28 am
Team MVP

Francois week 16 - “You want to change the culture, change the people. I’m not finger-pointing on who needs to change or who needs to go somewhere. But if you want a different regime, you want a different buy-in or something like that, the only way you get a different culture is you change the people that sit in it.”

Slay after season - “It was our first year with Coach Patricia and we had to adjust to his coaching style, but they definitely hired the right guy to take us above and beyond,” Slay wrote. “We had some great wins this year, as we took down New England, Green Bay twice, and Carolina. We know how we can build on those type of wins to have more of them next season.”

Yes, people struggled with the tougher coaching style as opposed to the soft, passive style Caldwell had. That was reported all year. And every year this team has swapped out the majority of the roster. The difference now is they're no longer hamstrung with more bad contracts than is manageable, so for the first time in decades, we're on more even footing with the rest of the league. We got players to sign after 0-16, so if you think a bad season after beating NE, GB and Carolina is going to prevent players in a league with limited spots available to sign, what's the opposite of kool aid? Money talks and for the first time in awhile, we're sitting on an abundance of it. That's as realistic as it gets.

And even if i'm being optimistic, Bevell was the best choice. You could say his Minnesota teams were loaded with talent, but Seattle? They got ridiculed by pundits for their draft choices. Every year, with no names at key positions, they were in the top10 in EVERY category offensively. Same with same system in Minnesota. That's a track record of success with whatever talent was available. IF you want to believe the media's predictions (based on fan comments or their own interests) on who we didn't hire, that's on you. I know the drama necessary by the media enough to not put any importance on what or who they were reporting on in the offseason. And what did all of those reporters say afterward...they weren't even thinking about him because he was out of the league. They don't have inside info, they're guessing. They guessed wrong. NE doesn't even let the media know injuries until last minute, and now NE guys are in Detroit and you expect them to leak the entire wishlist to the press? The press are trying to sell papers. That is more important than truth to them.

Am I hopeful because we have a coordinator that can put a productive offense on the field regardless of the players? Sure.
Am I hopeful because we have a coach that focused on conditioning regardless of player pushback that eventually led to players playing hard all season even when they were out of games or the playoffs? Sure.
Am I sure the Lions will disappoint me well into the future? Absolutely.

January 20th, 2019, 1:19 pm
3rd Round Selection

The Legend wrote:
NJ - a lot of Kool Aid in your post and that is the optimistic view of the Lions situation and Patricia's philosophy. I sure hope thats it accurate but am afraid its not realistic. From the outside, the Lions under Patricia are being viewed as a disorganized disaster.

I disagree. The Lions are being portrayed as a disorganized disaster. I'm sorry, but the media has been against Patricia from the moment he was hired.

The Lions claim they didn't know about the allegation of sexual assault that was made more than 20 years ago. Article after article went on about the allegation and the fact that the Lions 'somehow' didn't know about it and only one article that I read actually bothered to mention that most private company background checks only go back 20 years. Nor did the media give a damn that it was only ever an allegation that was unsupported and unpursued. The News and Free Press pinned an article about the allegation to their online sports page for weeks! Even after it was well known things never went beyond an allegation. Fast forward nine months and the first question Quinn gets at his presser is about this. Add in all of the lamenting about Quinn turning the Lions into the Patriots from the moment he arrived and I think you can see a pattern begin to emerge.

Complaints made about practices being too hard and Patricia losing the locker room ran rampant from the start of preseason on through til the end of the season, yet the team played hard every week. It didn't fold in the tents even after the team traded its 'best offensive player'. Not a week went by that we were not reminded that the Lions didn't keep Ebron; who was having a career year in a totally different environment. Only occasionally, later in the articles hammering this point home, was there mention of his inconsistencies while playing here and his desire to play elsewhere. Once Tate was traded were were 'treated' every week to reminders that neither he, nor Ebron, were around and the offense was suffering from their loss. Only after Patricia chastised a reporter for behaving unprofessionally did we hear about how 'unorganized' he was and how he was often late to meetings and was never on time for his own press conferences every week.

Out of all of the articles I have read that have been written about the Lions hiring Bevell only one of them has actually been positive. Only one bothered to reference others about the one single thing everyone focuses on that was negative about his OC tenure... the pick that sealed New England's SB win. Sorry, but I see an agenda by the press.

The best part of this hire is the press being caught flat footed. They had no clue. Everyone kept on about Patricia only hiring coaches with ties to Syracue or the Patriots, that Patricia wasn't going outside his comfort zone. Right now this is being spun as a fall back hire. I don't believe it. I don't believe it anymore than I believed Mayhew hired Caldwell as a fall back. It is my personal opinion that Mayhew wanted Caldwell from the start and only used other candidates as leverage/fallback options. It is only my gut feeling, but it is what I believe. I also think that Quinn and Patricia targeted Bevell from the start, but pursued others as leverage/fallback options. Bevell fits the mold better than the others if what I have read can be trusted.

