View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 20th, 2019, 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2019 Free Agency 
Varsity Captain

Post 2019 Free Agency
Looks like we are signed Amendola.

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-sign-free-agent-wide-receiver-danny-amendola

Possibly favored to land Anthony Barr next.

https://sidelionreport.com/2019/03/10/detroit-lions-favorites-anthony-barr/

March 11th, 2019, 8:48 am
NFL Team Captain

Post Re: 2019 Free Agency
Safe, solid and inexpensive signing. Buying time while developing a possible draft pick?

March 11th, 2019, 12:37 pm
Varsity Captain

We also got Coleman and Flowers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/11/trey-flowers-reaches-deal-with-detroit/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/11/lions-closing-on-deal-with-cornerback-justin-coleman/

March 11th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Varsity Captain

Got Jesse James TE too. Wow. Active first day by BQ.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/11/jesse-james-contract-lions-steelers-nfl-free-agency

March 11th, 2019, 5:33 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Trey Flowers
Justin Coleman
Jesse James
Danny Amendola

There s a lot on mind with these signings and I will post more on them later with regards to being New England copycats, Patricia's status in the lockerroom, what does it say about there front office strategy, etc. The most positive thing however is that for the first time, Bob Quinn seems like he s going for it as GM of the Lions. Ill have some criticisms later but the Lions did improve the roster today.

March 12th, 2019, 12:38 am
#1 Overall Pick

3/4 ex-Patriots.

I get that there are advantages in going after players and personnel that you have personal experience with, in terms of de-risking the move, but the % of moves that Quinn makes that involves his own team in some way are absurd. If roughly half of our moves involve ex-Pats, we are failing to fish in the full talent pool we need to go after.

Having said that, that is 3 glaring needs addressed. Which makes it easier to run the draft in the most productive way possible for long term success - taking BPA and trades that are net positive. So that's helpful.

I am not convinced that Coleman is an outside corner, though, and I wouldn't have described slot corner as a glaring need. I also think there is a risk we have overpaid for Flowers.

Compared to last season, this looks like BQ knows he's not got much more slack left.

March 12th, 2019, 6:52 am
Team MVP

UK Lion wrote:
3/4 ex-Patriots.

I get that there are advantages in going after players and personnel that you have personal experience with, in terms of de-risking the move, but the % of moves that Quinn makes that involves his own team in some way are absurd. If roughly half of our moves involve ex-Pats, we are failing to fish in the full talent pool we need to go after.

Having said that, that is 3 glaring needs addressed. Which makes it easier to run the draft in the most productive way possible for long term success - taking BPA and trades that are net positive. So that's helpful.

I am not convinced that Coleman is an outside corner, though, and I wouldn't have described slot corner as a glaring need. I also think there is a risk we have overpaid for Flowers.

Compared to last season, this looks like BQ knows he's not got much more slack left.

There was a BIG difference last year when Agnew went down and we got abused over the middle. Vet corner in slot is wise, then go young outside.

March 12th, 2019, 10:37 am
Rookie Player of the Year

The only signing I'm unsure about is the the guy that isn't an ex-pat. James is average at best and he was probably the best TE in FA, I worry they had to pay him a premium just because of the crap TE market this off season. I'm sure he'll be an upgrade over last year, but if they don't hit a day one starter at TE in the draft then they are still going to be weak at the position.

People need to get over the whole ex-pat thing. Quinn and Patricia aren't miracle workers, they have to use whatever connections they have to bring players to Detroit. No one wants to move to Michigan or play for the Lions. If these moves pan out maybe that changes who wants to sign in the future or maybe just landing these guys lets them snag a couple mid tier guys a little cheaper this year. I don't buy the thought they are limiting themselves when looking at the available talent pool. They were said to be favorites for Barr and were rumored to be looking at Mosley and Mathieu. With how much money your paying Flowers, Mosley, or Barr, I think they made the right move taking the player that they know has succeeded in their defensive scheme.

