View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Detroit Pistons 2006-2007 

How many games will it take the Detroit Pistons to beat the Cleveland Cavaliers??
Poll ended at August 13th, 2006, 11:43 pm
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
6 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
7 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

Detroit Pistons 2006-2007 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Detroit Pistons 2006-2007
Okay, I know the Detroit Pistons are still in the playoffs (going to play the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2nd round), but I decided to research the free agent market anyways. Currently, the 2006 Detroit free agents are Ben Wallace, Tony Delk, Lindsay Hunter, and Kelvin Cato. I'm 99% sure that Ben Wallace will stay in Detroit, no matter what happens in the playoffs. However, Lindsay Hunter and Tony Delk are both getting up there in age and might retire after the season. I really don't know anything about Kelvin Cato, but he's not important here. The possible Detroit Pistons needs for next season are the Center position (better depth behind Ben Wallace) and the Point Guard (depth-assuming Hunter and Delk don't come back). If either Hunter or Delk come back next year, the point guard position won't be as much of a need, but no matter what happens better depth at center is a definite need. These positions could be addressed in the draft, but the Pistons only have a 2nd round pick and probably won't be able to get much talent from that pick. Below, I've compiled a list of the most well-known and suitable free agents that the Detroit Pistons should target this offseason to fill the vacant positions. The players I highlighted in bold are the ones I feel would best benefit the team. The following link is where I got all my information: http://www.nationwide.net/~patricia/contracts

Center:
Keith Van Horn
(Dallas)
Vladimir Radmanovic (LA Clippers)
Lorenzen Wright (Memphis)
Alonzo Mourning (Miami)
Tim Thomas (Phoenix)
Brian Grant (Phoenix)
Joel Przybilla (Portland)
Nazr Mohammed(San Antonio)

Point Guard:
Darrel Armstrong (Dallas)
Chucky Atkins(Memphis)
Bobby Jackson(Memphis)
Gary Payton (Miami)
Bonzi Wells (Sacramento)
Nick Van Exel (San Antonio)
Michael Finley(San Antonio)
Mike James(Toronto)

May 5th, 2006, 11:43 pm
Profile YIM

May 6th, 2006, 11:06 pm
Profile YIM
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Ben Wallace will be resigned. Dumars is not going to let him go anywhere.

Dale Davis will still be signed as the backup into next season behind Ben.

Lindsey is almost sure to retire after the season.

I wouldn't mind resigning Delk on a 2 year deal. He has been very valuable and is only 31.

I really don't think the Pistons have any needs outside of maybe another guard for depth if Lindsey retires. They are set at all positions.

As for no 1st round picks this year, that is not completely correct. We got a 1st round pick for this years draft from Orlando for Darko. The pick is conditional. We only get it this year if the pick is not in the top 5. If it is a top 5 pick, then we get their 1st round pick next year.

Tim

May 8th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Are you sure TADone?? I thought for sure we get Orlando's 1st round pick in 2007, regardless of which position they draft this year.

Anyways, I was just throwing some ideas out there of possible Free Agents to sign. Obviously, Free Agency hasn't begun and so there's no telling which positions we will need to fill for next year. Also, the way our bench players play in the playoffs will be a great indicator of whether or not we need an upgrade at that position.

Carlos Delfino is a really solid player and will only get better. I could see him becoming a starter for the Detroit Pistons in the future, in a similar role to Manu Ginobli of the San Antonio Spurs. Antonio McDyess is no doubt a 6th starter and would be starting for any other team in the league. Maurice Evans has great athleticism and shoots a good 3-ball. So once again the only positions that the Pistons might need to address this offseason will be that of the Point Guard and Center. Dale Davis could be upgraded, and Kelvin Cato is a free agent after the season. Lindsay Hunter will probably retire after the season, and Tony Delk is also a free agent at the end of the season. Assuming the Pistons re-sign Ben Wallace, there is still a posssiblity of 3 players not being with the team next year. The list above are the top free agents available next year.

Anybody have any favorites from the lists above of who we should target, if the position needs to be filled next season?? The leading candidate at the PG position is definitely Chucky Atkins, who would probably be most willing to come to Detroit (seeing how he used to be the starting PG). And my favorites for the center position are Keith Van Horn and Nazr Mohammed.