Patricia believes in adaptability as the core strength of a team. I agree. Every year you have new personnel, maybe new coaches. Every game is different because of the opponent and the availability of your own players. By all accounts this is Bevell's wheelhouse as well. Only time will tell.

January 21st, 2019, 2:10 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Quote:
I disagree. The Lions are being portrayed as a disorganized disaster. I'm sorry, but the media has been against Patricia from the moment he was hired.

Thats not a factual statement. The first articles after the hire were mostly about how the Lions got there top choice, how Patricia picked the Lions over the Giants. How good of a fit it was with Quinn and how the Lions got the most sought after coach that was available. There were anecdotal stories about former players and how close of a personal relationship they had with Patricia - that they felt he really cared about them, loved them, etc. Mlive even wrote about how nice Patricia was and that he spend extra time chatting about Star Wars with one of there reporters. As someone not in favor of the hiring - I remember how overwhelmingly optimistic those articles were.

Quote:
The Lions claim they didn't know about the allegation of sexual assault that was made more than 20 years ago. Article after article went on about the allegation and the fact that the Lions 'somehow' didn't know about it and only one article that I read actually bothered to mention that most private company background checks only go back 20 years. Nor did the media give a damn that it was only ever an allegation that was unsupported and unpursued. The News and Free Press pinned an article about the allegation to their online sports page for weeks! Even after it was well known things never went beyond an allegation. Fast forward nine months and the first question Quinn gets at his presser is about this. Add in all of the lamenting about Quinn turning the Lions into the Patriots from the moment he arrived and I think you can see a pattern begin to emerge.

This didnt break until 3 months after Patricia was hired. It would have been completely irresponsible for the news outlets to not ask questions about what the Lions knew and when, as well as to be skeptical given Quinn s longstanding relationship with Patricia. It could have also been that the Lions skipped normal background checks bc he was supposedly so well known and vouched for by Quinn. I guarantee you that when the story broke in May - 3 months after Patricia was hired it set off all kinds of alarms among those in the front office and ownership. Ultimately they chose to stand by Patricia but there s no chance they poo-poo'd the situation as nothing but a mere allegation like you are doing. It wasnt all smiles in Allen Park when they found out the franchise savior and football savant was already hiding skeletons in the closet. Unless you ve been living under a rock you probably realize how much damage even remote previously unreported allegations can cause to individuals and organizations. As for the validity of the accusation - Patricia and his buddy were accused and arrested within about 2 hours of when the alleged gang rape occurred in March. He then spend 20 hours in jail. You can bet that during that time, a rape kit was collected. An investigation ensued for the next few months, Patricia and his buddy each had lawyers and he was indicted before a grand jury that July, indicating there was enough evidence to support a trial. It wasnt until the following January when the accuser decided she didnt want to testify that the prosecution decided to drop the case. This is quite a bit more than just unsubstantiated finger pointing.

Quote:
Complaints made about practices being too hard and Patricia losing the locker room ran rampant from the start of preseason on through til the end of the season, yet the team played hard every week. It didn't fold in the tents even after the team traded its 'best offensive player'. Not a week went by that we were not reminded that the Lions didn't keep Ebron; who was having a career year in a totally different environment. Only occasionally, later in the articles hammering this point home, was there mention of his inconsistencies while playing here and his desire to play elsewhere. Once Tate was traded were were 'treated' every week to reminders that neither he, nor Ebron, were around and the offense was suffering from their loss. Only after Patricia chastised a reporter for behaving unprofessionally did we hear about how 'unorganized' he was and how he was often late to meetings and was never on time for his own press conferences every week.

The Lions no showed the 4 preseason games, the opener and most of the San Francisco game. They then won 3 out of 4 and seemed to be showing life but were dominated by the Seahawks and flat out embarassed by there Punter to fall to 3-4. They were 1-0 in the division and had two division games coming up. You may think the team didnt quit but Bob Quinn quit on them with his Tate trade. Not exactly a vote of confidence in his faith in Patricia. Quinn signalled to his team that he was waiving the white flag and the Lions got pummelled against the Vikings and Bears for 3 straight dominating defeats. They caught a major break when Rivera decided to go for 2 and handed the Lions a win. The Lions put forth a good effort just once thereafter with Patricia making some puzzling game management decisions against the Bears and Rams. Good for them they dominated an Arizona team that was the worst team in the league. They lost more draft capital by beating a going through the motions Packers team in Week 17 then they got when they gave up on the season by trading Tate. Yippee, excuse me for not being satisfied with there 24th place medal this season.

Quote:
Out of all of the articles I have read that have been written about the Lions hiring Bevell only one of them has actually been positive. Only one bothered to reference others about the one single thing everyone focuses on that was negative about his OC tenure... the pick that sealed New England's SB win. Sorry, but I see an agenda by the press.