With how much they are paying Coleman and the needs of the secondary you would think he's playing outside, but there are other nickle CBs starting to get the same type of money. Coleman is taller than Lawson, so they don't lose any size from last season. Maybe they plan to play him outside against 2 wr sets and move inside when there are more WRs on the field. Other than the CB2 spot the CB positions look very good at CB1, nickle, and dime with Agnew if he continues his improvement from before his injury.

March 12th, 2019, 11:10 am
Varsity Captain

Rumor is we just signed OL Oday Aboushi. A “well traveled vet” who played under Bevell in the past.

March 12th, 2019, 7:10 pm
Junior Varsity

I like all the signings, the two on defense seem to be what they're banking on for impact, while on offense they were addressing scheme fit. They set themselves up nicely to not have to reach on a particular position in the draft, I expect Quinn to take the best athlete if they dont trade back. Not to mention we still have 20m left to play with, we at the very least should be able to compete.

Side note, Ziggy hasnt signed anywhere. Perhaps he comes back on a more reasonable price

March 13th, 2019, 4:06 pm
NFL Team Captain

All Quinn did was plug the glaring needs in free agency prior to the draft. I doubt that he's done yet. In order to compete in our division these are all necessary additions as relying on draft picks to cover deficiencies is a potential recipe for failure. I have no problems with who they signed, actually, pleasantly surprised. Our D-LINE should be a monster next season. Can't wait to see who they draft to further enhance the future roster.

March 14th, 2019, 9:40 am
Martha Firestone Ford

Looks to me like we will be getting Greedy with our 1st pick. Coleman is a slot corner. Big upgrade from what we had. It looks like there will be an early run on the Dline. Which would you rather have, the 5th Dlineman? Or the 1st CB?

March 14th, 2019, 1:43 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Looks to me like we will be getting Greedy with our 1st pick. Coleman is a slot corner. Big upgrade from what we had. It looks like there will be an early run on the Dline. Which would you rather have, the 5th Dlineman? Or the 1st CB?

My top 5 DL are Bosa, Williams, Allen, Gary and Sweat. I have all 5 rated higher than my top corner. In fact, I'd add DT's Wilkins and Oliver in before I add a CB as well. I wouldn't be surprised if most teams also have Burns, Lawrence, Ferrell and Polite on their boards higher than their first corner whom I'm guessing most are rated in the bottom third of the first round.

Which corner do you want? Greedy? Has great measurements but shy's away from tackles and if you watch LSU he takes plays off. Watch when LSU has a pile of defenders on the guy with the ball and Greedy is typically the last on the pile. Murphy and Baker are under 6' and weigh about 180 - how is he going to handle a guy 4-5 inches taller with 30-40 pounds on him? Oruwariye and Ya-Sin are bigger, but at #8 - don't think so.

I like the idea of pairing a good corner with Slay but the value isn't there at 8, now if they trade down corner comes into play. The better value at CB will come in round two. Also, the correlation of an edge rusher to his draft pick is very high, it drops off pretty quickly after the top of the draft.

That said, I'm not crazy with the idea of the #5 DL - but the more I look at it if one of the top 4 slide to 8 like Allen or Gary who I'm coming more around on. For that to happen you just need 3 non-DL to be taken in the top 7 which I think can happen. You know at least one QB goes in the top 7 (Cardinals or Giants), I thinking both Murray and Haskins go quickly. OL Jawaan Taylor, looks like he will go in the top 7 as well (Giants or Jaguars). I wouldn't be surprised if WR D.K. Metcalf or LB Devin White go in the top 7 either and a TE could also sneak in.

March 15th, 2019, 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

I keep waiting for Quinn to pull a Belichick and trade down out of the first round.

March 16th, 2019, 8:40 am
League MVP

Pablo, im with you as far as my board goes. There would have to be a lot of things happen before I would take one of those corners. I would never take Greedy at 8. I believe he is worth the 15-20th pick, but not top 10. Matter of fact, I'm not so sure I like Greedy over Byron Murphy.

March 17th, 2019, 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next