May 9th, 2006, 3:20 pm
Profile YIM
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joe D would be just plain stupid to get rid of Big Ben so I believe our starting 5 will be intact for next year.

I like Van Horn wouldn't mind seeing him come here.. but I think as far as center goes we need another guy that can come off the bench and be a big rebounder defensive player for us, we have the offense we need. I can see Delk coming back to back up Chauncy we could use one more PG but of the FA listed I see most of them staying with the team they currently are on and the others IMO I wouldn't bring in.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 9th, 2006, 5:25 pm

Joe D would be just plain stupid to get rid of Big Ben so I believe our starting 5 will be intact for next year.

I like Van Horn wouldn't mind seeing him come here.. but I think as far as center goes we need another guy that can come off the bench and be a big rebounder defensive player for us, we have the offense we need. I can see Delk coming back to back up Chauncy we could use one more PG but of the FA listed I see most of them staying with the team they currently are on and the others IMO I wouldn't bring in.

So you like Keith Van Horn coming here and contributing off the bench?? That would give us 2 biggies (McDyess and Van Horn) coming off the bench, which this team hasn't had in a while. McDyess is the only big that contributes off the bench, and I definitely think another one could be real helpful come playoff time. If Delk does re-sign then he would be our primary PG behind Chauncy Billups and so the Pistons might want to draft a PG in the 2nd round (like Gray, Darius Washington, Dee Brown, or Jerry McNamera) to replace Lindsey Hunter and to mold behind Chauncy Billups, because I don't see Alex Acker as the Piston's future Point Guard.

May 9th, 2006, 5:44 pm
Profile YIM

I confirmed that the Pistons get Orlando's pick in the 1st round this year, unless the pick is in the top 5, then we get Orlando's pick in next years 1st round regardless of the spot they pick.

As for Van Horn, he is really not a need since we have Dice. I really don't think his game compliments our style anyway of defense first. He is not a great rebounder and plays soft. No thanks.

I really think the Pistons will try to resign Cato to a vet minimum contract. He is decent when in shape and is a willing worker. Look for Joe to get a project big man in the draft if we get Orlando's pick this year.

Regarding Acker, I'm not sure why you are writing him off already. We knew he wasn't going to play this year and will get little playing time next year as well. But the coaches and scouts have said good things about him and Amir Johnson's play in the D-League. With a year under his belt and some summer league play, he'll be much better next year. Add in the fact that Chauncey and Lindsey are mentoring him and the fact that Saunders is very good at developing offensive talent, I think Acker may surprise in a few years.

Tim

May 10th, 2006, 12:49 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Is it too late to change my vote from 5 games to 4 games? LOL. The Cavaliers have given up. :lol:

May 10th, 2006, 8:31 pm

As for no 1st round picks this year, that is not completely correct. We got a 1st round pick for this years draft from Orlando for Darko. The pick is conditional. We only get it this year if the pick is not in the top 5. If it is a top 5 pick, then we get their 1st round pick next year.

www.nbadraft.net

I just checked on it and the Detroit Pistons only have a 2nd round pick this year (the last pick in the draft) so basically this year's draft is shot. The only decent players we'll be able to add next season will be via Free Agency.

Anyways, next year the Detroit Pistons will have an awesome draft. The Pistons will get their own 1st round pick, along with Orlando's 1st round pick (for Darko Milicic). Then the Pistons will get their own 2nd round pick, along with Minnesota's 2nd round pick (for Ronald Dupree). So this year's draft won't be very exciting to watch but the 2007 NBA draft could be absolute dynamite for the Detroit Pistons. They'll get 4 picks overall (2 in the 1st round and 2 in the 2nd round)

May 11th, 2006, 3:01 pm
Profile YIM

www.nbadraft.net

I just checked on it and the Detroit Pistons only have a 2nd round pick this year (the last pick in the draft) so basically this year's draft is shot. The only decent players we'll be able to add next season will be via Free Agency.