Most of the articles were lukewarm. The national media outlets were the ones saying the Lions were turned down by multiple other coordinator choices. Not sure why they would be trying to take down Patricia?

Quote:
The best part of this hire is the press being caught flat footed. They had no clue. Everyone kept on about Patricia only hiring coaches with ties to Syracue or the Patriots, that Patricia wasn't going outside his comfort zone. Right now this is being spun as a fall back hire. I don't believe it. I don't believe it anymore than I believed Mayhew hired Caldwell as a fall back. It is my personal opinion that Mayhew wanted Caldwell from the start and only used other candidates as leverage/fallback options. It is only my gut feeling, but it is what I believe. I also think that Quinn and Patricia targeted Bevell from the start, but pursued others as leverage/fallback options. Bevell fits the mold better than the others if what I have read can be trusted.

Sounds like you are just believing whatever you want to believe which is really a great way to be happy! Yay but you probably also believe the Colts were just using Josh McDaniels as a fallback option and wanted Frank Reich all the way last year. Why would the Lions hire Bevell after the other guys they interviewed signed elsewhere first?

Quote:
Patricia believes in adaptability as the core strength of a team. I agree. Every year you have new personnel, maybe new coaches. Every game is different because of the opponent and the availability of your own players. By all accounts this is Bevell's wheelhouse as well. Only time will tell.

Yet Patricia himself has not shown himself to be adaptable...interesting....

January 21st, 2019, 8:15 pm

I haven't really read any of the articles about the Bevell hire besides the first ones announcing the hire. Why exactly do people think Bevell was a fallback choice? Is there reports of contracts being offered to the other guys they interviewed? I thought Hackett and Sarkisian were pretty mediocre choices and with them bringing Davidson into the interviews I didn't expect them to just hire the first guy in for an interview. Anytime anyone ever interviews with the Lions and gets hired somewhere else everyone always goes immediately to them turning down the Lions, seems possible that after talking to them the Lions didn't feel they were the right fit.

January 22nd, 2019, 1:18 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

rao wrote:
I haven't really read any of the articles about the Bevell hire besides the first ones announcing the hire. Why exactly do people think Bevell was a fallback choice? Is there reports of contracts being offered to the other guys they interviewed? I thought Hackett and Sarkisian were pretty mediocre choices and with them bringing Davidson into the interviews I didn't expect them to just hire the first guy in for an interview. Anytime anyone ever interviews with the Lions and gets hired somewhere else everyone always goes immediately to them turning down the Lions, seems possible that after talking to them the Lions didn't feel they were the right fit.

Reports were from Pro Football Talk that the Lions were turned down by multiple candidates before offerring Bevell. I like Bevell more than Sarkisian. Hackett I thought might be a decent fit but I like Bevell more. Monken or Koetter could be better picks but not matches with Patricia's preferences. Considering what we saw from Patricia s influence on the offense comparing 2016 and 17 to 2018, I do think Bevell is a good choice and fit for the Lions. If true that other coaches turned them down, I wonder what that means for the difficulty of bringing in free agents. Quinn admitted that they couldnt sign the TEs they offerred in FA last year. How the team is viewed or portrayed whatever you want to call it, it may be a factor limiting the front office's ability to bring in talent. Its already an uphill battle for most Detroit sports teams anyway, probably moreso now for the Lions after the faceplant of 2018.

January 23rd, 2019, 10:29 pm

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:

Reports were from Pro Football Talk that the Lions were turned down by multiple candidates before offerring Bevell. I like Bevell more than Sarkisian. Hackett I thought might be a decent fit but I like Bevell more. Monken or Koetter could be better picks but not matches with Patricia's preferences. Considering what we saw from Patricia s influence on the offense comparing 2016 and 17 to 2018, I do think Bevell is a good choice and fit for the Lions. If true that other coaches turned them down, I wonder what that means for the difficulty of bringing in free agents. Quinn admitted that they couldnt sign the TEs they offerred in FA last year. How the team is viewed or portrayed whatever you want to call it, it may be a factor limiting the front office's ability to bring in talent. Its already an uphill battle for most Detroit sports teams anyway, probably moreso now for the Lions after the faceplant of 2018.

That makes more sense why I have seen such negativity on the Bevell hire. I'm with you in thinking he was the best hire for the team compared to the other guys that interviewed.

I believe the team is limited by their rep and the rep of the city/state as a whole. It's one of the reason I have been forgiving on Quinn signing stars and a proponent for the way he has managed the cap. TE wasn't the only position Quinn couldn't convince to join, they went after Butler and Sherman during the offseason and got turned down by both. It's a hard job making someone want to move to Detroit and join a team with it's best achievements just being in the playoffs and never winning a game.

January 23rd, 2019, 11:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next