View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 11th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 HB's Draft Board 
NFL Veteran

Post HB's Draft Board
Tough one because the need/value ratio is so off this year. You will see completely polarized picks. One is slotted because value is way too high to pass up, the other is need of a player merits a reach.

High Priority Needs: Pass Rush (DE?), Safety, Middle Linebacker, Guard
Moderate Needs: No. 2 Reciever, Quarterback, Tight End
Serviceable, Can wait a year: Right Tackle, SSLB, Running Back (Unhealthy Kevin Jones), Center
Set: Defensive Tackle, WSLB, Running Back (Healthy Kevin Jones)

Seeing that we will trade down probably no lower than 10, the board is

1. Calvin Johnson WR - Top prospect by a mile. After him the dropoff is ridiculous. He seems like a man among boys. Makes tough catches, can make the catch with defenders being physical. And he can flat out fly, the tape shows he can outrun smaller corners. Which is why I'd either keep him, or give him up only if I get a mad crazy trade offer on the order of Ditka's selling the farm for Ricky Williams, or at least the pilliaging job that San Diego pulled on the Giants for Eli Manning.

2. Patrick Willis MLB - He's the best defensive prospect in draft. I'm probably the only one saying that. But I believe it's true. And I truly believe he can do for Detroit what Ray Lewis did for the Ravens, and what Urlacher does for the Bears. If he does that, there should be no questions as to value.

3. Joe Thomas OT - One of three elite prospects I agree on as to value. He has phenomenal footwork and technique. Wisconsin's line sucked, but if you just focus on him, the film doesn't lie, he completely erases his man off the field. He also moves well in the open field, something that is valuable for our offense.

4. Laron Landry FS - Second best defensive prospect. Something in between Sean Taylor and Michael Huff. Love his speed, and gritty aggressiveness. Tackles well, and can lay wood better than anyone in this draft.

5. Adrian Peterson RB - The other elite prospect. Not as fluid and polished as KJ, but runs with that same fearless aggression. More reckless though, and I fear he will be injury prone in the NFL. When healthy though, he is football fast.

6. Jamaal Anderson DE - Pass rushed better than the 'best' passrusher. He had more sacks than Gaines. Love his character.

7. Leon Hall CB - Weak cornerback class, but doesn't matter too much for Tampa 2. Hall is good in run support and will have help from our Safety, but he's instantly better than anyone else on our roster.

8. Levi Brown OT - I would love to have his mean streak on our right side.

9. Darelle Revis CB - Won't get away with being physical pass the 10 yard line, but is also an upgrade over all CB's on our roster, and the Tampa 2 Will make him look like a probowler... if we get the right safety and passrush.

10. Jamarcus Russell QB - Too much of a risk to draft top 5 for me. I will take the gamble if in the slim chance he falls out of the top 10 he's available after we trade. I do like his tools and skillset to take a chance on him where the stakes aren't so high.

11. Gaines Adams DE - He's the 'best' pass rusher.

12. Amobi Okoye DT - We are also gambling on the fact that his potential is huge. Can he add a couple of inches and 20-25 pounds of muscle and improve his athleticism? Good insurance policy in case Redding leaves.

13. Brady Quinn QB - Trade Bait. Purely value. I don't want him.

14. Jarvis Moss DE - Second best pass rusher. He actually looks more like a Tampa Two Pass rusher than Adams does.

15. Ben Grubbs OG - Best guard in the draft, should be a perennial pro-bowler. The position really downgrades his value though.

That said there are only 3 players I want to see in a Lions uniform. Calvin Johnson, Patrick Willis, or Laron Landry. Two players I can live with are Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson. If we don't land any of those players, and we don't get like a 3 first rounders next year, I will be pissed and upset. It would a total waste of the no. 2 pick, used or traded. I've never been so scared of what Millen will do before.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue on April 28th, 2007, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 28th, 2007, 6:32 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Rookie

Curious why you think Dominic Raiola is not good enough at Center?

April 28th, 2007, 8:49 am
RIP Killer

Have you seen him play? lol

April 28th, 2007, 10:35 am
Div 1 - Starter

HB, as always, I agree almost entirely with your draft board and attendant opinions. I even concur with the top three as the only guys worthy of a top 5 pick.

I want an unconscionable ransom if I'm we're getting A#1, Calvin Johnson.

My only potential point of contention would be that I am not as down on Gaines Adams as you seem to be. I would take him over Jamaal Anderson and Amobi Okoye, but not before Landry.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 28th, 2007, 11:26 am
RIP Killer

Actually I'm in total agreement with you on Willis - and I'm sure I'm not along. I'm also way down on Adams as well.

My board:

1. J. Russell
2. P. Willis
3. C. Johnson
4. A. Peterson
5. L. Landry
6. J. Thomas
7. L. Brown
8. J. Anderson
9. D. Revis
10. M. Lynch
11. L. Hall
12. A. Okoye
13. A. Carriker
14. B. Grubbs
15. A. Branch

Yes, no Gaines Adams or Brady Quinn in my top 15 - but that's just me.

April 28th, 2007, 11:40 am
Profile WWW
NFL Veteran

I didn't necessarily say Center was a need. It's serviceable. I think Satele would be an upgrade over Raiola.

Also, thank goodness Oaktown picked JR. Now the draft is in the Lions hands. If they picked CJ, I think we would have to reach for Willis or Landry because I do not think that anyone would give a worthwhile trade to the Lions.

Gaines is just bad. I've watched games, and he just does not stand out like a top 5 should. He is dominated 80% of the time, and shows flashes. NOT good. You don't waste a pick on a one dimensional DE who does not look good on tape, nor is known for his work ethic.

Pablo, well done! I should have thrown Gaines and Quinn off my board! But alas they have some value which you can use to trade for.

April 28th, 2007, 12:27 pm
Profile WWW

He's undersized, weak, has short arms, doesn't get good leverage, and... most of all... he sux...

He has a good football mind... whoopty-do... maybe he should be an OL coach, cause he sure as poop can't play... At least not within our schemes... On a team like Denver he might be able to hold his own... They're a team built around smaller, athletic OL-man... He doesn't fit in here, and sticks out like a sore thumb as a HUGE weakspot right dab smack in the middle of our OL... IMO we'll never have a good OL as long as Backus and Raiola are on the Lions... unless we re-tool and go smaller/finess... but that's not going to happen...

April 29th, 2007, 3:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]