Anyways, next year the Detroit Pistons will have an awesome draft. The Pistons will get their own 1st round pick, along with Orlando's 1st round pick (for Darko Milicic). Then the Pistons will get their own 2nd round pick, along with Minnesota's 2nd round pick (for Ronald Dupree). So this year's draft won't be very exciting to watch but the 2007 NBA draft could be absolute dynamite for the Detroit Pistons. They'll get 4 picks overall (2 in the 1st round and 2 in the 2nd round)

Preston,

You will not see Detroit with a 1st round pick in this years draft, because again the pick is conditional. What that means is that it is Orlando's pick until they do the draft lottery and Stern or Granik do the bouncing ball thing to determine the order of the lottery teams. What they are showing you is the probable spots that each team picks in. Thus, if the draft order was to fall that way, Detroit would replace Orlando in the #11 spot and that would be our compensation for the Darko trade.

Now, if the Magic happen to luck out and land in the top 5 picks per the draft lottery, then we would get their 1st rounder next year regardless of draft position. So in that case then yes, we would have 2 1st round picks next year.

But with the way Orlando finished the season (just missing the playoffs), there chances at getting in the top 5 are very slim and our chances at getting their pick this year are actually much better.

Tim

May 11th, 2006, 3:19 pm

So if Orlando gets the 6th pick in the draft the Pistons would get it?? That means we could possibly land someone like J.J. Reddick or Adam Morrison. Any other ideas of who we should target??

May 11th, 2006, 6:54 pm
Profile YIM
So if Orlando gets the 6th pick in the draft the Pistons would get it?? That means we could possibly land someone like J.J. Reddick or Adam Morrison. Any other ideas of who we should target??

I would be extremely pissed if we drafted Adam Morrison!...

May 11th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Haven't really had a chance to review all the players, but I know that Redick is not worth the 6th selection. He is one dimensional, kind of like Steve Kerr.

Adam Morrison is heck of an offensive talent and would be the backup to Tayshaun, but we have been down this road before with Carmelo. Morrison is good enough to start and he doesn't fit our team persona (ie: defense first).

I would look for Joe to draft a project backup guard like Randy Foye from Villanova, Marcus Williams from UConn, or Brandon Roy from Washington.

If not a guard, then he will draft a backup big man project like Patrick O'Bryant from Bradley or Shelden Williams from Duke.

Tim

May 12th, 2006, 10:44 am

TADOne , where are you getting your sources from?? I've found 2 other 2006 NBA mock drafts that do not have the Detroit Pistons getting the Magic's 1st round pick this year, along with support from the Detroit Pistons official website. I'm like 99% sure that you have false information. Which means that the only Detroit Pistons pick this year will be # 60 (the last pick in the draft).

However, like I've mentioned eariler, the Detroit Pistons will have an amazing 2007 draft. The Pistons will obtain The Orlando Magic's 1st round pick (top 5 protected) giving them two 1st round selections, along with the Timberwolves' 2nd round pick giving them two 2nd round selections. 4 selections overall!! This team will only get better over the next couple of years.

May 12th, 2006, 5:00 pm
Profile YIM
TADOne , where are you getting your sources from?? I've found 2 other 2006 NBA mock drafts that do not have the Detroit Pistons getting the Magic's 1st round pick this year, along with support from the Detroit Pistons official website. I'm like 99% sure that you have false information. Which means that the only Detroit Pistons pick this year will be # 60 (the last pick in the draft).

However, like I've mentioned eariler, the Detroit Pistons will have an amazing 2007 draft. The Pistons will obtain The Orlando Magic's 1st round pick (top 5 protected) giving them two 1st round selections, along with the Timberwolves' 2nd round pick giving them two 2nd round selections. 4 selections overall!! This team will only get better over the next couple of years.

For Christ's sake preston...

Quote:
If Orlando's first-round pick next year is No. 5 or better, the Magic will keep it. If it's not, the Pistons will acquire the Magic's 2008 first-round slot.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1625056

I was under the same impression as TAD, and there's some documentation...

I wouldn't mind drafting Reddick... The guy is clutch, hits big shots, and would be a great addition off of the bench. When I look at Reddick I see a guy that is one dimensional, but a guy that can come in and contribute ASAP. He could provide a spark when we have trouble scoring, and he could provide offense when we pull our starting lineup... At this point in time when we pull our starters our 2's give up the lead quickly from not being able to score... Reddick could change a lot of that. In addition the guy has a great outside shot, and can play D a little too... I can see him starting at SG in a few years...

May 12th, 2006, 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next