View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 11:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Simeone Rice a Lion? 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Simeone Rice a Lion?
The Lions need a pass rusher, and Tampa Bay defensive end Simeon Rice is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent March 2.

Rice, Marinelli and Barry know each other well. Marinelli was the Buccaneers' defensive line coach for 10 years before he came to Detroit last January.

Barry declined to comment because Rice is still under contract with the Bucs, except to say, "Simeon Rice is a special player. A lot of the success we had in Tampa Bay was because of Simeon."

Not sure how I feel about this. I think Rice is waaaaay past his prime, but perhaps can help our defensive ends with work ethic and the system?

The phone rings at 3AM in the White House, McCain replies call me at 9:30

January 4th, 2007, 8:17 am
Head Cheerleader

The Lions should sign him and use him as a situational pass rusher. Plus he might light a fire under Kalimba's badonkadonk.

January 4th, 2007, 1:34 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Rice is downside of his career. He was injuried this year, so i say offer him the league minimum with incentives for 2 years.

January 4th, 2007, 5:06 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Lions should sign him and use him as a situational pass rusher. Plus he might light a fire under Kalimba's badonkadonk.

I agree with this line of thinking as long as it's a reasonable contract.

January 4th, 2007, 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie Player of the Year

I think signing Rice would be a mistake. He will require a lot of money and at his age, one injury could spell the end of his career. He missed 8 games this year.

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

January 4th, 2007, 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
IMO Rice will want too much money, and we'll get him anyway... Marinelli and Barry are probably drooling over the possiblities of getting the guy... We'll offer him a huge contract, sell it as Kool Ade and Corn Bread, and suck again next year..

Screw Rice... Gandy and Stienbach should be our targets, with a side of Nick Harper if we can move Dre...

January 4th, 2007, 8:49 pm

If he comes cheap... go for it. He hasn't missed more than 1 game in any season except last year. BUT, dude's got 10 years in the NFL. How many more does he have left?
Sign him for one year for the bare minimum and see what he's got left and take it from there.
But I will be extremely unhappy if we sign him to a 5-year $40M dollar contract like GB did with Woodson. I'm utterly shocked that Woodson didn't go down for the whole year in his first game in a Packers uniform.

Injuries are the biggest problem with the Lions and we don't need to throw a bunch of cash at a guy on the downside of his career.

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather." -Bill Hicks

January 4th, 2007, 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/07/Bucs/ ... and_.shtml

It's making the paper down there...

Quote:
Rumors link Rice and Lions

Detroit might be a willing partner if the Bucs decide to trade veteran Simeon Rice

By RICK STROUD
Published January 7, 2007
ADVERTISEMENT

TAMPA - During training camp, Simeon Rice stood on the sideline with the rest of the starting defensive line. The talk was about a familiar anthem that had made them one of the best units in the NFL.

"Four playing as one," Rice repeated several times.

Later in the week, the end bemoaned the loss of defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, who coined the phrase.

"I miss my little Italian friend," Rice said of the Lions coach.

Did he ever.

Rice had just two sacks in eight games before succumbing to season-ending surgery on his left shoulder.

Last week, Rice returned to the new training facility to resume rehabilitation.

General manager Bruce Allen, noting the Bucs finished tied for 30th in the league in sacks, sounded as if the team would welcome Rice back with open arms.

"He looks good. He's always been one of the most phenomenal training athletes you'll ever meet," Allen said. "Clearly this season, there are two really poor performances by us. Our quarterback position performed poorly, and our defensing the quarterback position performed poorly.

"Now when people look at that and say quarterbacks get a lot of blame and too much credit at times, it is a true statement because when an opponent's quarterback rating is so high, that's due to pass rush. It's due to coverage. A lot of sacks are based on good coverage, and a lot of interceptions are based on great pass rush. We missed the dozen sacks that Simeon would've brought; that he has brought the last five or six years in the NFL."

Rice has one year left on his contract that will pay him $7.25-million. Despite all of the professed love for Rice, you have to wonder if the Bucs won't attempt to trade him this offseason.

The perfect partner? Marinelli and the Lions.

Rice will be 33 next month, and the Bucs aren't likely to re-sign him after 2007. Tampa Bay owns four of the first 68 picks in the draft and could take a defensive end with its first or second choice.

The Rice-to-the-Lions rumor has been getting a lot of ink in the Detroit newspapers and Pro Football Weekly the past week.

The Lions need a pass rusher off the edge. And Detroit has what the Bucs lack, a surplus of defensive tackles: Shaun Rogers, Cory Redding and Shaun Cody. Redding is an unrestricted free agent who likely will re-sign. Don't expect the Lions to give up on Rogers, arguably their best player. Cody has played only 22 games in two seasons.

The Bucs are $24-million under the salary cap, and they could acquire a defensive end via free agency.

However, don't forget about the possibility of a trade or two.

"I think there will be some opportunities in that," Allen said. "There are some discussions that are already going on around the league. And whether it's trades, free agency or the draft, we're looking into acquiring players."

January 8th, 2007, 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

I think it would definately be a good move at the right price!

January 8th, 2007, 2:59 pm
Profile YIM
Site Admin

I am tired of stop gaps and old vets. Let's go young. Rice will be 33 next month.

January 8th, 2007, 3:08 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

normally i would lean towards establishing your team with youth.

but that might not be an option for rod or millen... as youth takes time to develope.. and time is not on either of those guys side, they need to show somthing next year. millen won't hesitate to turn on and throw rod under the bus if he can sqeek another year as pres. out of wcf.

and Rod needs this team competitive asap.. if he wants to save his HC
job with the lions.

its not a situation the lends to team building the correct way..
but may be forced on Rod to get the chance to contine a long term building
plan.

so if the price is right.. it may jump start the Defense and get the tampa 2
more functional for detriot in the short term.

January 8th, 2007, 3:35 pm
Site Admin

That's my problem though...right now the structure of this team will be predicated on what's in the best interest for Millens and Rod's jobs...which certainly does not equate to what's best for the team.

January 8th, 2007, 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
3rd Round Selection

If they cut him then sure I have no problem with offering him a contract but the trade rumours need to stop....you don't trade for 33 year olds you just dont do it it's a horrible idea and would be insane.

January 8th, 2007, 6:41 pm

Yeah if they give up anything except a couple of scrubs for him off the PS then they are fools. A two year deal for Rice if he's cut is fine but to trade anything of value for a 33 year old is franchise disaster. Look how well Washington trading for an signing players that are either in or past their prime. Those are the type of players you get when you are a legitimate contender and only one or two players from being Super Bowl caliber.

January 8th, 2007, 6:59 pm

Simeon Rice would have his advantages, though. How many starters on the defense have experience running the Tampa 2?
How many pro-bowlers on the defense have experience with the Tampa 2?
See what I'm getting at? I think he could be someone the entire defense looks up to and learns from, even if he only plays 3rd downs, there is plenty of upside.
Still wouldn't sign him for too much, but there is a tremendous upside here.

January 8th, 2007, 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next